Dr. Curry?

Paula C.
on 3/30/12 3:34 am
Does he still do lapband surgeries? 

I know he has the band himself, and I do wonder if he has complications now? 

Because he no longer post here anymore!
Nic M
on 3/30/12 4:43 am
Good question.

I find it interesting that people who are part of a "support" forum simply forsake their "friends" here when they have complications.  It almost seems like they're only here for adulation or monetary gain, doesn't  it?

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MARIA F.
on 3/30/12 4:49 am - Athens, GA
On March 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM Pacific Time, Gerta Goober wrote:
Good question.

I find it interesting that people who are part of a "support" forum simply forsake their "friends" here when they have complications.  It almost seems like they're only here for adulation or monetary gain, doesn't  it?

You brought up a very valid point! It would certainly appear that way, wouldn't it?!

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/12 4:51 am - Mexico
On March 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM Pacific Time, Paula C. wrote:
Does he still do lapband surgeries? 

I know he has the band himself, and I do wonder if he has complications now? 

Because he no longer post here anymore!

I've wondered the same thing.  It's almost tempting to call him up and ask!

I was never really a fan of his.  He was totally unheard of before he started posting here.  This was nothing but free advertising.  When he got enough patients and a following from here he hit the road.  I've just never cared for that.
Nic M
on 3/30/12 5:04 am
I remember when OH used to have these "online events" where you could ask a question of the "experts" or "celebrity guests." 

I posited a question to Ann Wilson and a surgeon (I'm not sure what his name was and I'm not sure he was HER surgeon, even)  about the left shoulder pain. The answer I got was, "Huh? Why would you have left shoulder pain from the band?"  Of course, the last I heard, Ann Wilson no longer has a band. She's lucky if she isn't permanently damaged from it, at least.

Yeah. "Experts" and celebrities... those are the people to ask for help. I still remember walking away from my computer with tears in my eyes, thinking, "I'm going to die from this pain and I'm the ONLY one having it." 

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/12 5:20 am - Mexico
On March 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM Pacific Time, Gerta Goober wrote:
I remember when OH used to have these "online events" where you could ask a question of the "experts" or "celebrity guests." 

I posited a question to Ann Wilson and a surgeon (I'm not sure what his name was and I'm not sure he was HER surgeon, even)  about the left shoulder pain. The answer I got was, "Huh? Why would you have left shoulder pain from the band?"  Of course, the last I heard, Ann Wilson no longer has a band. She's lucky if she isn't permanently damaged from it, at least.

Yeah. "Experts" and celebrities... those are the people to ask for help. I still remember walking away from my computer with tears in my eyes, thinking, "I'm going to die from this pain and I'm the ONLY one having it." 

You were banded before I was but I was also banded in the day when nobody knew of the problems.  I remember posting here in 2006 and asking what was wrong, what was happening, why did I throw up all the time.  Everyone just told me it was my fault and I wasn't following the rules.  I left here in tears one night, actually I closed out the account.  I just sat and cried.  I found another board that doesn't exist anymore but those people were having similar issues to me.  Were we all just too stupid to chew?  Was the pain all in our collective heads?

I've learned something.  When someone is banded and you watch their posts it is a progression, tell me... tell me if I am wrong.  Usually those that are post op:

0-6 months are in love with their band and their surgeon.

6-12 months they figured out they are doing the work, not their surgeon but they are still in love with the band.

12-18 months the problems are starting to kick in but the scale is moving so they'll deal with it.

18-24 months they are sick to death of it and considering if a revision might be an option.

24 months on they are revising.

Check out the sleeve board, probable 33% are band to sleeve revisions.

You and I had similar 'on line' experiences and I decided then and there I would never lie about the band.  I will tell the good, the bad, and the fugly.  If someone doesn't like it, they know where the block feature it.  But over the years I've been amazed at how many slam dunked me for telling the truth and a couple of years later they were PMing me for info on sleeves.

Cheryl N.
on 3/30/12 5:27 am - Des Moines, WA
Jan 28 2009 to end of Sept. 2009 I loved my band but not in July 2009 when I flew and had problems because got too tight.

Sept. 2009 had my fill, couldn't keep anything down.  Got an unfill 2 days later.

Sept. 2009 to Sept 2010, never reached restriction, threw up alot of dense protein food. Was always hungry.

Sept 2010 attempted a fill, exact same issues as Sept 2009 went in for a slight unfill.

Sept 2009 to August 1, 2011 never lost anymore weight.  Regained from 175 to 203 lbs.

Decided on a revision in Dec. 2010.  Got denied in Jan. 2011, I held off on appealing because of my very ill cat and heavy stress at work, cat passed away in April 2011, work got better, so appealed and won.

Had bypass surgery on Aug 1st and now down to 155 and am very happy.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

MARIA F.
on 3/30/12 6:06 am - Athens, GA
On March 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM Pacific Time, Cheryl N. wrote:
Jan 28 2009 to end of Sept. 2009 I loved my band but not in July 2009 when I flew and had problems because got too tight.

Sept. 2009 had my fill, couldn't keep anything down.  Got an unfill 2 days later.

Sept. 2009 to Sept 2010, never reached restriction, threw up alot of dense protein food. Was always hungry.

Sept 2010 attempted a fill, exact same issues as Sept 2009 went in for a slight unfill.

Sept 2009 to August 1, 2011 never lost anymore weight.  Regained from 175 to 203 lbs.

Decided on a revision in Dec. 2010.  Got denied in Jan. 2011, I held off on appealing because of my very ill cat and heavy stress at work, cat passed away in April 2011, work got better, so appealed and won.

Had bypass surgery on Aug 1st and now down to 155 and am very happy.

Seems that "least invasive" band didn't work for you either. Congrats on the revision!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Nic M
on 3/30/12 5:30 am, edited 3/30/12 5:31 am
I left Obesity Help shortly after that. I think it was early 2003. I ventured over to Spotlight Health, where at least people were more caring. 

I'm not sure why I ever came back here, other than this screwy deep seated need to try to  help other people avoid that same horror. But it sure has been a pain in my ass, for the most part. My husband asks me all the time why I bother... and I've always said that I felt like it would be rotten to NOT help, if possible. I just remember feeling SO horribly alone when I was going through such pain. I wouldn't wi**** on anyone.

Your timeline looks pretty accurate to me. It's what I've seen, as well.

MARIA F.
on 3/30/12 5:33 am - Athens, GA
On March 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM Pacific Time, Gerta Goober wrote:

Hugs! I'm so sorry! It makes me so sad to know there are so many bandsters out there like yourself that was not able to get answers and support on here. You have been speaking out about the band for a long time. Were it not for you, Wasabubblebutt and Lynn B. and later Pumpkin speaking out and bringing attention to the issues this forum would not be what it is today. You ladies have taken a lot of abuse in doing so.

When I first started posting about my band problem this forum was very accusatory and insulting to those of us with band complications. And I know it was much more so when you and Wasa started posting about it. It is because of you ladies that bandsters are now not afraid to open up about their band complications on here. Because you all did when it was "unpopular" to do so and paved the way for others to eventually do so without having to suffer the same abuse you encountered when you first started posting. You all have done a great service to ANY bandster that is having, has had, or will in the future have band complications. Kudos to you all!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active