Looking for suggestions.

Jenn77p
on 10/4/15 5:41 pm
RNY on 08/07/15

I'm looking for healthy suggestions for on the go breakfast and lunch. I am a visiting nurse so unfortunately I eat on the run. Mostly in my car during the drive to my next patient. I have a nice cooler but I don't have access to microwave. I have to admit I have never ate healthy. My go to used to be McDonald's and pizza. I have tried having eggs before leaving home but they tend to sit in the back of my throat. At least it seams that way. Any suggestions of protein forward foods to go?

Jenn 77 p

Cathy W.
on 10/5/15 12:49 pm

I have some healthy go-to's that I've relied on to help me when I'm on the go. For me, if I am prepared, I am much more apt to stay on track than follow the drive-thru track to a fast food place.

Since you have a nice cooler, that will be your friend because you can plan what you're going to eat during the day while you're on the go.

For breakfast or lunch:

Take a protein shake that you've made at home and put in a thermos or other container to keep it cold. You can drink that for a breakfast choice.

Bring some Greek yogurt with a little bit of fruit, or chop up nuts at home to give the yogurt a little crunch.

You could get some thin wraps and put in scrambled eggs, a protein and veggies. Put it in a container that allows it to stay warm.

I'll warm up some of the Morningstar link sausages (or veggie patty, black bean burger) and cut them up. I'll munch on those because they are good hot, warm or even cold.

For breakfast or lunch, take some thinly sliced turkey, ham, protein of your choice and a thinly sliced piece(s) of cheese, and a few crackers or veggie strips. Make pinwheel roll-ups with each of those ingredients. Mix and match for your favorite combos.

I've also made mini omelettes in a muffin tin. Put in some veggies, crumbled up protein and pour mixed up egg (or egg substitute), bake in the oven and take some of those. Again, use the heat container that will hold in the heat and put those in there. YUM.

You can always pack a protein bar, low-carb and low-sugar. I always have a protein bar and a small bag of beef jerky in my purse so I'm never stuck for something healthy to eat.

Speaking of beef jerky, I have a couple of brands that are always pretty moist and easy to eat. If I have a busy morning, I'll eat beef (pork, chicken) jerky.

I'll make extra protein the night before so I have left overs. I'll take a piece of chicken or whatever protein I have, bring some veggies for a nice salad. I buy salad dressing in the small packets or I'll pour some in a small container to use.

Using the left over protein, I'll chop it up, add a few raisins, sliced grapes, a few slivered almonds (or nuts) for a chicken salad sandwich or chicken salad to just eat.

If you want to mix it up sometimes, find a diner or a small restaurant that will prepare something specifically to order for you. If you have 4-5 go-to items from a restaurant, you minimize going off track. You can call ahead to have it ready for you.

In addition to your nice cooler, you might put your food for the day in a Bento Box. I have four and I use them frequently. I have four so each member of my family has one. We put in our food choices in our Bento Boxes and we're set! You can check them out on Amazon by searching Bento Boxes.

I hope this list helps. Try to have 10 or so different things you can prepare ahead and pack for the day.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Chel1222
on 10/6/15 4:52 am

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

SilverGirl2015
on 10/19/15 11:23 am, edited 10/19/15 4:25 am

Great suggestions! Very helpful!

docbad32
on 10/6/15 2:08 pm, edited 10/6/15 7:08 am

Mine are pretty boring, but I drink a premier protein every morning. About 3 oz. goes into my cup of coffee, then the rest after coffee or a little bit later as a snack. As for lunch, it's almost exclusively leftovers. I also like to have a quest bar handy to keep the fast convenient food mosnter at bay.

VSG:  3/12/15

Eggface
on 10/10/15 1:19 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

CSN101
on 10/18/15 12:04 pm

I have 26 nurses that had the same dilema. Find the right meal replacement bars that are low glycemic and undenatured .

If you have anymore questions feel free to message me.

M_reeds
on 10/23/15 7:06 am

I usually have my on the go breakfast prepared at night like a matcha green tea powder smoothies with bananas blended with oats / cereal. I prefer flavored Matcha from Red Leaf Tea. (http://www.redleaftea.com/) to avoid the grassy taste.

Most Active