Accountable

bandhope
on 7/8/13 12:15 am - TX

I have been banded for 5 1/2 years now. I saw a lap-band doctor in Nov. and had several test. The tests all came back great and the doctor seemed very pleased with my progress. Last night, I found a journal my surgeon gave me prior to the surgery. I recorded my pre-op measurments and then 3 months later. I did lose super fast within 3 months and I was down almost 50 pounds. However, I took my measurements last night and was dissapointed they were within a couple of inches from 3 months out. I am still down over 50 lbs. and wearing a size 6, but my weight has creeped to 136 lbs in the last couple of months. I like to stay within 128-130 lbs. I feel like for the most past I eat very healthy. I mostly eat a vegetarian diet, but sweets are a drug to me. I try to limit my sweets to sugar free frozen yougart or weigh****chers, but sometimes, I cave and go for the real thing. I'm still searching for a good balance. I know I can't be so strict that it feels too hard to live, but I have to be accountable at the same time. My biggest fear is being on the "diet roller coaster". I spent way too many years on that awful ride and I won't do it again. I have to re-focus and be accountable by visiting here more often and being more aware of what I am eating. I'm still working out a lot and I'm happy with my work-outs. I train for a half marathon every year and during the bulk of the training is when I can keep my weight on target. However, it is tough when I am not running a ton of miles. I don't think it is relalistic for me to run like I am running a half marathon all the time so I just have to figure out how to reduce my calories during off season. It is super tough and I don't want to feel like I am dieting. It truly is such a mind game at times.

Lisa O.
on 7/8/13 3:01 am - Snoqualmie, WA

You're doing the right thing by nipping it in the bud now before it gets too far out of hand.  I gained 10 lbs in year 4 and was never able to lose it due to the sugar addiction I developed because i was no longer able to eat the large amount of food that I could pre-band.  I was eating candy like crazy and pushing the limits of my pouch everyday and stretched my pouch to the point of blowing out the junction between my pouch and esophagus.  I had to get my band removed in May because the reflux and night cough did too much damage and it was a dangerous situation.  I loved my band and don't really have regrets for the surgery I chose, I just regret that after 4.5 years I'm learning that I still can't apply all of the behaviors that helped me lose 100+ lbs.  I know I can do it, because I did it before, but without my band I'm gaining rapidly.  I'm considering a revision this Fall. 

It's good to see you post and I know you have the strength to get back on track.  The one thing I've never been able to accomplish but you have, is working exercise into your daily routine.  I believe it's critical to long term success.

Hang in there!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

katiekat412
on 7/8/13 9:47 pm

Hola! I remember you! I had bypass in 2008 and gained more weight than you. I'm back at it and looking for the old support I used to get here. Best of luck to you!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Jean M.
on 7/12/13 10:26 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

It's great to see you again, but I'm sorry that's because you're struggling.

My suggestion is that if you're not already keeping a food log, try doing that for a week to get a better idea of what and how much you're consuming. I also want to say that if your weight is up but you're still wearing a size 6, maybe some of the extra weight is muscle mass?

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

mpafford
on 7/15/13 12:15 am - TX

I have been gone from these boards for too long.

I had Lap Band 8 yrs ago. Lost great, 116 lbs.

Then about 3 yrs ago I developed a dialation. I have gained back 40 lbs!!!! So upset with myself. I guess I just got lazy, and forgot that the band only works when you give it the help it needs.

I even thought of trying to get a revision, but with my insurance company this type of surgery is excluded from my plan. I have been getting reflux daily and just about every night it wakes me.

I am so glad I found this post. It made me go back and read my own  story. I am a sweet freak as well. BUT I plan to get on these boards daily and read, read, and read some more.

Thanks for posting.

Montie

Montie P
Lap band 3-4-05 starting weight 312 now 190
LBL/BL  w/lipo            6-18-08
Arm/Thigh Lift w/lipo  1-07-09

Sometimes losing is really winning!
Most Active