Need some help,,cant tolerate any meats..10 years out...

Musicmama88
on 6/30/15 10:50 am - Danville, IN

Im ten years out from RNY,,lost 140 pounds,,regained 60 due to the fact that I cannot tolerate most proteins, Every time I eat red meat, chicken, or some cuts of pork, they all come right back up. I immediately start the "foamies" and have to go get rid of it. I can eat fish, shellfish, cheese, but I find Im averaging about 40 grams of protein or less per day. I can however tolerate almost any carbs,,and that is the reason for my weight gain. Also, I got back into the habit of drinking when I eat. I am currently working on that. My Vitamin D, B12, and Magnesium and Iron are all low so I am on a regimen of supplements for that, but what can I do to help this protein problem?  I would appreciate any ideas. Im serious about getting back on track and have been eating salads and tuna, and an occasional protein shake. What is the best protein on the market, should I include shakes everyday? My surgeon has retired, so am looking for help wherever. This site helped me immensely when I had my surgery and for a couple years after. Thanks for any help and input.

Betsy

"For I know the plans I have for you ," declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/30/15 3:39 pm

When I can't eat meat - I eat eggs, make protein shakes, make protein pancakes, protein waffles, etc. 

check eggface profile for great recipes, 

she even has protein ice cream...

as what protein shakes are the best - is very individual. I like whey isolate - but a couple of years ago I developed allergies to dairy proteins so I needed to switch to vegan proteins.  You  need to find some that you like and can tolerate.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/15 12:24 am - Pompano Beach, FL

To increase your protein intake you can always try other vegetarian sources like for instance beans and peas
Yogurt and other milk products might also help

Dulcilady
on 7/23/15 1:55 pm - Howell, MI

Hi Betsy,  I am 16 years out.  With meat it is important to chew really well.  Count 30 (I KNOW) times before swallowing.  If this doesn't work, you could puree your meat if you really want it.  The taste is still there and that is what most of us had to do during the pureed phase at the beginning of our eating after surgery.  You can get protein by shakes, endemame's and soy nuts,  I like the roasted ones and they are crunchy like nuts.  The protein powder that I use is called Pure Protein and I buy it at Walmarts.  They have it in chocolate and vanilla.  It is really good tasting and inexpensive compared to a lot of protein powders.  It is 19.00 for a jug of the powder and there are 19 servings per container.  I add 2 cups of ice water in my blender, put in a scoop of this whey protein.  Add a few frozen strawberries, some crystal light...I like the peach ice tea or orange strawberry banana flavors.  Add a few ice cubes and blend.  It is delicious and has 25 gms of protein in the blender full.  Makes a lot.  You can adjust the flavor with the crystal light or more fruit.  Carbs are not your friend if you are gaining.  I gained 30 lbs after caring for my Mama with alzheimers.  I ate my stress.  The middle of April I went on a very low carb (less than 25 a day) and have lost 28 lbs as of this morning.  It is the best I have felt in a long time.  On this, I am not experiencing any hunger, absolutely NO cravings.  I have lots of energy.  I have found that now I cannot eat as much as I did before April, so I know my stomach size has decreased again.  The tool is still working for me.  Check out everything you can regarding Low Carb eating and see what you think.  I was never interested in that kind of eating plan before, but I am sold on it now.  Also, I find that this is very close to how I ate the first couple of years after surgery but didn't even realize how it was low carb then.  Lean protein is really important.  Do you have a Bariatric Center close to you?  You may need to make an appointment with a new Bariatric Dr or a Bariatric Nutritionist.  I have an appointment set up for August 3 with the surgeon who did my RnY on that very date 16 years ago.  It is my way to be accountable and to see how my stats currently are.  I hope everything good for you!  Don't give up....you are worth it!!!!  Sharna

MaronitaMay
on 7/28/15 1:07 am

No matter how long ago you, Sharna, you had surgery they say one should see the surgeon at least once every year!

Dulcilady
on 7/28/15 6:09 am - Howell, MI

Yes, I agree with you.  My family Dr has been monitoring my health.  I have been taking care of my Mom for the last 10 years in our home suffering with severe Alzheimer's so it is not always possible to do what is needed.  My bloodwork came back great!  Thank you for your reply.  S

Most Active