Almost 5 years!!

bandhope
on 12/3/12 4:50 am - TX

My Lapband doctor moved and I recently saw the doctor that agreed to take on his patients.  In order to see me, I had to have a barium x-ray and video made while drinking the barium. I passed it along with my blood work. My band was perfectly positioned and I elected not to have an adjustment. The doctor said I have a tiny bit of room, if I wanted it adjusted, but I don't want to keep it tight. He seemed very happy with my progress. I was thrilled everything checked out okay. I haven't had any issues, but having all those test  does make you nervous.

Things are going really well for me. I won't try to fool anyone and say I haven't gained an ounce or the road has been super easy. I have gained 6-8 lbs. since my lightest weight.  I do workout a lot and still wear most of my clothes from when I was at my lowest weight (119 lbs). I should mention I wasn't thrilled with the way my body looked at my lowest weight. Yes, it was nice to have room in a size 4, but I lacked muscle tone. My body looked a little sickly in some areas. I'm happier being a little bit heavier and with muscle mass. After all, life isn't about a number either.  I work very hard at staying fit and healthy. I workout 4-5 times a week. I have participated in some type of marathon event (relay, 1/2 marathon, or full marathon) every year since my first year after being banded. It keeps me focused on a goal and I love it! I have a strict training schedule 6-9 months prior to each event. It is a lifestyle change for me and I don't take a break from it. I workout while on vacation, holidays, on the road etc. I no longer view it as a punishment or something I dread. It is a time I give back to myself. Working out keeps me sane, happy, and fit. It is the best stress reducer! Running has also, taught me a lot about caring for myself. When I run, if I have a negative thought about myself, I feel as if I am running in sand. I know I must quiet my mind and replace the negative thoughts so I can finish the run successfully. Life is a lot like running. We have to learn to be kind to ourselves and put ourselves back on top of our priority list. Like, most moms I neglected my needs for so long and I made a mess out of my life because of it. I needed a change of plan and that is when I made the decision to be banded.

Bad habits still creep up. I tend to graze a little more than I should at times. I also, love sweets and this can be a slippery slope for me. I know with everything I must set my limits and keep a goal in mind at all times. I also, try to view food like I do with my workouts. Food is for fuel and not to mask feelings or replace needs. I must find other ways of coping with life's hiccups. It isn't always easy, but it is a decision I make to jump back up after I fall.

I'm also, proud to say I helped encourage my oldest sister to lose weight, my husband has lost over 40 lbs, as well as turning them on to running. I will be running this year's half marathon with my little sister. I can't wait to share this experience with her. It feels good to share this experience of good health with those I love.

My best advice for anyone starting this new life....is to try and see the bigger picture. Keep a visional goal in mind at all times. Play it over and over until you have achieved it. Make a decision to do something to care for yourself every day. Take small steps and reach out to others. Study health/fitness and self-care. Don't keep negative people around. Figure out what isn't working for you and either work at changing it or let it go. Don't forget you teach others how to treat you. Treat yourself with the same kindness you give to others! Best wishes to all! I will post pictures soon.

prek-3
on 12/3/12 5:28 am - Hollywood, FL
((((hope)))
Congratulations on a job well done! How wonderful that you and your family are doing so well!
And do happy to hear you are still exercising, I think that is what helps me to feel sane!
Come by and post often. As you can see its pretty dead here after all the surgery wars, many of us banished from the site.
* I gained like 10 pounds so I am hanging around here a bit to keep myself honest.
Blessings to you and yours,
Prek3
Carmen

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

bandhope
on 12/3/12 10:24 am - TX
I have always admired you! Keep trucking along. You got this!

Jenny

marymcd54
on 12/3/12 7:11 am - Warwick, RI

Nice to hear from you! Nice encouragement! I am 18 months out from my band surgery and also have started running/speed walking. I love it, I have done 8 5k's this year and look forward to doing a half marathon in 2013!

I need to push myself to exercise but always feel better after I do so it is so worth it for ME.

It really is all about ME Me ME right?

As I type this knowing time to get my butt down to the basement on the treadmill for a 5 mile run!

thanks for the encouragement!

(sorry for any spelling errors)

Marylmcd

bandhope
on 12/3/12 10:26 am - TX
Awesome! Keep signing yourself up for events. It will keep you accountable. Best wishes! Good job!
crystal M.
on 12/3/12 7:18 am - Joliet, IL

Exercise!!!!  My thoughts exactly.  I am totally dedicated to exercise too.  I am almost 4 years out...but I am still working on losing.  I have lost 175 lbs so far.  I find that when I exercise I am more careful about what I eat.  I am like you though and I will have my days where I slide and eat something I shouldn't or eat more than I should have.  I guess the key is we don't make a habit of it.   

As far as eating habits.  I have gone further than just worrying about protein and carbs.  I have been eating organic and non-processed foods for awhile now.  It does take more time (but if you use you crock pot no time at all).  But I make all of my foods now.  No more frozen or pre-made foods..they have all of those chemicals in them (that in some cases aid in keeping you fat or helping you gain weight).  I just thought if I'm going to eat healthy I would go one step further.  Some people think I'm crazy or obsessed.  Have you looked into that?   

bandhope
on 12/3/12 10:40 am - TX
Yes, I actually eat whole foods 95% and I am studying vegan. I like the health benefits it offers, but I love cheese so we will see. Keep up the good work. Best wishes!
kathkeb
on 12/3/12 10:07 am

(((Hope))) --- one of my band heroes since the start!!  I always love to read your posts.

I LOVE the way you talk about health - and above all, really, balance.

Your lifestyle change(s) and goal-setting are to be admired.

I follow your lead -- and choose fitness goals (3 1/2 marathons since my band, hiking Grand Canyon, hiking Swiss Alps) and feel so successful when I accomplish one of them.

I hope to keep my band for many, many years -- but I also know that the fitness goals I set and keep will help me maintain what I have worked so hard for.

Congratulations on your hard work!!!

Kath

bandhope
on 12/3/12 10:43 am - TX
Wow! I'm super impressed! You are kicking butt. Keep up the good working!
Jean M.
on 12/3/12 8:13 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

It's great to see you again, and to hear that you're doing well. I agree that heavier and more muscled is a better place to be than lighter and scrawny. And maybe some of that 6-8 pound weight gain can be attributed to your beautiful new girls?

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active