pured food

Wendy E.
on 5/13/11 12:16 am - Gananoque, Canada
Hi all I will be startiing the pured stage soon and I am looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Wendy E
Monica M.
on 5/13/11 12:28 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i liked chicken, which i cooked in the slow cooker, and then i pureed it with the liquid i cooked it in. Also mashed potatoes, which i mixed with cream cheese or ricotta cheese. I was actually a pretty boring eater, i was so afraid of dumping on anything new.

Joyce J.
on 5/13/11 12:59 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Wendy

I found that the worst stage LOL. I didn't like it at all. I found I ate mostly puddings and yogurt and just waited for the next stage
Good luck, I hope you get some yummy ideas

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Gabygee
on 5/13/11 1:13 am - Canada
I did a few things which worked for me:

1) I baked a small squash, "squashed" it with a bit of no-fat margarine and some spices, and froze it in an ice-cube tray. The resulting cubes are in a plastic bag in the freezer now, and I use one as needed with my
2) Turkey and quinoa meatloaf. This is for later when you graduate to soft solids, and you need to keep it as moist as possible. There's a good recipe at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Turkey-and-Quinoa-Meatloaf/Deta il.aspx
3) When I was in a rush, I purchased a couple of cans of the ready-to-eat soups from Campbell's. In particular the vegetable beef works well when you check the fat and carbohydrate contents (0.5 g fat and 3 g sugar - 7g protein). I boat-motored that (you know, the masher-upper wand thing) and had a small amount.
4) I cooked up oat bran cereal in the mornings (very small amount) or quinoa - made them both with 1% milk instead of water) added some cinnamon, and then a little unsweetened applesauce - that gave me fibre as well as protein.
The quinoa in particular has been a godsend, with its protein built-in.

The Ontario Forum has a recipes blog - search OH for it.

I am just transitioning from purees to soft solids, and it's a little complicated. Some things work one day, and don't work the next. There's a fair bit of experimentation involved, particularly with speed of ingestion and the amounts your pouch can take. This is a wee bit trying.

suzyq0052
on 5/13/11 1:35 am
I liked to oven roast my favorite veggies.. cut in small chunks of even proportions.. sweet potato, carrot, red peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini... tossed them in a ziploc bag with a bit of kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper and olive oil(about 2 tbsp of oil).. then once they were well coated.. I spread them in a foil lined baking pan in a single layer.. baked them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25-30 MIN for soft texture needed for pureed stage.. then once cooled.. mushed them with a fork and spread this delectable mixture on saltine crackers.. yummmo!!

also...
I ate canned chicken breast meat.. mushed it with a fork.. added onion powder, black pepper, and a small amt olive oil mayonnaise and had chicken salad that was mushy enough to qualify
for pureed stage.. again.. great with saltine crackers.. or just plain.. with the mushed oven roasted veggies as a side dish..

Blue Menu brand soup by President's Choice.. spicy black bean.. drain off the broth (save it for flavoring in future cooking.. freeze the broth) now.. the bean and tomato and peppers and onion mixture that is left in the can.. mu**** with a potato masher til mushy, add a bit of texmex or cajun spice to give it a bit more zip as its not that spicy..and then heat up a serving (about 1/3 cup) in microwave with a tablespoon of shredded texmex or cheddar cheese on top.. then, once its heated.. add a dollop of plain greek yogurt.. or sour cream on top of the melted
cheese/spicy black bean mixture.. yummmm

thats what I did and before long that pureed stage was over and on to better things LOL

Karlalala
on 5/13/11 4:33 am - London, Canada
Three basic meals got me through my pureed stage....

1) Any canned fish (usually tuna) pureed up with some Fat Free mayo and then I would add anthing else to get a little flavour.  Some hot sauce, mustard, pickle juice, chili powder, cayenne powder...anything to up the flavor!

2) Take 1/4 cup refried beans and mix in 2 tbsp of Salsa con queso (the cheese in the jar sold with the mexican stuff) and heat it up in the microwave.  Top with either some shredded cheese, or salsa, or Fat free sour cream.  I loved this!

3) Lasagna Soup - not really a soup but you basially take 1/4 cup of low sugar spaghetti sauce, and mix in some fat free cottage cheese (or ricotta) and I would add Italian seasonings or spices and some parmesean sprinkled on.  Tastes just like lasagna without the pasta!

Good luck to you!

Karla  - Stayin positive and moving forward!!!

Marny B.
on 5/13/11 9:02 am - Canada
I liked pureed sweet potato.  I would add a tbsp or 2 of parmesan to it for extra protein.

I also ate "Noodlesless Lasagna" (probably found in the link Karen already sent you)

Lots of homemade soups- good for the family dinner and super easy to stick in the blender for you.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/11 9:12 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Cream of wheat with apple sauce for breakfast, homemade soups that I pureed before eating and pot roast with some veggies and threw it all in the puree it with the juice in the slow cooker.  A small roast will last you a ton of meals.
Mary A.
on 5/16/11 1:41 am
chick peas(hummus) and carrots and squash & sweet potatoes and other vegetables

...steer clear of potatoes for awhile as they are really heavy....

I know some people have eaten strained baby food...but I never ventured to thsoe types of things

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics