Revision to sleeve. Please no hate!

C J
on 2/18/16 4:47 am - , TN

I knew I would get some love from you!!!!!!  Thank you so much for your response.  I know you KNOW what I'm talking about.

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

lizybird
on 2/18/16 3:31 pm - Tamarac, FL

I need help regarding my Hiatal hernia. dr said its very large. gi doc.  friday, i go for a ct scan of my chest, I have a 6 year old lapband. I lost 96 lbs and gained 30 over the past 2 years.  I have to have the hh repaired.  i dont know what to do.  sleeve. rny or weigh****chers. i am aware that its my choice. then i was planning just to have the fluid take out and leaving the band so dr doesnt hve to cut it out.  I think that the drs want to do what ever as long as they get paid. i am 68 years old.

C J
on 2/19/16 11:24 am - , TN

I am sorry you are going thru this.  I have no idea about RNY, but I love my sleeve.  You will probably have a harder recovery bc of the band...I did....but totally worth it.  I say sleeve, but my suggestion is to post this on the revision board and get input from people with both surgeries.  My sleeve has done what the band was supposed to do.  The thing I like is that I don't have to deal with dumping and malabsorption!  It sounds like you do well with restriction.  Sleeve is restriction without agony.  I LOVE MY SLEEVE.  Good luck with your decision.  Please keep me posted.

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

GuyMontag
on 2/19/16 11:40 am

I think a lot of people get the band because they think it is less-invasive and can easily be reversed.  Don't believe that.  The band causes scar tissue and if you are scared about what the sleeve will do to your stomach and you think the band will be better, think again.  Weight loss surgery is surgery and that's going to affect your body.  I've had my lap band for over six years and have had dozens of friends over the years that have continually had their bands slip, erode, etc. only to have problems on top of more problems.  I lost 127lbs in 9 months and kept off the majority of my weight for five years.  As soon as I had some fluid removed I gained weight back.  During my whole six years I've had terrible GERD.  I can't wait to revise to the sleeve!

Hislady
on 2/19/16 4:09 pm - Vancouver, WA

It is good to see a guy posting of having problems since for some reason they either don't have as many issues or they just "man up" and ignore the misery! I think females are more prone to joining support groups and go on FB to complain. So maybe this will encourage more guys to come forward or at least make others more aware of issues that can happen with the band. It has done so much damage to many people I know. Wish you all the best with your sleeve, I know you will love it.

GuyMontag
on 2/19/16 9:27 pm

I'm pretty used to being the only guy in chat rooms, forums, or support groups.  I guess guys do have trouble showing when they are in pain or uncomfortable but I'd rather address my issues and move past them.  I'm over the band.  I have no fluid in my band and still have heartburn and indigestion every day.  I have my wellness assessment on Monday and that's one of the last steps before trying to get insurance approval so I am definitely ready and excited.  Fingers crossed that insurance approves quickly and I can get the surgery!  Thanks for the encouragement.

C J
on 2/20/16 12:41 pm - , TN

Thanks for your post.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

KattattaK
on 2/20/16 9:08 am

CJ, this exactly what I am experiencing!!! Had the band in 2005. Went through the exact same things you experienced. My band has been sitting inside me empty since about 2009. MRI has shown it is broken in 2 places. I need to have it removed but am soooo afraid of what will be found. I've been on the fence about a revision forever due to what I consider a traumatic experience having that darn band! Wish I knew then what I know now. I would never have had band surgery. Despite being a lightweight, I would have fought for something different or simply waited to see if something better would have come along, which is exactly what happened when the sleeve came around a few years later. I've also been researching the mini gastric bypass. I just don't want to experience failure again and have to worry about another surgery down the road if I can help it. Congratulations and all the best to you!!!

annjones
on 8/23/16 2:45 pm - Kansas City, KS
RNY on 02/13/17

Ditto!

Ann Jones
HW-304/SW-295/CW-226/GW-200

RNY Surgery 2/13/2017
12/23/08 Band Date - Removal Date 08/15/16

KattattaK
on 2/20/16 9:17 am

CJ, did you have removal and revision done at the same time? Also, when you mention sleeve recovery was worse than band, are you referring to pain and down time? I'm trying to get as much info as possible before making a decision on whether or not I will have revision surgery, and if so, which one I will decide on. Thanks :)

Most Active