Need help to get restarted.

James R.
on 2/4/07 7:20 am - Katy, TX
I had my lap band procedure abut fifteen months ago. I quickly lost 45 pounds, was feeling really good about myself, but got off the program. I travelled a lot with my job, then in the fall had prostate surgery which limited my activities. I do not eat much but right now am addicted to sweets. How do I get back on the program? I would like to lose another 60 pounds and get serious about my life again. I need some help and encouragement from others that may have been in the same situation.
Dx E
on 2/4/07 10:38 am - Northern, MS
Hey James Sorry to hear you're having a time of it. Have you brought it up with your doc? If it's the sweets, then another fill may not be of much help specifically But it may keep you full longer And cut back on over all eating? I have no real first-hand experience with the re-gain, But have read many who have fallen off the plan then got back on With amazing results over on the Grads Board. Maybe give them a look? At- http://obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/ There's an ongoing "Back-On-Track-Buddies" Post there, That may have some very specific helpful info for you. A member of my support group said she found herself In exactly that same predicament. The Dr.'s Recommendation? "Start Over!" He had her go back to a week of Liquids, Followed by Pureed, the Mechanical Soft, etc... The plan was to Learn to use the Pouch. And Establish new habits through Drastic action. She had skipped the "Learning" part her first time out. She now is at goal and said that- "Putting the Hard part of re-Learning how to eat At the beginning, made the later part much easier." Sounds like the "Sweet addiction" needs to be dealt with. Counseling is worth it's weight in gold where Emotional is concerned. Some find a prescription of Wellbutrin Helps immensely. (if that's the case.) Do something drastic like throwing out all of the sweets in the house. Flush 'em if you've got 'em! It's a lot easier to Avoid getting in the car and driving to the store to buy something Than it is to open the cabinet and have it on hand. Yes? Taking **** in the Ice Cream is still the Greatest Thing I've heard on this Board! Talk about Direct and Drastic!!! Hope this turns around for you soon... Hang in there! Best Wishes- Dx
kevin moran
on 2/4/07 10:46 am - stockton, CA
James: You have taken step 1.... What helps me is to pick 1-3 small changes I will make this week. For too many years I was ALL OR NOTHING ! Balance is the line I cross going from one extreme to the other Once I engrain these changes.. I add others... What are the 1-3 things you choose to do this week to restart ? 1. Cut sugar ny 90% ? 2. Dink water all day ? 3.Exercise (walk)5-6 days ? 4. Chose low fat foods ? 5. Track all calories on fitday? 6.Post your progress everyday? 7.Get a sponsor and be accountable to report in every day ? 8.Breathe, smile, go easy on yourself ? You can do it !!! You are not alone!!!
hobo998
on 2/4/07 10:08 pm - Canada
Hi James: The nice thing about the band is that you can "start over". Get readjusted and do what you did when you lost the 45 lbs the first time. Both Dx and Kevin have give you some good advice and I can just mention to come back to the locker room for the ongoing support that I think is essential for sucess. Terry
Finfish
on 2/5/07 2:29 am - Katy, TX
James, I have to constantly remind myself not to get too comfortable in my recliner in the evenings or on the weekends. Get out of the chair, go walk around the mall. If you are on the road, go find a mall to walk around. They are usually pretty safe. I know it can be difficult making good food choices on the road, especially when you are bored in the evenings. It is just something you have to be conscious of and work at. As far as the addiction to sweets, I use sugar free popsicles and sugar free pudding to help with my cravings. A banana or an apple work pretty good too. I find I crave sweets more when I am bored, so that is another reason I try to stay active. Good luck
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 37 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 37 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 63 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 88 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 98 views