Looking for some help

jhpby
on 3/21/12 11:16 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I have been really struggling lately with my eating. I feel like I don't know what the right foods are to eat. I have the protein handout but I am loooking for a bit more. My understanding is I should be having 2-3oz of protein per meal and 1/4 cup of carbs and a 1/4 cup of veggies. I think where I am feeling lost is I am not positive about how many calories, carbs, protein, grams of fat etc that I should be eating in a day. Without these numbers I am struggling at creating a plan.

I am so afraid of falling back in to old habits and it is already starting! I am not a dumper so I don't have to be restrictive in how much I eat in 1 serving....But I do want to be restrictive in what i eat in a day though! Also, if I chose to, I could easily eat 2 cups of food...I feel like there is very limited restrictions

I currently weigh 245 down from 341 and I am 5'9. I had my surgery Sept 26/11 at TWH.

FYI: I am also going through the cognitive behaviour therapy program that was recommended by the dietician

Here is my meal plan for today:
Breakfast: Protein shake (30g)
Snack: Nature valley protein granola bar 
Lunch: Spagetti....probably around 1/4-1/2 cup and half of a chicken breast with cheese and salsa on it
Snack: Greek yogurt
Snack: Fibre 1 granola bar
Dinner: Unsure

Just wondering if people could give me some direction....feeling kind of lost!

Jenn

HW- 343     CW- 266.4  SW- 314                                        My  is suberman!       

charm64
on 3/21/12 11:23 pm - Cambridge, Canada
 I try and stay away from any type of granola bar's or pasta.  For me I would rather get carbs from Veggies.
Maybe instead of a protein bars for snack take a turkey pepperette.

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

Wlxtn
on 3/22/12 12:00 am - Orillia, Canada

I tend to agree. My dietician instructed me to stay away from granola bars and quick fix snacks. I stick with fruits and vegy's always. I eat pasta maybe once a week although I do eat rice a little more. Sometimes I snack on nuts as well but the dietician asked me not to do this often because of the calories.
All will work out in the end for you.

Wendy Luxton    
PatXYZ
on 3/22/12 1:36 am
The fat in nuts is really healthy and good for you, there is nothing wrong with having a serving everyday! Especially walnuts.
happypants
on 3/21/12 11:54 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Jenn I would replace the store bought granola bars with some cheese and apple as a snack. I agree with Char about the spaghetti as well.

If I can make a suggestion though. I would really watch the pepperettes and processed meats in general. The dietitian at the weight management clinic said they are not the best food choice as they are loaded with sodium and other junk. Her suggestion to me was to replace the pepperettes with real home cooked chicken breast or homemade beef jerky, the less processed the better.

I would also suggest replacing the spaghetti with quinoa. I use it all the time in place of spaghetti and rice. The quinoa is so much more healthy and loaded in nutrition.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

DebbieML
on 3/22/12 1:26 am - Gloucester, Canada
YES, I agree.  I also use quinoa all the time now.  It is my new favorite side dish.
Debbie
Referal: June 23, 2011;  Info: August 26, 2011;  Dr.: July3, 2012; U/S: July 13, 2012;  Beh/Nut: Aug 13, 2012;  Ed class: Aug 22, 2012;  Scope: Sept 7, 2012;  Met with surgeons fellow: Sept 17, 2012; SURGERY: Nov 16, 2012 with Dr. Mamazza.  

J_J
on 3/22/12 12:04 am - Barrie, Canada
My understanding (and I am no expert) is that you should only have about 15g of protein at each meal as your body can't absorb much more than this at a time.

In general I go with the premise that "real" food is always better then prepackage food.  So you might want to add some fruit to your day.  Also is the paste you are using whole grain?

I might re-do your day to look more like this...

B - 1/2 protein shake, some fruit
S - 1/2 protein shake, some fruit
L - whole grain pasta (or even better spaghetti squash) with 1/2 a chicken breast, low fat cheese and salsa
S - turkey pepperettes or some tuna on a couple of whole wheat crackers
D - grilled salmon (or some other fish) with roasted veggies...if I had pasta for lunch I would not have any starches for dinner...but if you used squash at lunch you could include 1/2 a small potato or some brown rice

Hope this helps...and remember I'm no expert.

Jackie

PatXYZ
on 3/22/12 1:38 am
Another board I visit has a doctor on it and he said the issue of not being able to absorb more than (15g, 20g) whatever amount of protein is actually false. He said that our bodies actually absorb proteain more effectively if we give it a large serving like 30-50g at a time, such as through a protein shake.
J_J
on 3/22/12 1:50 am - Barrie, Canada
Good to know.  Thanks!

BrigitteD
on 3/22/12 12:43 am - Sumerstown, Canada
Journal, journal, journal!

Highs weigh   241                                      Referal: November, 2010
Before opti     231                                      Surgery date: May 10, 2012
After opti        220                                           

Most Active
Recent Topics