Approved Meds Post RNY--I have a massive headache!!

Ron .
on 2/4/07 6:39 am - DFW, TX
Guys, I can't seem to find my list of approved meds. I have a massive headache that Tylenol is not able to get rid of. What other over the counter meds are ok to take? Thanks in advance!!! Ronnie
Dx E
on 2/4/07 8:03 am - Northern, MS
Ron, My first advice would be a hot shower and massage!! (that's my 'cure' for most everything.... There are a bunch of Meds that are often listed as "Dis-Allowed" By various surgeons, But, for the most part, The negative side effects are over exaggerated. Many Docs will allow ****asional use) Of Over the Counter drugs that others have been told "Never!" I think the "Never!" is a way of simplifying it for early on patients Who's pouches are still irritable. With many, it is the effect on clotting that causes them to be forbidden for early post-ops When the risk of bleeding could be increased. Aspirin and NSAIDS are often included because repeated use Could lead to ulcers, which would become very difficult to deal with For many patients. Call the doc, but here's the "usual suspects" that are passed on among patients. (all of that to say- "Take with Grain of Salt!") One list found at- http://www.gastricbypassfamily.com/Avoid.html Another - http://www.dhmc.org/webpage.cfm?site_id=2&org_id=28&morg_id=0&sec_id=0&gsec_id=35546&item_ id=35548 Typically it is as general as- "Drugs that are corrosive to the gastric lining are not recommended for patients. (i.e.: Aspirin, Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - Ibuprofen and naproxen, Potassium supplements, to name a few). " Or as limited as- "Medications to Avoid: (from Ralph L. Guatelli, RPH, BSPH, is currently a Pharmacy Operations Manager for PMSI of PharMerica, Inc) Advil Alka-Seltzer Vanquish Aspirin Bufferin Coricidin Cortisone Excedrin Fiorinal Ibuprofen Motrin Pepto-Bismol" When attempting to give "The Complete List" Some patients pass on semi-erroneous information as below..... ________________________________________________________ MEDS TO AVOID AFTER SURGERY: "From WLS site" Meds to avoid post-op: "Always ASK Your Surgeon/PCP" Advil, Alka Seltzer, Anacin, Ascriptin, Asprin, Befferin, Coricidin, Cortisone, Dolobin, Emperin, Excedrin, Feldene, Fioinol, Ibuprofen, Indocin, Meclomen, Motrin, Nalfon, Naprosyn, Norgesic, Tolectin, Vanquish, Aches-N-Pain Advill Tablets & Caplets, Aleve, Anaprox DS Anacin Tablets/Caplets/Max. Strength, Ancid Ansaid, Arthritis Pain Formula Arthritis Strength Tri-Buffered Bufferin, A.S.A. Enseals Ascriptin A/D Caplets, Ascriptin Extra Strength Caplets, Asperbuf, Aspergum Aspirin - all brands including childrensBC Powder/Cold Powder Bufferin-Regular & Extra Strength Buffex, Buffinol Cama Arthritis Strength, Cataflam, Clinoril, Coumadin, *example- I've been on daily regimin of Coumadin prior and after surgery... Daypro, Disalcid Dipyridamole, Doan's Pills, Dolobid, Easprin, Empirin, Ecotrin Caplets/Tablets/Max. Strength, Excedrin/Any Type, Feldene, Fiorinal, Halfrin, Ibuprofen Ifen, Indocin, Lodine Magnaprin, Maprin/Maprin 1-B, Measurin Mediprin, Midol Caplet/200, Mobigesic Motrin, Nalfon, Naprosyn Norwich Tablets, Nuprin Caplets/Tabs, Orudis P-A-C Analgesic, Pamprin, Persantine Pepto-Bismol /Any Type Ponstel, Relafen Rimadyl, Sal flex, Ticlid Tolectin, Tolmetin, Toradol Trendar, Trigesic, Ursinus Inlay/Tabs Vanquish Analgesic Voltaren, Warfarin -* same with Warfarin...I use it regularly..... Wesprin Zorpin Stick with Tylenol if you can, but know that even Tylenol is detrimental to the liver if used too often. Hope you are feeling better soon..... Best Wishes- Dx
Ron .
on 2/4/07 9:31 am - DFW, TX
Thanks Dx! I've taken two extra strength tylenol with little relief. I don't regularly take any meds and didn't pre-op either. Pre-op when I had a headache that a hot bath or a nap wouldn't cure, then I would take something. I just don't want to take anything that would cause damage to the pouch. I would run down to the jacuzzi and soak in the ho****er, but the super bowl is on. So I am using an ice pack as an alternative. Go Colts! Ron
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 33 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 54 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 78 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 105 views