question....

Tristan Shular
on 1/28/12 1:19 am - Barrie, Canada
hi everybody
it has been a long time since i have posted on here (feels like it anyway). i should probably change my picture too because i look different!! im now 210lbs, started out at 272.5lbs. all since october 6th, when i started opti-fast. this journey has not been easy for me. i have gone to emerg countless times for dehydration, nausea, kidney stones.....and now im having issues with my period. i hope there are people out there who can give me any advice or share their story with me. i had my period on and off for weeks after surgery then it stopped and i got it yesterday. today i am in pain and so uncomfortable, i took 1 leftover percocet so far to help deal with pain. i have a splitting headache, cramps, bloating, bad back pain (usually not that bad), more blood then usual and my pelvis area almost feels like its throbbing and aching. i dont want to make another trip to emerg but my gut feeling is telling me too. can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? ive already cried this morning because of the pain and discomfort. i dont know what i should do...wait it out like its no big deal, visit a clinic, go to emerg, sleep it off? sorry to post on such a negative note. i tried to start it off positive! i hope everyone is doing well :)
Referral was sent in April of 2011 and my Surgery is scheduled for Oct 20 of 2011 :D

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/28/12 1:26 am - Windsor, Canada
I'd go to a clinic and get some alternative form of pain for yourself and then you could always call your family doctor and investigate this or get on a suitable form of birth control should you please.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Brenda T.
on 1/28/12 2:50 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
congratulations on your weight loss so far. I'm sorry you have been having such a bad time with it.
I'm also sorry for the pain you are having with your period... don't know why it would be more painful now than before.
Sorry I can't help you, hang in there and all the best.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Karen W.
on 1/28/12 5:21 am - Canada
How old are you, Tristan?  Your painful periods could have nothing to do with your surgery, and more to do with your age.  It is perfectly normal to have changes in your cycle any time after about age 35.  It can be a sign of peri-menopause, or just changes related to age.

I used to have reasonable cycles.  They started to change about 8 years ago (I'm 45).  My cycle used to be 28 days, but now it ranges from 21-30 days. I now have extremely heavy bleeding for the first two days, then spotting for another 3-4 days.  I have severe pain, to the point that I take tramacet for at least day one of my cycle and, occasionally, one or two on day 2.  I get severe headaches and back pain.  And, to top it all off, I get a really nasty flare-up of hip pain (I have fibromyalgia).

If you are over 35, you might be stuck with this.  See your family doc, get some proper pain meds, use a heating pad on your belly, take a long hot bath, and pray for menopause to hit soon!

RNY April 11, 2011       

PatXYZ
on 1/28/12 6:38 am
Hi Tristan,

Just wanted to double-check, did you have RNY? Just asking because if you've had VSG you can take NSAIDs. Assuming you had RNY, you can look for menstrual-specific formulations of tylenol to help. If you go to a pharmacy and explain to the pharmacist that you can't have NSAIDs, I'm sure they will help you find something. I doubt that a clinic or ER will give you any narcotic pain meds for your period. Heating pad, hot bath etc, is probably your best bet in the short term. In the long term, you may want to investigate a form of birth control like the Mirena IUD which is likely to make your period shorter, less severe, or even stop in many cases. Good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics