Hate 'n the Protein Shakes...:barf:

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/07 2:43 am
I realize I need 'em right now, and although distasteful to me, they are only 4 ozs. But for how long? Did you guys continue 'em in Stage III, 6 months in, a year in? "Cause as soon as I can get my protein elsewhere, I'm launching this sh*t in the trash....
Cagledude
on 2/6/07 2:54 am - Lawrence, IN
James, I'm with you. I could never acquire the taste for them either and only had a couple in my 9 months. I preferred to get my protein by adding flavorless protein powder in my yogurt and regular foods. My doctor took me off all supplemental protein at my 8 month check-up. He prefers me to get protein strictly from food now. Each doctor is different, tho. Good luck. Floyd
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 2/6/07 3:16 am - Japan
Hey James, I'm 11 months out and instead of milk in my morning coffee, I'm using Vanilla Isopure No-Carb. I guess it's all a matter of taste. I use protein shakes to fine tune my weight loss, but they are not an absolute requirement, except maybe at the very beginning. Hang in There, Dave
TomL
on 2/6/07 3:22 am - Bradford, MA
I hear ya barking big dog. The first couple days was ok for me. I added a little banana extract to mine chocolate and vanilla to see if it helped. After the first week I was nauseos constantly from them. I changed to the Isopure premixed juices at GNC. They are not bad, expensive ($3.75 a bottle) but got me through. If you sign up for the GNC gold card you get 20% off a case of them, 12 bottles. They are 160 calories and no fat with 40g of protein. I had to change over to the shakes again just because I was getting sick of them. I switch back and forth day to day, depending on my mood. I only need 40g a day from supplements and will get toned down again in April. Also try skim milk in the shake instead of water. Makes it a little more tolerable.
Dx E
on 2/6/07 3:29 am - Northern, MS
James, Early on I used protein supplements But now a days I rarely do. Eggs, Meat, Beans, etc... I do keep some Low Carb SlimFastVanilla Cream To put in my coffee in the mornings. It's just one of those things that I got in the habit of doing And developed a taste for it. Is your protein the "creamy-Shake" type? Perhaps another option might work better for you... (Re-Posted Crap....) _____________________________ Need to get in your Protein But are having some difficulty early on Consuming enough? I had great success with- Zero Carb Isopure. Comes in 20 oz Glass bottles, Sometimes called or referenced as Glass Zero Carb Isopure, Or even Isopure Crystal on some websites. Calories - 190, Carbohydrate - 0 g, Protein - 40 g It comes in a number of flavors- Passion Fruit, Apple Melon, Grape, Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, Orange, Pineapple Orange Banana, And Mango Peach. On the Down Side- All of them have an after taste that is a little like Sucking on Old Pennies. My first thought when tasting it for the first time- "Who peed in this?!?" The Upside? Cut it half and half with some Crystal-Lite And the flavor is hidden completely. Don't try to get it all down at once either, Just have a little, 4 to 5 times a day. You get in more "water" this way and Since your system only processes about 30 gms of Protein at once anyway, Slowly "trickling" it into your system insures you Get the maximum benefit from the protein. If you've got a GNC store nearby, Stop in and buy a few. It is cheaper to shop around on the net And order a case, but only after you know that you will use it. I found the Orange, mixed with Crystal-Lite Lemonade Was great and so was the Mango Peach Mixed with Crystal-Lite's Peach Tea. _______________________________________ Just thought I'd share What worked well for me. Best Wishes- Dx
bigal2029
on 2/6/07 3:34 am - Springfield, MO
James I know what you mean. I am 12 week post-op and sometimes just looking at my jugs of protein mix makes me sick. But as I am sure everyone will agree protein is very important. There are many other ways to get protein other than powdered drink mixes. I have found IDS whey liquid protein shots work well for me. There are many other forms of pre mixed liquid proteins that are ok to good tasting. Also since I have so much of the powder protein mix left I got creative and started adding things to the mix such as banana's, peanut butter, and different flavors of sugar free syrups. Good luck. Alan
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/07 4:18 am - Island Heights, NJ
RNY on 01/31/06 with
Jim, At a year out, I still do the protein shake... but, now it's only an after-workout, recovery thing. I mixed up this tasty concoction at around the 3-month mark and still use it today. 8 oz Hood Calorie Countdown Milk 6 oz Dannon Light N' Fit Yogurt 1 scoop Isopure No-Carb Vanilla or Strawberries & Cream powder 1/2 Cub Frozen Unsweetened Blueberries or 1/2 Frozen Banana 250 Calories ? 1g Fat ? 20g Carbs ? 37g Protein Of course, being that you're only a week out, this might be a bit much at one sitting... but, you could split it up into 2 drinks for the day. I think it tastes great... and I hated the whole protein shake/drink thing Good Luck with your search Be Well, A.J.
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/07 8:19 am - Houston, TX
Hey James...I have got to where I can tolerate the 'New Whey" or "Profect" protein tubes...they are only 3 ounces and have 25 grams of protein...instead of that 20 ounce stuff.... 3 gulps and its done.... they also have a 42 gram tube, same 3 ounces...but they give me gas... Russ
dasloaf
on 2/6/07 10:34 am - brighton, MI
I love protein drinks. Use Myoplex lite or Ultra Max lite. The Chocolate are the best if you throw in some peanut butter. They are awesome. But you got to use a blender not a shaker.
SouthJerseyChris
on 2/7/07 5:07 am - Brick, NJ
mix it up and dump it on oatmeal or cream of wheat like you would milk. Masks alot of the yuck and makes your plain jane grains taste like count chocula..
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 55 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 79 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 106 views