Revision to sleeve. Please no hate!

Nic M
on 2/26/16 2:51 pm

Maybe take a look on the Revisions forum. A lot of people have revised from Lap Band to other forms of WLS. Maybe they will have some info for you? 

Good luck to you. I hope all goes well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hislady
on 2/26/16 9:26 pm - Vancouver, WA

Oh yes it is very possible many have revised from band to sleeve or other surgeries. Depends on the surgeon, some like to remove the band let everything heal and then revise to the sleeve. Others like yours feel comfortable doing it all in one surgery. It will all depend on your insurance and how it is written as to what may or may not be covered. Mine didn't cover any kind of bariatric surgery, not even removal of my band so I had to pay for that myself. Thank goodness the hospital worked with me on it but I was already in for some other reasons so I don't know if they would do it for just band removal or not. Anyway wishing you the best and if I can help at all just holler!

EB2009
on 3/11/16 7:14 pm

UPDATE: THE PLOT THICKENS!!!  So my surgeons office insurance coordinator called me on 3/4/16 and stated to me that my insurance company would not cover both surgeries only the lap band removal and then I would have to go through the six months period like I did for the lap band to get the sleeve. I was very upset and couldn't understand why they wouldn't cover it.

So I called my insurance company and spoke to a rep and explained my situation and she checked and didn't see a pre authorization submitted but she said she could have missed it however it didn't matter. She explained to me that yes they have been an increase in lap band patients that had some problems with the band in one way or another and they did make exceptions in some cases to do both surgeries at one time. She reviewed my case and said she was unable to make a decision but she would submit it to the review panel and a decision would be made in 48 hours. This was 3/7.

I got a call back from the rep on 3/10 and she said since this was a pre-existing condition and the band had to be removed my insurance would cover them both at the same time. I was so excited about getting rid of the lap band and getting the sleeve. I called my surgeons office and left messages all day and no one called me back. I expected them to be just as excited as I was. Boy was I wrong!! I got a call today that my surgeon didn't want to do them both but would remove the band and have me do the six month process and then do the sleeve. I was blown away. I've already gained 59 pounds back and gaining! Not to mention the stress on my family with me having to have 2 surgeries in a 7 month period. When I got the lap band we got together as a family and made the decision together for me to have it, with the understanding that this would be it. IT WASN'T! I just don't feel I can take them or myself through this twice, 3 times if I count my initial surgery. Do we suffer from a serious condition? If I had cancer would I be going through this? The most upsetting thing is I felt I built a strong relationship with my surgeon and on the surface it looks like MONEY may be the reason both surgeries are not being done. I really HOPE not. I'm just lost right now. I'm going to seek a 2nd opinion. PLEASE KEEP ME IN YOUR PRAYERS as I walk through this!! THX TO ALL!!

Nic M
on 2/24/16 9:02 am

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's a common experience. Consider reading the Revisions forum to find more information, EB2009. You'll find many posters who have the same or similar issues. 

Best of luck to you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/16 5:02 am

4 years now, I made the decision of having bariatric surgery as I had the BMI greater than 40.. I contacted Placidway in February, and till the end of April I had my gastric sleeve scheduled in Mexico, as the prices were almost half of the price I would have paid in US.

The surgery was successful, I'm more than happy with the decision I've made eben if I was a bit confused then. Now the results are talking by themselves.. People from Placidway f
ound for me some of the best packages so I could choose one according to my fundings and needs. They explained me in detail each procedure so I could choose by myself. Even when I had my surgery they were there asking about me and about my condition. I would like to thank also the surgeon for its professionalism, patience, kindness. After 3 years, I see myself happy with my body, living a new life.

Kathy2852
on 3/4/16 6:00 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

Thank you so much for posting!  My revision from band to sleeve is at the end of March. I have gained half what I lost. How is sleeve eating different than band eating?  I am only taking 2 weeks off work but I am wondering if that is enough. I spend time at a desk but I run several workshops a week. I just don't want to use all my sick time. I know there will be follow ups I will have to take off work for. 

5834abigail
on 3/10/16 1:14 pm

I am so glad I found your post. I was banded six years ago, never had significant weight loss success, started having sharp chest pains about one month ago, had an upper GI, learned my band has slipped, had all fluid removed & am now waiting to hear from my insurance company to see if band removal and/or conversion to sleeve is covered. Doctor says removal most likely covered, but not conversion to sleeve because my BMI is not high enough. Oh the irony of it all! I certainly am not going to pack on the pounds to meet BMI criteria. For now, I sit & wait. At least the pain is gone for now. 

bandhope
on 3/22/16 7:21 pm - TX

It is good to find you here. I am glad you are having success! Congrats! 

bandhope
on 3/22/16 7:23 pm - TX

It is good to find you here. I am glad you are having success! Congrats! 

Most Active