Problems with follow up care?

LeAnn B.
on 6/4/15 4:06 pm - OH

Hello all, my surgery is scheduled next Tuesday with Dr Fernando Garcia at Tijuana Bariatrics. I was just wondering if any of you have had issues with your PCP not wanting to see you due to going out of state for the surgery? OR if you've had complications and have been refused treatment due to having the surgery out of the state's? One of my cousins who is a Dr in Florida said she had a patient who was refused by almost every Bariatric Dr she sought out when she experienced complications. Have you guys experienced this? Now I'm worried. 

Chrissy Gallegos
on 6/5/15 12:18 am
VSG on 03/18/15

I have not had an issue with followup care.  My surgeon, Dr. Jorge Maytorena, with LongTerm VSG provided me a dvd of my surgery.  I let my primary care doc see it and all things are good.

llLou
on 6/5/15 5:04 pm - Halifax NS, Canada

It's a good idea to get your OR report also. It's so much better than our DVD's. Good Luck!  Linda

GIJane
on 6/7/15 12:38 pm - San Francisco, CA

LeAnn, I had my DS done in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico by Dr Casteneda at the end of January this year.  I live in Arizona.  I called the local Bariatric surgeon 's office and spoke with their Nurse practitioner.  She directed me to a doctor in Flagstaff without any qualms and treated me with a great deal of respect.  I went to that doctor who explained that she did not do the DS, but referred me to a Dr. in Scotsdale who is the only one in Arizona who does do the DS.  I got right in with no problem.  All have treated me with a great deal of courtesy and respect.  The only problem I had was finding someone to remove my stitches.  The bariatric surgeons did not have suture removal kits in their offices since they do this at the hospital.  I ended up going to an urgent care whose physician removed my stitches.  All were interested in my journey and none were judgmental.  If you meet a physician who is judgmental, you do not belong with that physician.  

LeAnn B.
on 6/8/15 7:14 am - OH

My primary care Dr so lovingly informed me that it was not his responsibility to care for me after surgery. So he let me go as a patient. I was devastated. But you're right, with that attitude I don't need him being my primary care doctor! 

newslim2015
on 6/9/15 1:54 pm

My primary doctor was really supportive, he gave all my medical history, which I share with the internal med that treated me back in tijuana, I Skype with him, with my surgeon and the nutritionist prior my surgery date and I still have follow up consultations and they answer all my questions whenever I have them, I never had any complications whatsoever!!! good luck !!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 308 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 493 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1090 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1662 views