Best Protein shake to kick start weight loss

tracemb14
on 9/26/13 9:20 am - Katy, TX
I have hit a wall..stopped losing and actually started gaining...because I eat crap in front of the tv at night. Grrrr. I want to kick start my weight loss again with a liquid diet for a couple of days...high protein. SlimFast has way too much sugar. Muscle Milk? What has worked for you all?
Thanks...Tracy in Texas

Keith L.
on 9/27/13 6:04 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Any Whey Protein Isolate will do, its a fast digesting protein, so good first thing in the morning. At night about an hour before bed, consider drinking Casein protein as it is a slow digesting protein that feeds your muscles while you sleep.

If you are looking for specific brands, my favorites are:

Optimum Nutrition (chocolate or vanilla)

Dymatize Iso-1000 (gourmet chocolate - my current favorite)

AST VP2 is pretty good too

If you are looking for inexpensive protein, Walmart carries two brands that are good bangs for the buck.

I always mix my protein shakes with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, makes it nice and thin and keeps the calories low.

Get rid of the crap, if you don't have it, you can't eat it!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Rhondaroo78
on 10/6/13 12:48 pm

Keith I was reading some different posts tonight and was looking for those in particular about protein shakes, and came across a repsonse you made .. I am 10 yrs out and I still use Nectar shakes once in awhile .. Was going to start using them a bit more frequently to get myself back on track and then ease back into "regular foods" .. My question to you though is when you would drink protein shakes did they fill you up?  Did you add anything into your's to help make you feel fuller?  My mornings have never changed for the last 10 years and that is I use the SF CIB with Hood Calorie Countdown milk (70 calories) as I have a hard time with milk sometimes and I can tolerate it plus it fills me up for quite awhile but don't think doing that for a few days to jump start would be good.   And I was unfamiliar with the Casein protein you mentioned in your reply and so I looked into it and I think I'm going to get some for the evening before sleeping, so thank you for your post mentioning that .. But if you have any suggestions on what to add to protein shakes to help make ya feel fuller or give ya that satiety feeling, I would appreciate it.   Or if anyone else wants to respond that would be great too!   Thanks much!  Rhonda

Keith L.
on 10/6/13 11:40 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am not typically very hungry in the morning so feeling fuller never really is one of my objectives. On the rare occassion I am hungry I may eat something with my protein shake, a piece of ham or some cheese. I typically make my shakes with Almond milk (30 calories for 1 cup) and I think it goes very well with chocolate.

The casein will definitely make you feel food as because it is a slow digesting protein, it hangs around a little longer. Be careful the first couple of times you drink it, it can be hard on your stomach so I wouldn't start out by gunning down 8 to 12 ounces. Sip through your first couple of times until you know for sure you can tolerate it. Also if you find the casein makes you feel fuller, there is nothing wrong with drinking it for your morning shake, it will distribute protein for the next 8 hours.

I wouldn't necessarily use protein shakes as a jump start, I would find a way to incorporate them into my regular routine. They are a good way to get a lower calorie helping of protein.

Rhondaroo78
on 10/7/13 8:36 am

Hi Keith,

Just wanted to say thank you for your response .. I will definitely look into the Almond milk as well as I'm going to look for the Casein Protein .. I'm usually full in the morning with my SF CIB shake but wanted something during the day that could help with the full feeling .. But do understand the need to get my protein and such from foods rather than shakes .. smile .. But again thanks much for your replies as for me they are helpful!

Thanks,

Rhonda

Keith L.
on 10/7/13 8:53 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You may also want to consider a blend, something that is both whey and casein or milk proteins, they seem to be a bit slower digesting. Casein can be hard on your stomach so you want to keep that to a couple times a week and mostly at night.

Rhondaroo78
on 10/7/13 9:15 am

I guess I hadn't thought about mixing or blending one or some with another .. Never crossed my mind .. smile .. but I think I'll experiment some (get out of the box) and see what I come up with that is suitable to my stomach and tastes .. as well as try them at different times .. I'm tend to see "black or white" with no grays in that I don't always tend to think I could or should try different things or think outside the box .. ha ha .. So that's what I was hoping for so I appreciate your help and responses to help me with that .. Rhonda 

rjltaylor
on 9/28/13 7:07 am - Las Vegas, NV
VSG on 09/03/13
So far, I have found the best tasting shakes to be the Premier Protein ready-made shakes, which can be purchased at Costco. Also, a great alternative to the "sweet" shakes is the chicken soup protein shake (sooooo full of flavor and delicious) and can be purchased online at www.unjury.com.

Hope this helps!

Ronda

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/13 3:27 am

I am doing the Zeal protein drink & also the wellness drink.  It gets all of my vitamins/minerals/protein & antioxidants that I need.  Very tasty.  It was formulated by Blue Bell & is all natural.  You can either mix it with water or milk.  I actually do not tolerate milk well since my surgery but I do fine with the 30 calorie almond milk.  It has no sugar.  You can order it online at www.rexcates.zealforlife.com.  Where in Texas are you?  I am in Tyler. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/13 3:28 am

Just noticed that you are in Katy, Tx,  If you would like to try it, I'd be happy to mail you a few free samples that I have.  Just let me know

Most Active