I made it through, and am home....

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/07 7:07 am
Had the surgery on 1/31. They actually took me a little early. Dr. said it took about 2 hours. Woke up feeling goog, had a hard time peeing again after they removed the foley. Trie walking the floors to get stuff moving, but I have 1 problem I haven't seen listed here. My gas is not coming out solo, so I have to try and be near a bathroom, so I don't "gamble & lose", as my friends and I refer to it. The nurses never put on my CPAP, either, so my throat is torn up, and it REALLY hurts to try and clear it. Also, if I go and sit in the bathroom, pushing also hurts. I don't push hard. Also, I think for the next few nights, I'm sleeping in the recliner. I can't risk one of the kids sneaking in with us in the middle of the night, and kicking me in the gut but accident. Any ideas how to alleviate some of this pain? The doc gave me oxy, cuz I'm allergic to percocet. Took one at noon, whacked me out for a few hours. Can't take another til midnight. I'm watching the clock.... Thanks again for the support....need to go sit, and keep my head straight...feel a little woozey.....
HePaid4That
on 2/2/07 8:05 am
Hi Jim, welcome home. Sorry to hear about the issues with the throat. Try some Tylenol for pain (No Advil, aspirin, or Ibuprofen) in between the Oxy. First few days it's best to be knocked out. Helps with the boredom. You are going through the process of flushing all those IVs right now. That lasts a day or so, then you have to concentrate on getting your fluids in. Broth is your best friend. Hang in there, the first week is the worst until you get to go back to the doctor. And then you get to see the scale. Greg
semperfidad
on 2/2/07 11:19 am - Shelbyville, IL
Doc gave me a liquid called Torodol . It worked great, but I didn't have anything close to what you did (Mine was Lap-Band). Welcome to the losers bench!! Semper Fidelis!
Dx E
on 2/2/07 12:56 pm - Northern, MS
Jim, Glad to hear you're home. OxyContin, Vicodin, and Hydrocodone, All increase your gassiness and constipation, So use them as sparingly as you can. Now that you're, Walking is one of the best Long range pain management tools and Since most of the pain will be from "trapped gas," The Walking targets the problem rather well. ...(side note: All the 'walking' early on? ...Is more about keeping bloodclots from forming in the legs ...Than it is about getting "exercise." ...It doesn't have to be "physically challenging," just Done!) Also try a simple Heating pad. Place it on your back and not on your actual incisional area. The comfort from the heating pad comes from increasing your Blood flow in the area where applied, And increasing blood flow to your incisional area Could increase your odds of having a Seroma. (Blood or Fluid Trapped within tissue.) Another great pain reliever is a loved one willing To rub your hands or your scalp. Any such stimulation releases endorphins and causes You to just "feel better." (ups the dopamine & serotonin levels in your brain) The recliner is a Great idea and many folks out here Have found them to be the only way they could get through that first week. Most docs will call in a sleep aid, Or clear patients for Benadryl to help them sleep and rest. Give your doc's office a call. Getting all the rest you can is important. Sip water all you can in tiny sips, walk -even if only for 5 minutes At least every 2 hours, and know that it does get better soon. The Sugar Free Popsicles are very helpful at getting in your water. Hope you are feeling better soon! Best Wishes- Dx
carrtje
on 2/2/07 2:11 pm - Chico, CA
Welcome to the bench, pass the meds.
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 62 views
NFL Draft Sunday