Portions an Serving sizes!

MTS31801
on 10/25/16 10:57 am

I had my nutrition class today! I have lost 2 lbs. I five days! Woo hoo! My insurance is requiring a 5% weight loss before I can have surgery. I started out at 388and I am now 372! Yea!

Our class today was on portion and serving sizes.  She used cereal as an example. She gave me a snack pack box of cereal and compared it to one of the store bought serving bowls of the same cereal.  The amount were significantly different. Both containers said one serving size and the calorie and oz. size were different. This was a big surprise to me. I will be reading all my labels from now on!

MarieCeeJay
on 10/28/16 2:17 pm

First off, congrats on the weight loss!! and for getting that much closer to surgery.

I can relate to the surprise about servings. When I gauge with my eye, it's never as small as when I measure with the scale.

I've decided to take my measuring cup with me to an upcoming dinner with a friend. I've been weighing and measuring each thing that goes into my body & even at a restaurant I want to keep with it.

Fortunately my friend is very health conscious, so I doubt that she'll give any strange stares; more just encouraging looks.

I figure I'll keep it in my purse, select the kiddie size meal of chicken with salad and then measure as soon as the waiter serves us, asking them to take the rest away to a 'to go' container (this will go to the hubby when I get home). Meanwhile I won't be tempted to over eat, I won't have to guess or gauge how much I've eaten and I can have an enjoyable time catching up with my friend instead of stressing over my food.

What type of plans/thoughts do you have for getting together with family, friends, potlucks for after surgery??

Marie.

MTS31801
on 10/28/16 3:41 pm

Your idea of taking a measuring cup with you is really a great idea! Unfortunately I am the last of the Mohicans. All my family has passed away so I really don't have to worry much about family get togethers. I don't go to many restaurants, and when I do go with a friend they are also health conscience too. My one friend is diabetic so healthy choices are always on her mind. This makes it easy for me when I go out with her.

I just bought a blender and a food scale and a measuring ounce glass. I am starting to measure my food. I am not a breakfast person so my Nut. suggested that I have a protein drink when I first get up. So I have been doing that for the last several mornings. I am using a protein powder with unsweetened almond milk. It's not bad, I actually like it. I have been trying to eat more salads and grains (oat bran) and only having a meat product once a day. I do concentrate on getting my water requirement in. Altho I did miss lunch today so I am on the hungry side. I will continue to work at losing this weight. I am determined. I have to change!

MarieCeeJay
on 11/5/16 2:23 pm

How are things??? Are you staying the course?

Just thinking of you and hoping that you're staying encouraged as you work towards your surgery date and the rest of your WLS journey.

Warm wishes,

Marie.

MTS31801
on 11/5/16 2:33 pm

I'm doing good I have a nutrition class on Tuesday so I will get weighted and see how many lbs. I've lost. I'm trying to snack on apples and salad. I made a pot of lentils yesterday cooked in low sodium chicken broth and added frozen mixed veggies to it. It was a very filling dish for dinner.

How are you doing? Are you concerned about the up coming holidays? I have no family so the holidays don't present a problem to me. I look at them like just another day.

Thanks for asking about me. I need to keep my endurance up and stay motivated. Going to call the Weight Loss Centers gym on Monday and make a few appointment for some exercise classes.

I hope you have a nice weekend!

MarieCeeJay
on 11/6/16 5:16 am

Hi there again.

I'm glad that you have the supportive nutrition classes. It sounds like you're really getting into healthy foods. It'll be so worth it after you have your WLS and you've already conquered the 'what's healthy to ea't' concerns.

Have you read much about post-op eating in order to start trying out some you might enjoy? Maybe you could spend time putting together a self-made recipe book of all your favorites.

As for me, yes I am dreading the upcoming holiday season. I've been reading blogs and articles about overcoming the holiday eating, but for me it's not office parties and extended family. For me it is my children & spouse. My children are generally healthy eaters, considering I do the shopping and thus I just do not purchases much processed junk foods. BUT... my husband is a junkie; a very skinny junk food eater! He goes through binge cycles of healthy smoothies and salads and whatnot to junk every day. It's his food 'stuff' and so I try to encourage him. But in the times when he's on his unhealthy eating kick, the kids are too. Those are the times I find it hardest because it is the house and I am tempted. I try to stay away from them when they're eating but that's really emotionally challenging to not to feel lost when you're family is indulging and spending time at the "throne" of food.

Anyhow, I'm glad you asked the question because it just reminds me that I've really got to continue to work on my mind & heart instead of focusing solely on my food.

Be encouraged on your journey. I look forward to hear about your nutrition class successes next week.

Marie.

Most Active