Baby Items

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 2:01 am, edited 4/20/14 5:07 pm

With new grandkids on the way I've been looking at the newest baby equipment.

Susan M.
on 4/15/14 2:50 am, edited 4/15/14 3:03 am

I have a 5 year old and two 2 year olds.  With my first I did not buy into lots of gadgets and such, I went very old school.  However, for my twins I decided to buy into a lot more, and it did make my life much easier (I was breastfeeding all three so I had limited hand free time).

I would say the best real 'toy' by far was this ball.  They loved this ball and could grasp it very early on.  I advise this as any babies first toy now.

This Jumperoo was a godsend (we started using it at about 4 months (with stabilizers underneath for their feet to touch, yes they had head control.)) We made sure mot to leave them unsupervised or in for longer than 10-15 minutes.

Bouncer  - They loved the music and vibration, and at a couple months were able to pull on the handle in the middle.  It was a lifesaver.

Swing - Also a lifesaver, but I would not get both the swing and bouncer if I had only one baby, unless you get it second hand ;) 

I will say also that I can't say enough for rechargeable batteries;

Good AA rechargeable.

These convert AA batteries into D batteries! (by putting the AA's into the 'D' case.)

An exercise in hyperlinks ;)

PS,

I didn't buy into the swaddlers (just used receiving blankets), in fact my husband was the master swaddler.  I preferred sleep sacks.

And obviously these Rings  are always awesome...

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 3:03 am

I loved that ball.. put it in my shopping cart and bookmarked all other suggestions.   I recently sent the car seat mom-to-be picked out and the ridiculous bracket it required to fit onto the jogging stroller (neither jog I don't get spending 350 on a stroller).  Mom wants a crib, but they are looking at a transfer and no room in the current place.. I suggested a pack and play that they could keep right next to their bed for a while.  Pack and plays were not in existence when I had my first and I'm assuming that they would be safe for a newborn to sleep in.. correct me if I'm wrong. 

Susan M.
on 4/15/14 3:15 am, edited 4/15/14 3:28 am

When I had my daughter we were living in a tiny studio!  We did have a crib but I ended up keeping her often in the stroller's bassinet next to my best for frequent feedings.

My sister got a pack and play for hey 'crib' but never used it (it also had one of those 'bassinet'/changing pad features).  Baby ended up in bed with her.

Do you know if they plan to breastfeed or not?

I did not co-sleep with my boys until they were about 4-5 months, when I just laid on my back on a carpet on the floor and they each hung off a boob...  It was the only time I ever got a nap.

I really loved the idea of one of these bedside cribs (co-sleepers) which I felt was much safer for parents that rolled or someone unwilling to get rid of their blankets for a baby.

I was a little to... Frugal, to buy any of these.  We got a crib from ikea that turned into a toddler bed, We kept the height at the crib level but did not insert the (removable) 4th wall, and zip tied it to our bed so it couldn't be moved.  I sewed an attachment to both our mattresses so there was no gap to get stuck in or hurt.  

Editing to answer the question of safety;  Yes I think they are considered very safe but are not meant for 'long term' sleeping.  I think if you throw in a firm mattress it changes things.

Many many people have been using pack and plays as permanent beds these days.

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 4:04 am
Susan M.
on 4/15/14 6:31 am, edited 4/15/14 6:32 am

I guess it really just comes down to what sorts of things they want to do.  I wonder a lot about how well I will handle being a grandparent, if I'll be able to hold my tongue and let my children learn for themselves and just be there when they need me or if I'll be a push in that can't stand how anything is done.  I'm pretty certain the later would be a very easy role to fall into.

For our first I wanted everything new, I wanted the best stroller, crib, clothes, toys etc.

For the boys... Lets just say they often wear their big sisters sparkly pink hand me downs (which they love)...

We had a Valco Tri mode ex (all in black) with the third seat for our daughter.  We went everywhere on foot, by bus, or by bike so investing in a really good stroller was important.

I will say that the Valco brand is *really* amazing, I would go for anything made by them before the major (and popular) US brands.  The Aussies know what they're doing for 'all terrain' strollers.  I was able to get the weight of all 3 plus baby 'stuff' easily through wet/dry sand, over rocks, any city terrain, ice, snow.  Very few strollers can boast that ability so if you're looking for a family 'hand me down' they are a good investment.

Honestly, if we had just had a second child and not a second and third at once, I likely would have gone for one of those super cheapy full fold down models with a newborn insert.  But I don't think too many new moms 'know' exactly what they want until they learn better ;)

Sorry for all the posts!  I know I'm not the only one around here with a bunch of little kids.

Cunning_Pam
on 4/15/14 8:06 am
RNY on 12/18/13

One thing I always get new moms in addition to whatever toy or equipment may seem handy is a stack of receiving blankets. Like, two dozen. They're inexpensive, and I remember that I used them for EVERYTHING! Wrapping/covering baby, drying off after baths, wet clean up, changing pad in public places, nursing cover-up, you name it. They're all purpose, and never go out of style. 

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

csbsteph
on 4/15/14 10:12 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

I COULD NOT HAVE SURVIVED without a bouncy seat or a swing, these are especially helpful on the sleepless gassy nights; those two items were the most used things I had when my daughter was a baby.  She also had a bear that lit up & played classical music that she loved, I haven't seen them anymore I bought hers at K-mart when she was little. 

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Susan M.
on 4/15/14 10:42 am

I'm sorry,

The "I COULD NOT HAVE SURVIVED" reminded me of the one non-purchased item I could not have survived without this song.

Warning; not all people will be amused by this song as it's got some rather morbid humour.

I remember one rather sleepless (night+) morning and then the 5 month old's not wanting their morning nap, the 3 year old being sick, and all the bouncer/swing batteries being dead.

I was rocking 2 screeching children with my feet (for over an hour) and breastfeeding another while trying not to cry and this song reminded me it wasn't all as bad as it seemed in the moment.

LosingSarah
on 4/15/14 10:54 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I personally didn't use the swing I got. My daughter did not like it. She did like her bouncy seat, though, during the first 5-6 months or so. I breast fed for the first 8 months and I also had the bedside sleeper. I only used it the first 3-4 months, though. After this point she wasn't waking to be fed as often, so I moved her to her room & crib at this point, but it was awesome. Level with the bed and made it super easy to grab her and latch her on while staying half asleep.

Once she was starting food I loved my Magic Bullet. I used it to puree my fruits & veggies. Saved so much money doing this.

Those Halo blankets are nice, but only worth it if they are going to be late fall or winter babies. Mine was (born in November) but, I personally was an expert a swaddling with plain old receiving blankets. Cheaper. Like a PP said having like a bunch is helpful. I started out with like 6 and ended up buying a few more during those first few months. I could wrap her up like a burrito and it stayed nice & snug until I'd unwrap her.  

A sleeveless sleep sack! Once she was moving too much to be swaddled I used this thing every night. It was so nice to be able to put her in a sleeper or onsie, then just put this over her at night to stay warm. I had a fleece one & a thick jersey one for the different seasons.

Other gadgets & stuff. I guess the only other thing I really liked was her Bumbo seat. I didn't have much else for the fancy things they have these days. 

My daughter is going to be starting Kindergarten this fall. I am freaking out a bit. I can't believe this is happening already. i swear she was just born.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sad news but it's for the best
TattooMom · 3 replies · 1074 views
Does Salt Matter?
alfred098 · 5 replies · 1140 views
Wedding preps!!!!
emilinjohn11 · 1 replies · 918 views
Best Running Idea's Outfit
emmajames · 0 replies · 785 views