Just sayin Hi

todpod
on 6/5/11 9:04 am - PA
I have been reading and lurking for a while.  I had surgery on the 1st of June, started at 373 in December and weighed in at 307 on the morning of surgery.  My goal is 200lbs ish but thats not really set in stone, I will see what its like when i get there.  You guys have been a great support by just reading what you have went through and hopefully this site will help me stay on track and continue to do well.    Todd 

kenhud1
on 6/5/11 10:25 am - Houston, TX
Todd,

Welcome out of the shadows and to the land of the active posters. Sounds like you've had a great start. As things progress, be sure to ask some questions. The guys on the board do a good job of giving honest, no bull**** answers.

We look forward to hearing about your progress.

Ken
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Don 1962
on 6/5/11 12:18 pm
Howdy Todd!

Dittos to what my fellow Texan (Ken) said.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Michael P.
on 6/6/11 2:44 am
I third that.  Great start and best of luck on your continued success!!  Look forward to seeing more of your posts and don't forget to join our Sunday Weigh In!! 

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
todpod
on 6/6/11 6:25 am - PA
 The sunday weigh in could be an issue but not a bad idea.  Currently i don't own a scales and was debating whether I really wanted one.  I don't want to get to caught up on the numbers, but it would be nice to actually see the progress.  During my 6 month preop diet the only time I got weighed was when I went to see the Dr, that was a little nerve racking.  

Thanks for the support Todd
ShrinkingJoe
on 6/7/11 11:43 pm, edited 6/7/11 11:44 pm
Todd - welcome aboard!

If you are at all like me, you will get to 200 lbs.  I started at 404 and now am down to 225 in 7 months.  I didn't have any pre-op weight loss -- the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak!

When it comes to scales, don't worry about it.  You won't need a scale to tell you are making progress.  Very soon you will start noticing your clothes don't fit.  Don't go out and buy lots of replacements as you will be dropping sizes very quickly.  At my first round of cleaning out my old clothes, I went and bought a bunch of stuff that turned out to be too much -- it all didn't fit before I could wear it.

I found that over-sized shirts can be worn for a while before it becomes ridiculous, but pants just don't last.  When the get too big, they fall down, even as you cut new notches in your belt (as you will soon be doing).  Also the legs become huge...

Your body will be constantly changing shape, even when the scale does not show any movement.  This will also necessitate getting new clothes.

Good luck!
kenhud1
on 6/6/11 8:04 am - Houston, TX
I know that a lot of people say to stay away from the scale, but it was (and is) a big motivator for me. Otherwise, everything that I am working for (and believe me it is work) is just too abstract. Maybe it's competitive streak (I have to "beat" the scale) or maybe I just think in numbers or maybe I just know that I need to hold myself accountable and the scale is a very concrete way to do it. I've always been told that you cannot manage what you cannot see. And for me, weight falls into that category.

For most of us, the loss, at least at first, is so dramatic that in my opinion it takes a number to comprehend. I can see that you could get "crazy" with the scale, but I'd be crazy without it. (Actually some say I'm crazy and that has nothing to do with the scale, but that's another forum...)
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Michael P.
on 6/7/11 10:40 pm
I totally agree with you that you need something to measure your progress whether it be a scale or tape measure.  I can see where folks would go overboard and become obsessed with the scales.  I don't go near my scale until Sunday morning and then let the chips fall where they me.  I have for the most part been pleasantly surprised each week and have only had one week where I had a very minor gain out of the past 17 weeks.  It is a huge motivator to see a loss each week and that helps get me to stick to my mindful eating, exercise more, keep a positive attitude, check in with the forum, take my vitamins and do all of the other good things that contribute to a positive and successful weight loss!

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
Michael P.
on 6/7/11 10:42 pm
Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that I didn't step on the scales until day 21 after surgery and then started to weigh once a week.  Don't get me wrong I was tempted to weigh during the week early on in my journey but usually found disappointing or strange numbers so I completely stopped and am faithful to once a week.  Good luck on this wonderful journey!

todpod
on 6/8/11 2:49 am - PA
The good news is that I just got back from my PCP and he reduced my BP meds from 4 to 1,  I was at my surgery weightm but I was up 8lbs aftr surgery so its all good..   I am getting alot of hand me down clothes from the girls at work who husbands have been gaining.  Some of the clothes I had presurgery were to big then and will keep getting bigger, the pantswere getting just to big so I passed them back to the girls at work for there husbands.

Thanks for the support 
Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In