Probable Band leak... (and I'm self pay)

kalamtykel
on 1/2/13 10:59 am

Its been so long since I've been here.  But I've been having problems with my band lately.  But before I even continue with posting my story, I'm going to ask all the Band haters who would love to flame me to back off!  I have absolutely NO interest in hearing any criticism for my choosing the Band.  If you want to spew negativity about the Band, please go to another board.

Anyway, I was banded almost 3 years ago.  I lost close to 70 lbs.  I loved my band.  I was pregnant and the band rocked my world, as i didn't gain the typical 40+ lbs that i did with my previous pregnancies.  A few months ago, i went from having great restriction to having absolutely NONE.  As in, i could eat a steak and loaf of dense French bread no restriction (not that i did, but you get the point).  I started gaining rapidly.  I was/still am breastfeeding, so i'm constantly ravenous.  This did not help matters.  I must be the only woman on the planet that gains while nursing.  So many women say that the weight just melted off of them when they were breastfeeding.  Well, not this mama!  

So today I was at the doc's office (not the first time since loss of restriction), and he is fairly certain my band has a leak.  At my last fill he thought i had 8mls.  That if anything he feared that might be too much.  Today, he withdrew very little when he checked the amount in my band.  He added some saline, and said I now have a total of 6mls.  I will go back in 2 weeks and he'll check the total again.  Obviously if its less than 6 I have a leak.  If I do, I'll need another surgery.  But the ass kicker here? I'm self pay!  I'm still paying off the first surgery!  I knew going in to this that a complication was a possibility.  I'm just sad that it DID happen.  Is there anyone out there that this happened to that was self pay?  I'm not even sure what answers i'm looking for.  Or what advice even.  I guess i could still be in shock.  Obviously i'm worried about the money, but im also worried about having to go through another surgery if that is indeed what will be needed.  I've gone through natural child birth three times and thought it was a piece of cake compared to my recovery from my Lapband surgery.  I was a flippin' mess!  Needing help to sit and get off the toilet, wiping my self and getting dressed.  It was so indignant.   Now i feel like i might have to start over again.  Noooooo!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to anyone who has a positive response or any advice to offer.  Again, Band haters and negative nellys need not apply!

Kelly 

cheyenne000
on 1/2/13 11:40 am
VSG on 03/25/16

((((HUGS))) So sorry to hear you are having a problem. Hopefully your doctor  just had a problem with adding and you don't have a leak. Keep us posted hope all turns out ok.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

prek-3
on 1/2/13 6:47 pm - Hollywood, FL
((((Kelly))))
No hating here! This happened to one of the veteran banders, they are doing fine after the repair . Would doctors office wave or discount the OR fee?

In the mean time, you may want to increase your solid, dense protein and fiber. So you won't be hungry in-between meals and you don't end up eating crap instead. Still drink your water consistently and put into practice those other lifestyle habits that you have learned from your band ( chew slow, exercise, no drinking with meals, etc...). Speak to nutritionist at doctors office ask for assistance. Focus on those same skills as best you can. If you can afford it,I know with a baby it maybe more difficult, but professional counseling. As you have no doubt you must be on an emotional roller coaster. There are people out there who never had WLS and they are doing it. I know we had WLS because we felt we couldn't, but, this surgery I know has taught me more about myself and about what I thought I knew nutritionally. Won't be easy, but now is the time to believe in YOURSELF, give yourself the credit than your Band.
Prayers,
Prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

Bette B.
on 1/2/13 8:39 pm

Just one question: if the band sprung a leak - which would be through no fault of YOURS - why should have you have to pay for the repair at all? 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

NanaB .
on 1/2/13 9:08 pm

Not sure why people would hate on someone for their choice of surgery....NONE are perfect, if you read the revision board there are MANY people looking for revisions from their Sleeve due to either HORRIFIC ACID reflux that medications will not touch, or their Sleeves have stretched (And the Sleeve is still pretty new, and this is NOT a good sign for anyone considering it).  Or Bypass folks that are a few years pouch stretched out looking for lap bands ...LOL...So I honestly don't get the band bashing.

I thinks it's just plain ole bitterness about the band and if it did not work for some they do not want it to work for anyone else....If there was a PERFECT surgery that did not have any type of complications or "Issues" then surgeons would ONLY perform ONE...and there would not be any need for BYPASS and SLEEVE revisions...how can anyone be so stupid to get NOT get the lap band because it does not work for some, if they want it.

First, make sure that you do in fact have a leak, I've had many bad fills where the port did not close back up and the saline leaked out, this has happened to me MANY times. Also if there IS a leak you may want to have your surgeon help foot the cost if it is HIS fault of punching a hole in your port or tubing. If it is defect with your band, then Allergen must pay for it or reimburse you.

Port replacements are not major and can be fixed easily, it 's just a headache, but if your tubing needs to be replaced you will have to be put to sleep under anesthesia.

I just had a replacement band and the old one taken out at the same time and hiatal hernia repair and it was the easiest surgery that I've ever had. Much more easier than my first band placement, but again, I have learned it depends on surgeons skill on how well you do after surgery.

If you are (Self Pay) you need to keep a rainy day fund with your band, and look into trying to get some insurance, because removing a lap band can cost over $15,000 with no complications.

Good luck

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

kalamtykel
on 1/2/13 9:44 pm
Thank you ladies for your reply. I'll try to answer all your questions...

I am seeing a nutritionist and an exercise physiologist at the same time. My doctors office requires you to work with them as we'll as the doc.

Nana, I do have insurance. The don't cover WLS. The doc is pretty good about his billing, he can usually manage to get some or most testing covered. However, I have a $10,000 deductible. Ugh!

@ Bette, I got the impression that if I needed a new band, I wouldn't have to pay for it. The doc said if I needed surgery, he'd work with me on the charges. He said something about the hospital and anesthesiologist charges though. Even if he waived his fee and the band was free, it still would be a good chunk of change. I know, it's still better than the initial $16,000 I spent 3 years ago. I'll find out in two weeks if I need surgery for sure. But I'm sure there's a leak. I know my band well, and know when something's not right. Even though he gave me 2mls last night, I still have no restriction at all.

Thanks again for the positive replies, it's nice to see familiar names and faces offering some advice.

Kel
NanaB .
on 1/2/13 9:53 pm

That's good that you have some insurance. I just want to let you know that if you suffer a complication from your band, your insurance MUST PAY FOR IT...because it will be "medically necessary", when I had my revision surgery, my insurance had an exclusion for Bariatric surgery ...BUT they paid 100 percent to remove my old band and paid close to $18,000 to repair a hiatal hernia and replace my band because it was "Medically necessary".

So you don't have to freak out about that, you should be covered for complications even if your insurance has a exclusion. The thing with exclusions are they will not pay to install the band, but they must pay for complications. You may want to look into them fixing your tubing, it worth a try.

Good luck,.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

CarolynJoisey
on 1/3/13 6:03 am

thank you Nana!! That gives me hope!!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/13 8:00 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On January 3, 2013 at 5:53 AM Pacific Time, NanaB . wrote:

That's good that you have some insurance. I just want to let you know that if you suffer a complication from your band, your insurance MUST PAY FOR IT...because it will be "medically necessary", when I had my revision surgery, my insurance had an exclusion for Bariatric surgery ...BUT they paid 100 percent to remove my old band and paid close to $18,000 to repair a hiatal hernia and replace my band because it was "Medically necessary".

So you don't have to freak out about that, you should be covered for complications even if your insurance has a exclusion. The thing with exclusions are they will not pay to install the band, but they must pay for complications. You may want to look into them fixing your tubing, it worth a try.

Good luck,.

Nana, Tell me how you were able to make your insurance company comply. Most people are lied to and they give up. Give me a step by step please, so I can share this information with other peeps.

Thanks

Lisa

Bette B.
on 1/2/13 11:54 pm

(laughs) Well, if it were ME, I would try to push the fact (as much as you can) that YOU didn't cause the leak, so it shouldn't be a cost that you have to eat. But I'm a pushy ***** enlightened

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Most Active