Dr. Reed Patients

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/12/11 4:11 am - Windsor, Canada
Hi there
I am looking to connect with a patient of Dr. Reed who won't mind answering a few questions from me. I have noticed that most of our Windsor friends have had the other doctorS In Guelph and so I have a few questions on my mind. If you don't mind answering some questions for me, please let me know and I'll PM you.

Thanks in advance,
Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Sharon S.
on 11/12/11 6:17 am - Burford, Canada
Hi Dawn, I had Dr. Reed and would be happy to answer your questions.
HW 368    PRE-OP 328    CW 185
My angels are Jennifer C. and JustJenn

Sharon 

onehotmom
on 11/12/11 7:02 am
HI Dawn,
I had my surgery July 7th , 2011 with Dr.Reed I will answer any questions you have as well.

A.    
lovin_life
on 11/12/11 7:22 am - Canada
Hello! I had my surgery with Dr.Reed on August 18th, 2011.. Feel free to ask me anything..

Referral sent to Guelph: April 2010        Second app (Nut/ Nurse): Jan. 31st/ 11
Orientation: September 16th, 2010        Surgery information class: May 10th/ 11          
Sleep Study: No sleep apnea                 Surgeon (Dr.Reed): July 19th/ 11     
H-pylori: Negative                                   PATTS: August 12th/ 11
(Nut/SW/Nurse): Dec.9th/10                     Surgery: August 18th/ 11                 
Diminishing Dawn
on 11/12/11 7:30 am - Windsor, Canada
Hi there :) 

It's funny as I think none of my Windsor support group friends had Dr. Reed.   we have literally hundreds of members in our group and I cannot think of one who got Dr. Reed! Now my hubby is going to have surgery with him next month. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Did you have a high number of comorbidities?   

How was Dr. Reed the day of surgery? Did you get to talk to him?

Did you see him at all after surgery or were you completely handed over the internist? What internist did you have and how was s/he?  When you were in the hospital, did they require you to walk? Do breathing exercises?  Were you given anything to eat/drink after - like jello or anything?

What pain meds were you given for the release?

Thanks so much!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

charm64
on 11/12/11 9:34 am - Cambridge, Canada
Hey Dawn,

I had Dr. Reed and had my surgery on May 24th/2011. 
I had Sleep Apnea, high blood pressure. other than that I was in good health.
I seen Dr. Reed before and he wanted me to have a scope because of my Dad and all his sister's having stomach cancer and he did the scope himself at Guelph hospital.  I seen him again for the results and got my date.

I seen him just before the surgery in the hall. 
I was required to walk and I was asked to do deep breathing. 
I was required to drink little sips of water after.  Then jello and clear broth.  I think that was it.
I really didn't eat any of it.  I was very nauseous.  It turned out to be the morphine, so I stopped the pain meds and felt better.
Dr. Reed came to see me twice.  He is a great surgeon and all the nurses said he is the best and if they were getting something done they would want him.
He is not all warm and fuzzy but very nice and a very good surgeon. 
I was given no pain meds on release.
I hope that helps a little.

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

ibed
on 11/12/11 9:42 am
i had dr reed, saw him just before surgery - he made me feel a little less nervous.  he came by every day i was in the hospital (including the internist dr agrawl - or something like that.)  as for pain meds, left with nothing - besides the morphine pump only had Tylenol in hospital, picked some up on my way home but didn't use many.  he kind of has a dry personality but he's a great surgeon and i have no complaints.  he uses staples not strips to close you up - didn't know that till after surgery.  they expect you to be up and walking pretty quick, obviously no marathons.  they get you to do a lot of deep breathing and coughing to clear up your lungs.  he also advised me not to take any vitamins till after i saw him for follow up apts - i know a lot of other center's expect you to start vitamins right away.  as for food in the hospital, nothing the day of surgery but the next day they start you on the clear fluids diet (jello, decaf, juice, etc...)
best of luck to your hubby, he'll be in good hands.

debi,.
Diminishing Dawn
on 11/12/11 10:05 am - Windsor, Canada
Staples? Were you open or lap?6

charm64
on 11/12/11 10:07 am - Cambridge, Canada
Dr. Reed always uses staples.  I was lap and had staples.  The other two surgeons don't use staples. 

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

RubyTues
on 11/12/11 9:44 am - Canada
I kind of chuckled when I read the part about him not being all warm and fuzzy.. I found him a very serious man, with little expression, but with that said he is one of the top in his field.
He actually trained under the the very first surgeon to do the WLS via lap, Dr. Cristou. Who's been doing these surgeries for a very long time.
He's head of surgery and his specialty is the higher risk WLS patients, those with BMI's over a certain number, I requested him as I had researched each doc at the clinic and learned he was the cream of the crop LOL
My family doc confirmed my decision for me when she mentioned she went to school with him and he was one of the best out there.
As for all the post op questions, well I can't help you there yet. But tell your hubby he'll be in good hands.. literally.

Most Active
Recent Topics