Need Suggestions

Catw
on 2/2/12 4:00 am - Arnprior, Canada
Hi Everyone, 

My birthday is coming up, and my Mom wants to make me supper which is fine, as the stew she plans will be good.  But it was suggested that I get my DH to pick up a chocolate cake at the Antrim Truck Stop.  This used to be my favorite desert from there (it is really rich, and tastes really good), but that's before surgery, and I haven't had it in 8 months.  I look at it and know that for me it would probably be "Death by chocolate" or at least make me feel like that after a couple bites.

I would like to have a special desert on that day, but not sure what to have.  Does anyone have any suggestions/recipes of something that is not SF Jello or something everyday. (Not that I have deserts much any more, it's a special treat if I do).

Thanks for your help.
Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/12 4:06 am, edited 2/2/12 4:08 am - Canada
It's your birthday. Have your favorite dessert. Just have a bite of it not the whole slice. It's a special day.

My 40th is coming up in April & that's what I'm planning. A bite is gonna do me fine. I know now that I don't need to eat the whole cake anymore.

ETA: I absolutely hate sugar-free desserts that's why I didn't suggest one. I'm one of those "have the real deal" type of person.
laura S.
on 2/2/12 4:13 am - London, Canada

I had a sugar free banana pudding/dream whip/chunks of real banana dessert that was REALLY good.  Might be a thought it you like that sort of thing.

The other thought would be to cut off a seriously tiny piece of the cake and chew the hell out of it.  I can't do bread/cake/etc., but if I only have a couple of bites and chew it to death, I find I can enjoy it and not feel deprived and not get that nasty lump of brick feeling in my pouch too!  lol

Happy early birthday!

Laura

sam1am
on 2/2/12 4:14 am
Hi Cathy,

Happy upcoming birthday!

I am not a big sweet eater, but occasionally love a sugar free "Turtle" or something like that, or how about checking out the recipe forum and making a sugar free chocolate cake?  I imagine there are recipes in there.  I know I have posted a banana bread (that is delicious) and sugar free on the recipe board, that you could stick a candle in, love and get protein in at the same time!

All the best!

In case you're not on the recipe board, here you go - its awesome!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/discussion/

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Marny B.
on 2/2/12 4:26 am, edited 2/2/12 4:26 am - Canada
Drumstick Pie- totally decadent, but still fairly low in sugar. I had a small piece and was very satisfied because it is a rich dessert. Here is the original recipe and (in red), how I modified it. I ma sure you could get a bunch of things from the Low Carb Grocer to use that are either sugar free or low in suggar. In a dessert thought, I'd be carefull, too many sugar alcohols (from artificial sweeteners), makes me dump more than sugar does. It would be awful to dump horribly on your birthday, and it is not worth it really. Have you also thought about looking for a specialty bakery that offers sugar free cupcakes? I find cupcakes are good because they as portioned, and it's easy to give away the extras so they are not sitting around the house. If you have access to the states, they have SF cake mixes and iciings, but I find the icin is a bit weird tasting. I haven't made the cake mix so can't comment. Anyhoo, here's my recipe for a fairly harmless, but VERY yummy dessert:

Drumstick Pie: a.k.a "Sex in a Pan"

1 c. peanuts, crushed
2 c. vanilla wafers, crushed ( I used the Lifestyles Peek Freen Cookies and whizzed them in my Bullet, but you could also use any SF cookie that would make a ggod crust. I know Voortman's has a selection of SF cookies)
1/2 c. melted butter (margarine)
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese (Used Philidelphia Ultra Low Fat)
1/3 c. peanut butter (Used all natural, SF )
1 c. confectioners' sugar (used Splenda)
4 c. Cool Whip (Lowest Fat cool whip I could find. Would be great if you could find SF)
2 sm. pkgs. chocolate instant pudding (SF JEllo Pudding)
3 c. milk (Skim)
1 chocolate candy bar (Omitted this)

Mix vanilla wafers, 2/3 cup peanuts, and butter together. Pat in 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool. Mix cream cheese, peanut butter, and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in 2 cups Cool Whip. Layer over crumb mixture and refrigerate.

MEANWHILE, mix pudding and milk together. Pour over layers in pan; refrigerate until set. Spread remaining 2 cups Cool Whip over pudding. Top with remaining peanuts. Grate chocolate candy bar over top. Cover and place in freezer. May be served directly from freezer.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Joyce J.
on 2/2/12 4:32 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there
These special occasions are so hard.
You can pretty much make any recipe and just replace the sugar with splenda.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide. Now me personally LOL, I would take a little bite of my favourite

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

smiley_k
on 2/2/12 5:05 am
Hi Cathy,

Happy early birthday to you. Mine's coming up as well.

I have a couple of recipes for you. This site has a recipe for a white cake and a chocolate cake that when I made the chocolate cake with the SF buttercream icing, the stats were pretty good and had some protein too. I liked the taste personally but you do need to make them the day before and allow them to mellow in the refrigerator. I would give you the chocolate cake feeling...
http://www.healthyindulgences.net/search/label/buttercream%20frosting

I also posted a recipe for coffee cake to the Ontario Recipe Forum and that was delicious and freezes really well so you can save the leftovers.

Have you looked at Bariatric Foodie's site? I made her protein banana cream pie for Christmas and they were quite good. I made a large pie with an almond crust instead of ramicans and SF cookies but it was quite good. http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/07/pie-is-bananasb- n-n-s.html

Hope these help!
Katie  ♥     

Leanne1
on 2/2/12 5:21 am - Newmarket, Canada
The Atrium truck stop has excellent foods I have eaten there before

I would have A bite or maybe 2 but that's all.

Enjoy it! It's your birthday, but don't over indulge
irol770
on 2/2/12 5:34 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
I agree that if you are able to have a small bit and then stop, then it should be okay to have a small amount if the sugar doesn't bother you.

One of my favourite cakes is Angel Food, and I find that Angel Food cake with Cool Whip on it instead of icing is a lighter cake with fewer calories,  and the cool whip is better than high sugar icing.
Glitter Text Generator

AllaP
on 2/2/12 6:43 am - Vaughan, Canada
 Only you know if you can stop at 1-2 bites. I do not bring anything that I like to my house. I had 1-2 bites of cake at friend's house. 

Alla.

Most Active
Recent Topics