Stomack pacemaker...new

Laurena
on 2/5/12 10:49 am - Louisville, KY
There is a new weight loss surgery ,no side effects,less invasive then the Band.My Dr.confirmed it. It is a pacemaker around the stomack and just before you eat  you turn it on and it will tell the brain you are full.The start  of the pacemaker is implanted under the skin.I got a picture of it, but I can"t show it cause all I have is a computer.Used in Europe but also here too,but still fairly new here.

cathiec
on 2/5/12 11:22 am - Toms River, NJ

That's interesting!

Bette B.
on 2/5/12 11:41 am
 It's an interesting idea. But EVERYTHING has side effects. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Dev *.
on 2/5/12 10:24 pm - Austin, TX
Interesting, but given how many of us tended to eat past the point of fullness anyway, I don't know if this would really work for a lot of people. Essentially, everything would be a "slider" food.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Laurena
on 2/6/12 1:03 am - Louisville, KY
Hi..It must work otherwise they would not implant it!I guess it is just like we have the Band.For some it works good for others not so good!

Nic M
on 2/6/12 1:05 am
 Oh man, the thought of this scares me.  It's implanted under the ribcage, right where the diaphragm sits.  The diaphragm is in constant motion and then to put electrical currents near it? Yoiks. The band already causes referred left shoulder pain in a lot of people. This sounds like it would almost guarantee the same effect. Any time anything is near the Vagus nerve system that runs through the diaphragm, into the stomach and around the surrounding tissues, you're likely to end up with damage to those nerves... and damage causes pain. Any time you have an implanted device in a human body, there are side effects.

And the battery life is 5-10 years. The risks associated with anesthesia alone would make me wary of having subsequent surgeries. 

This is one of the side effects listed:

Undesirable change in stimulation,

possibly related to cellular changes

around the electrodes, shifts in

electrode position, loose electrical

connections, or lead fractures

It transmits info to your doctor's computer?! Seriously? This is so creepy, I don't even have words.

See where the Vagus nerves run through the stomach?

The VAGUS NERVES are VERY important... and once they're damaged, you find out just how much they affect everything in your body.

The vagus nerve supplies motor parasympathetic fibers to all the organs except the suprarenal (adrenal) glands, from the neck down to the second segment of the transverse colon. The vagus also controls a few skeletal muscles, notable ones being:

This means that the vagus nerve is responsible for such varied tasks as heart rate, gastrointestinal peristalsis, sweating, and quite a few muscle movements in the mouth, including speech (via the recurrent laryngeal nerve) and keeping the larynx open for breathing (via action of the posterior cricoarytenoid muscle, the only abductor of the vocal folds). It also has some afferent fibers that innervate the inner (canal) portion of the outer ear, via the Auricular branch (also known as Alderman's nerve) and part of the meninges. This explains why a person may cough when tickled on the ear (such as when trying to remove ear wax with a cotton swab).

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/12 3:09 am - Modesto, CA
This has been around in studies for probably over 20 years.  I haven't seen that it's been released yet for the public.  It's has really mixed results.  When I first heard about it, I thought it sounded great, but the last story I saw on it just within the last year like on 60 minutes, made me rethink the whole thing.  But, who knows.  All WLS have mixed results.

cat
Hislady
on 2/6/12 10:01 am - Vancouver, WA
After all the nonsense and ineffectiveness of my band I wouldn't let anybody put anything around my stomach again! My luck it would electricute me!
Most Active