2yr BOB-versary+ 11yrs post-op RNY

heathercross
on 6/20/13 11:59 am - New York, NY

I celebrate my 2 year anniversary this weekend from my BOB (Band over Bypass) and I will be 11 yrs post-op from my RNY in August.  In 2002 I was 305lbs and I am 175 today.  

Do people hate the band? YES. Do people hate the RNY?  YES.  Are either full proof?  NO.  I will say this however, the RNY was EASY the band is work.  But, I like work and I like a challenge and it keeps me in check.  I have no appetite and I am not hungry.  Not hungry in 2 years. I spent 9 years hungry with the RNY.  Did I ever throw up with the RNY?  NEVER?  Do I like all the throwing up with the Band - NOT SO MUCH.  Would I trade it?  NOT FOR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD!

People ask why I got the BOB and not the DS.  Well, I know too many people who had numerous complications with the DS.  And, I could of had it with the best WLS surgeon in the world as I've known Mitchell Roslin for 10+ years but he didn't' think the DS was right for me.  He wanted me to have an RNY revision.  But, I didn't want that.  I wanted the BOB.  There was no way I was untaking that much risk and having a 2nd RNY.  It failed me once, would it fail me again?  

I chose the BOB bc it was right for me.  I am a volume eater and have been hungry every day since I had the RNY.  Did your band fail?  If so, I am sorry it did.  Will mine fail?  Maybe.  But, please don't compare my BOB to your Band.  Its not the same thing.  We don't have the same anatomy. I have a BAND OVER BYPASS.  I have the benefits of both surgeries and 11 years of experience that you don't have.  I am a smart, college and MBA educated woman who knows risk vs, reward and how to be proactive with her health and her future.  And I chose the band.  Today, 2 years out, I am glad I did.

PAWLLA L.
on 6/20/13 12:53 pm

I am so happy for you.  I had the Bypass in 2007 and lost 140 lbs, just 33 lbs from my goal.  I went through some stuff and my PCP prescribed Seroquel for me and said that it may cause weight gain...okay, now why would you put someone on that pill if you know it may cause weight gain?  Anyway, in 2 months, I gained 65 lbs and he took me off the pill...you think? LOL  I went on to gain all but 50 lbs back and I am so depressed and frustrated.  I am looking into having the Lap Band but the surgeons I talked to here in Ohio, (I had my surgery in PA) say that it may be too dangerous, that the band wasn't made for the golf size stomach but for a regular size stomach.  I just want something to work.  I'm ready to do the work, but I need help getting started. You are definitely an inspiration, thanks for sharing your story. I'm gonna keep on trying to get my surgeon to see how desperate I am for the surgery and see what happens.   Thanks again.

heathercross
on 6/20/13 8:28 pm - New York, NY
Thats ignorance speaking from your doctor bc how does he know the size of your stomach. if you've gained that much weight your pouch has to be stretched. I truely doubt your stomach is still golf sized. You need an endoscopy and ct scan of your abdomen to find out what is going on mechanically and find a new doctor who doesn't speak bull****!
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/13 8:20 pm
On June 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:

I celebrate my 2 year anniversary this weekend from my BOB (Band over Bypass) and I will be 11 yrs post-op from my RNY in August.  In 2002 I was 305lbs and I am 175 today.  

Do people hate the band? YES. Do people hate the RNY?  YES.  Are either full proof?  NO.  I will say this however, the RNY was EASY the band is work.  But, I like work and I like a challenge and it keeps me in check.  I have no appetite and I am not hungry.  Not hungry in 2 years. I spent 9 years hungry with the RNY.  Did I ever throw up with the RNY?  NEVER?  Do I like all the throwing up with the Band - NOT SO MUCH.  Would I trade it?  NOT FOR ANYTHING IN THE WORLD!

People ask why I got the BOB and not the DS.  Well, I know too many people who had numerous complications with the DS.  And, I could of had it with the best WLS surgeon in the world as I've known Mitchell Roslin for 10+ years but he didn't' think the DS was right for me.  He wanted me to have an RNY revision.  But, I didn't want that.  I wanted the BOB.  There was no way I was untaking that much risk and having a 2nd RNY.  It failed me once, would it fail me again?  

I chose the BOB bc it was right for me.  I am a volume eater and have been hungry every day since I had the RNY.  Did your band fail?  If so, I am sorry it did.  Will mine fail?  Maybe.  But, please don't compare my BOB to your Band.  Its not the same thing.  We don't have the same anatomy. I have a BAND OVER BYPASS.  I have the benefits of both surgeries and 11 years of experience that you don't have.  I am a smart, college and MBA educated woman who knows risk vs, reward and how to be proactive with her health and her future.  And I chose the band.  Today, 2 years out, I am glad I did.

~~Do I like all the throwing up with the Band - NOT SO MUCH~~

Careful, this is one reason people end up with esophageal damage from the band.

Kate -True Brit
on 6/21/13 10:47 pm - UK

Have to say that for once I agree with idb! How often are you throwing up? I would personally start to worry if it happened more than perhaps once a month. Some people accept more but it certainly shouldn't happen a lot. I have never thrown up without it being my own fault -careless chewing, swallowing too fast. 

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

heathercross
on 6/21/13 11:37 pm - New York, NY
It's always my fault.
Kate -True Brit
on 6/22/13 1:00 am - UK

Easy to do! Sorry, I thought you were saying it happened a lot! Glad that isn't the case!

Well done on your loss!

Kate

heathercross
on 6/22/13 10:09 am - New York, NY

Kate, a lot of it is eating and drinking too soon or eating too much to fast.  I can eat all proteins, no left overs, and I cannot do bread but can do crackers and wraps.  I can sometimes do a croissant - which I eat only so often as its so buttery and delish!  My downfall is still wine.  Too much wine.  LOL

Kate -True Brit
on 6/22/13 4:22 pm - UK

Yes. Wine........., ! Goes down sooooooo nicely. I am about to meet my worst nightmare. I am working in Vienna for a month in August. Have you ever come across Austrian cakes? Very very band friendly foods!!! Designed to slide down! The lightest sponge or, if alcohol soaked, the moistest sponge. With oodles of custardy, creamy, meringuey stuff.  And always enormous slices. My idea of Heaven. Won't get stuck at all! 

heathercross
on 6/22/13 11:53 pm - New York, NY

No I never have.  Not much of a sweeter eater but they do sound yummy!

Most Active