A Freak no More...Normal instead

kevin moran
on 2/5/07 10:48 am - stockton, CA
In just the 2+ weeks I have found you men, I am so much more at peace, so less alone and YES I do not feel like the FREAK my wife and kids sometimes think I am. My journey would have been smoother had I been here the first 12 Months, alas; It is what it is. My wife, kids & friends... keep saying I have lost too much weight... my bmi was 44.9 and is now 24.9... HEALTHY !!!. I felt it was that they were just so used to me being so fat.. well I offer the following 2 real life examples... Last night the mom of my 10 year olds friend.. came by to our house and said " My God.. you are wasting away to nothing".. I replied... Hell your husband weighs less than I do she said..."yes but he has always been thin".. and I said what is the difference ?.. she said.. " I guess there really isn't any... DUH People are so used to me at 300+lbs, at 169lbs, I seem even skinnier to them.. it is not that I have a normal bmi 24.9... but they cannot process.. mentally... the difference in my appearence.... This afternoon my pharmacist.. said... "If you lose any more we wont be able to see you anymore".. I looked at his trim fit body and said..Hell Alan... I just want to be in as good of shape as you are.. he smiled... and did not say another word... I have new golf buddies, who have only known me 3 to 4 Months... they do not make these comments.. they never knew me at 320lbs.. so I look NORMAL to them... What a trip
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 2/5/07 11:03 am - Japan
Hi Kevin, I went from being one freak to being another "freak" here in Japan. At 280, I was so much fatter than virtually everyone. Now, that I've been into fitness over a year now (stopped two weeks for surgery), I sometimes hear people whisper, "That guy's body is different (from everybody elses.)", or someone will say "You look like a professional" (a professional "what", I'm not sure?). I think I prefer my current "freak" situation to the one before. You probably do as well? Dave
Dx E
on 2/5/07 11:07 am - Northern, MS
Kevin, Completely understand that odd feeling... Looking "Normal," yet being somehow "Different." It lingers for quite some time.... Even when people get used to the new packaging. At 3 ½ Plus years out, I still feel like I'm wearing a "Normal-Guy-Disguise." Glad you found this place!!! Best wishes- Dx
GoingMobile
on 2/5/07 11:09 am - San Dimas, CA
Kevin I am not sure I am going to know what to say to myself if I ever get the surgery. I have been me for as I can remember. I have always been the "big guy over there" to most people. I can pick em out of a crowd of 10K by looking for the big guy. I gues it will be a lot harder to find me some day. Think about it when you hear a friends name you have a certain vision of them in your head. Their vision is the big happy jovial kevin. They are struggling processing the NEW IMPROVED K-Dawg. Enjoy it.
SonnySmith
on 2/5/07 7:23 pm
I loved that feeling of normalcy when I was at a lower bodyweight. Unfortunately for me, it would take spartan dieting and extreme exercise to look "normal." I would stay there for a while until my behavior became "normal" (eating more and backing off the obsessive exercise) slowly but surely I would start packing back on the pounds until I was bloated and flabby again (a vicious cycle.) I am pretty good at dealing with a calorically restrictive eating plan, but only for so long. I hope the lap band will help me in the maintanence phase of this journey. After I lose the weight.....again. I am very much looking forward to my consultation a week from today. Sonny
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/07 10:52 pm - Island Heights, NJ
RNY on 01/31/06 with
Quick Thread Hi-Jack San Dimas? Ever been to a Wyld Stallyns concert? -A.J.
Scott_I
on 2/6/07 12:03 am
Party On!!
wbfine
on 2/6/07 7:06 am - Franklin, MA
I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought that! Be excellent to each other! Beantown Bill
SEBND2
on 2/5/07 10:53 pm - Breckenridge, MN
I hope that someday I look as good as you do. Have a good one, Brian
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 37 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 37 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 63 views
NFL Draft Sunday