It is a FACT that lapband does indeed fail you!

Paula C.
on 4/17/12 9:18 am

Complications (regardless if you are at goal or not)  and unsuccessful weight loss are considered failures!  How to prevent failure in this article is just BS!! You CAN"T prevent complications!

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/lap-band-surgery-fai lure.html

2 Types of Lap Band Surgery Failure

YOUR Weight Loss Journey

Help visitors like you by sharing your advice related to this page or other topics...

Lap band surgery failure comes in two forms:

1. Unsuccessful weight loss
  2. Complications that require removal of the band

1. Unsuccessful weight loss

"Unsuccessful" means different things to different surgeons, but in general a procedure is considered to be a failure if you loose 25% to 30% or less of your excess weight (in other words, if you’re 100 pounds overweight that would mean you lost 25 to 30 pounds or less). Complete success generally means 50% or more of excess weight lost.

The following 3 studies directly reported on the percentage of failures, which were as low as 14% and as high as 37% of patients. Study C includes the highest number of patients and is likely closer to the national average...

Studies # of lap band patients in study % of patients withunsuccessfulweight loss after a specified amount of time Year of Study
References: A, B, C
Study A 317 After 18 months -13.2%
3 Years - 23.8%
5 Years – 31.5%
7 Years – 36.9%
Study B 190 3 Years – 19% 2004
Study C 1,180 5 Years – 13.7% 2004

Back to top of Section: 2 Types of Lap Band Surgery Failure

2. Complications that require removal of the band

Anywhere from 5% to 10% of patients have their band completely removed due to complications as the following three studies demonstrated…

Studies # of lap band surgery patients % of patients with band removaldue to a complication Year of Study
References: A, B, C
Study A 172 9.3% 2008
Study B 591 8.6% 2008
Study C 1,180 5.6% 2004

Problems that require lap band removal usually include one of the following complications, however, good bariatric doctors can often repair the problems without removing the band3:

• Band problems:
    • Band erosion (2.1% - 9.5% of patients) – (also called“band migration"****urs when the band actually grows into the stomach. The only treatment is permanent removal of the band. See our Lap Band Erosion page for more information.
    • Band infection - (1.5% - 5.3% of patients) – if this occurs, it is usually healed with antibiotics, but removal of the band may be necessary.
    • Band intolerance symptoms include excessive vomiting or a continuous feeling of discomfort. If these symptoms do not subside, removal of the band is the only option.
    • Band slippage (2% - 18% of patients) – occurs when the lower part of the stomach “slips" through the band, creating a bigger pouch above the band. Either removing fluid (from the lap band) or surgical repositioning it is required to repair it, although band removal may be necessary.

Symptoms include vomiting and reflux, and it's diagnosed by drinking a dye and checking for leaks via X-Ray. The band placement technique used by the surgeon also makes a difference; between the perigastric technique (PGT) and the pars flaccida technique (PFT), the pars flaccida technique appears to have a much lower rate of slippage (up to 16% less often).
  • Difficulty swallowing (also called “dysphagia")is caused by eating too quickly, too much or not chewing food enough. While it can usually be avoided by addressing these issues, some patients’ bodies simply can’t get over this problem, in which case band removal is required.
  • Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a highly variable chronic condition that is characterized by periodic episodes of gastroesophageal reflux usually accompanied by heartburn and that may result in histopathologic changes in the esophagus. It also often leads to esophagitis. GERD increases the risk of some bariatric surgery complications such as sepsis, but the condition is also improved for many patients following bariatric surgery.

Several at-home treatments are effective, including avoiding certain foods and drinks (alcohol, citrus juice, tomato-based food and chocolate), waiting 3 hours before lying down after a meal, eating smaller meals and elevating your head 8 inches when you lay down. If these don’t work, your doctor may recommend/prescribe antacids to be taken after meals and before going to bed, H2 blockers or even Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI). If the condition becomes too severe, it may require removal of the band. See our Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Symptoms and Treatments page for more details.
  • Port infection(1.5% - 5.3% of patients) – can occur in your abdomen at the port site. It is usually healed with antibiotics, but removal of the band or port may be necessary.
  • Pouch dilation(4.4% of patients) -refers to the enlarging of the pouch created after lap band surgery. It can often be fixed by removing fluid from the band but sometimes requires reoperation.
Back to top of Lap Band Surgery Failure

How to Prevent Lap Band Surgery Failure

Choosing the right weight loss surgeonis the first line of defense.

In general, the more experience your doctor has, the lower your risks. For example, one study found that the risk of adverse outcomes decreases by 10% for every 10 cases per year that a surgeon performs.4

Your surgeon’s technique also makes a difference. Bariatric doctors performing the pars flaccida technique (PFT) when placing the band see up to 22% fewer lap band reoperations than doctors using the perigastric technique (PGT).5

Take the time to learn how to find, interview and choose the best bariatric doctors.

The rest is up to you.

Following your doctors’ orders to the letter is much easier said than done, but it will greatly increase your chances for success. Specific factors under your control that have been proven to reduce lap band surgeryfailure are your…

Click the above links to learn more about why each is important and what they entail.

Back to top of Lap Band Surgery Failure

Your Options if Your Gastric Lap Band Fails

Even if you find the perfect surgeon and do everything that you are supposed to before and after surgery, there is still a chance of lap band failure. If it happens to you, you have a couple of options to stay on the path to a healthier body and weight…

• Replacing the band

This is usually only done if there is a technical problem with the band such as a leak. If your lap band failure is due to any other issue, you are likely to have better results if you convert to a different surgery, which leads us to your second option…
  • Conversion to a different procedure

Patients who undergo a different procedure after lap band surgeryfailure tend to have much better outcomes than if they were to simply replace the old band with a new one.

For instance, one study showed that patents who underwent Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery after a failed lap band had significantly more weight loss and exhibited better cholesterol levels than patients who underwent a rebanding operation.

In addition, 45% of the patients who had their band replaced needed yet another operation to fix a subsequent problem, while only 20% of the gastric bypass patients required a reoperation.6

The most common conversion procedures include Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery,duodenal switch surgery and gastric sleeve surgery.
sfnativewm
on 4/17/12 10:20 am
Thank you for this post.  I am going to bring it to my 5/16 appt. ......if I can figure out how to print it!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Paula C.
on 4/17/12 10:21 am
Copy and paste on WORD or go to website and print!
MARIA F.
on 4/17/12 2:22 pm - Athens, GA

~
In addition, 45% of the patients who had their band replaced needed yet another operation to fix a subsequent problem, while only 20% of the gastric bypass patients required a reoperation.6~

So many bandsters still don't get that! Or worse yet............DON'T CARE.

I don't get it, lol.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Nic M
on 4/18/12 10:34 am
It's unfortunate but true. In my experience, going through a ton of complications and watching my friends experience the same complications over and over has lead me to believe that the band is conceptually a decent idea but doesn't take into account the human body's various intolerances to this foreign device.

I would like to see it taken off the market to prevent further damage to unwitting people, but as long as it's making the type of money it is, that's probably not a reality any time soon. It will take myriad people being damaged and REPORTING it to even start to make a dent. When attorneys get involved (as they inevitably will at some point) there will be a lot of doctors who will refuse to place lapbands due to the risks... but there will always be people who haven't researched and believe it's a "quick fix" and "less invasive" and "easily removed." There will be doctors who see a cash cow and will still place bands, in spite of knowing how often they fail and how often they cause extreme, permanent damage. It's the Almighty Dollar at work.

In my surgeon's book, I'm in the "band success" column. I lost 100+ pounds. I didn't die. (Through the grace of God, somehow.)  But I'm left with enormous amounts of damage... I was aware of the risks... but this goes beyond the pale.

Knowing what I know NOW and knowing that hindsight is 20/20, I can't even believe how much I believed banding would be the "solution" for my obesity problem. After really thinking about how hard the stomach and esophagus work, as well as how the Vagus nerves wander throughout half our bodies, putting a silastic band around the top portion of my stomach seems like the WORST idea ever. What was I thinking? Rhetorical question~ I know what I was thinking... it won't happen to me... I am sick of being fat... I'll get the band removed if it doesn't work, easy as pie.  Delusional thinking at its best. Denial and desperation are powerful things.

I only wish that I could fully describe how awful my experience was... but there's just no words to fully articulate it.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

effini
on 4/19/12 10:02 am - CA
Revision on 10/18/12 with
It doesn't take a lawyer to get the complications reported and tracked, in a public manner. All medical manufacturers are required to maintain an "adverse events" log and to track the outcome. If patients and doctors were more vigilent about reporting their problems, complication would automatically escalate.

I know that my doc hasn't bothered to report either of my adverse events so I did it myself. Just takes 1 quick call to the manufacturer.
Cherokeesage
on 4/19/12 6:35 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I second Nic's post.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

1sazz S.
on 4/20/12 10:53 am
I have been away from the boards for a LONG time because I felt like I was the only failure.  I have hated this piece of plastic since...well, probably day 1.  I regret my decision to get it, and I regret not doing enough research myself.  I falsley thought this would be the least complicated, safest, easiest to heal from, least high maintenance WLS...I was soooo wrong!!  I know several people (in real life lol) who have gotten banded and not one has had long term success,  I no longer believe in my surgeon either.  He must know the failure rates.

Most Active