Need advice - choosing between Roux-en-Y and Lap Band

Jocelynn
on 7/14/11 12:49 am - Leeper, PA
I'm having a hard time making a decision between Roux-en-Y and the Lap Band.

A little background about myself... I'm 26 years old and plan on having children in the future. I'm currently at 281 pounds, I'm about 5'6" (BMI 45), and I don't have any co-morbidities. I need to be right around 150 pounds.

I'm afraid if I get the Lap Band I won't lose enough weight. I'm also afraid that if I get the bypass now and gain weight later in life, then I'll have nothing to fall back on. I've heard that a lot of your success with Lap Band depends on exercise - I don't have a whole lot of motivation to exercise, and I don't know if that's just because it's hard since I'm big?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Bette B.
on 7/14/11 1:36 am
My first suggestion to you is for you to check in all FOUR surgeries before you get ready to make a decision. You want to make sure that you make the BEST decision.

Second, talk to a LOT of people who have had the variety of procedures, especially women who became pregnant after surgery, so you have the best chance of having a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby.

That being said, it is POSSIBLE to lose a lot of weight with the band. A lot of people have done really well with it (myself included), but it does not work great for some people and some people have no luck with it at all. That's why you need to spend as much time as possible following suggestion number one above.

It never hurts to exercise, no matter what procedure your choose, or if you don't go with WLS surgery at all. It's good for your overall health -physical and mental - and a helluva a lot easier and more enjoyable after you start losing some weight.

If you've got specific questions about the band and band life, feel free to ask. I'm one of the long-timers here, almost 8 years out. And best of luck, no matter what path you chose.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

BuckeyeGirl
on 7/14/11 2:21 am - TN
Hi Jocelynn, Bette has got it right, make sure you check out all 4 types of WLS, talk to lots of people that have each, and check out some research studies prior to making your decision. Don't limit yourself to either the band or the bypass. There is likely a better fit and your insurance will likely cover it even if it requires an appeal.

This question gets asked quite a bit (in fact there is a thread on the main board right now... http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4425044/Lap-band-or- gastric-bypass/ ), so you may also want to check out the search function to find previous replies on the subject.

I don't know much about the RNY, but I did start off with the band. My band experience was not great. I lost about 65 lbs the first year, but after that, I began to have complications with random tightening. I required numerous adjustments, but could never reach that elusive "sweet spot" ever again. I ended up having to have a complete unfill and then gained almost every last pound back.

In the process, I learned that the lap band has a high rate of post-op complications often requiring further surgeries. It also has the poorest stats on excessive weight loss.

I have revised to the VSG, which I love. We have a currently pregnant VSGer who is really active on the site in the VSG forum and some post pregnancy VSGers. You may want to check out that board to see what their experiences have been.

Best of luck, keep us updated,
Lindsey

Lisaizme
on 7/14/11 2:27 am - TX
I agree with everything Bette posted.

I'll expound on the exercise thing just a bit.  I understand the dislike of exercise.  That used to be me. I would rather have done ANYTHING than get up and move.  That changed for me.  How?  Well, I had some other incentives other than weight loss.  You have to find your own inner drive.

The exercise doesn't have to be heart-pounding, sweat drenching, omgimgoingtodie experience to do some good.  When I started I was bigger than you, and I started by walking down my long driveway and back.  The next day I took 5 or 10 more steps, the day after another extra 10 again.  Every day I slowly increased the amount.  Eventually I worked up to a mile.  Then 2 miles.

Doing it gradually, it wasn't difficult and I wasn't inclined to just give up because it was so hard.  You might find that swimming suits you better.  Lots of people enjoy Zumba (there's a low impact version called Zumba Gold and there's an Aqua Zumba too).  Biking is good, indoors or out.  Just find something you enjoy.  If one thing doesn't suit you after a few tries.. then try something else.

Whatever surgery you decide on will work best if you also move your body.  This is true for RNY, DS, Sleeves & Bands.  Good luck to you.

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

crystal M.
on 7/14/11 4:33 am - Joliet, IL
I think you should also attend some support meetings and listen to what everyone is saying...maybe talk to some of them before and after the meeting.  Knowing someone personally that you see or talk to on a regular basis helps a lot.  Question your surgeon.  I will not bad mouth another surgery or push opinions on anyone.  I feel surgery choice is a personal choice that you will need to decide on after you have done all of your research.     

I will jump on the exercise train and tell you exercise has changed my life.  I was 354 lbs.  I couldn't even walk around a grocery store without sweating.  I started out small.  I walked slowly and every week I would increase the time and the speed.  I now exercise 9+ hours a week.  I run, I bike, I can run up several flights of stairs....and I can do groceries without sweating!!!  I don't always want to go to workout every day but when I'm done I'm never sorry I did it.  

If all that stands between the fat you and the new healthy skinner you is exercise...wouldn't you want to do it???? 
raesan
on 7/14/11 6:17 am - WI
HI, I HAVE BEEN TOLD EXACTLY THE SAME. IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE MARRIED TO YOUR EXERCISE EQUIPMENT, FORGET THE LAPBAND, I AM LARGER THAN YOU AND HAVE FOUND POOL EXERCISE THE ONLY WAY TO GO. YOU ARE SO MUCH LIGHTER IN THE WATER JUST WALK LAPS, IF NOTHING ELSE. WALMART SELLS SUITS IN YOUR SIZE, AND THERE ARE CLASSES TO JOIN SO THAT KIDS ARENT THERE (THRY MAKE FUN OF YOU)  GOOD LUCK.
BostonMamma
on 7/14/11 6:28 am
I can only speak for the band but I just had a baby 10 weeks ago and didn't gain any weight.  Actually ended my pregnancy 14 lbs down from my prepregnancy weight.  AND I had a 10 lb baby so no one can say that I didn't eat enough. LOL.  I just ate the right things and the band helped me stay on track. 

So as far as the band with pregnancy....it can be done and it can be a very helpful tool for mommy and baby to stay healthy!!!

But I agree with doing lots of research as far as what procedure is best for you over the long haul.  Each has alot of pros and cons and only you can weigh them and decide what is best for you.

Good luck!!!
Surgery 1/4/2010
Pregnant 8/2010-5/2011 (back on track 7/11/2011)  

Laurel B.
on 7/14/11 6:28 am - Evans, GA
RNY on 07/21/17
I had the band in 2007.  I can not recommend it to anyone, won't knock it but won't recommend it.

I had a good doctor that was really upfront with me but I lied to him and myself about what I was willing to do and give up to have the band.  Of course I didn't really know I was lying but deep inside I was. He pointed out that until I face whatever was causing me to overeat to begin with it would not matter which surgery I had if I lost weight it would only be temporary, boy is that right!  He also said if I was a carb addict that I wouldn't keep it off with the band and to go with the other.  The reason being is, the band does NOTHING, not one single thing to keep you from eating carbs.  You don't get sick, don't puke, don't get dizzy, don't get full, nothing happens but weight gain with carbs.  I could eat candy, drink milkshakes and starbucks coffees from the day after surgery just about.  So if you are a CARB freak, just know the band is NOT for you.  The band forces you to adjust the amount of chewing, size of bites and amount of solid, fiberous food you eat.  You learn quickly what will not go down and when to stop.  I wish the lesson I learned was "dumping" from RNY or the sleeve.  Then I wouldn't still be a carb freak.

I am my own worst enemy, always have been, hopefully will not always be so but in the end the band has not been successful for me to keep off weight and few things are harder to deal with than gaining weight AFTER having weight loss surgery, especially if you tell people you had it done!

Look at everything there is and do what you decide. Just be sure to be honest with yourself before having it done.
Laurl

5'8" HW:265 SW:235 CW:224 GW:160.

ROUX NY 7/21/2017

LAPBAND 8/31/2007

Hislady
on 7/14/11 7:08 am - Vancouver, WA
This is one of the main reasons I didn't lose hardly any weight with the band. I have COPD (lung disease) so exercise is very limited. I only lost 20 lbs the first year with the band and nothing since then. Plus I've never felt a good restriction level, either too tight or too loose.  I was already eating 1000 calories or less a day so the band really made no difference in my eating. I personally would go RNY if that is your only other choice. See if you can get a sleeve, that seems to be a much better choice for most. Good luck to you!
MARIA F.
on 7/14/11 7:22 am - Athens, GA

RNY, VSG, or DS. U have 4 choices NOT 2. Do anything BUT the band! Long term success rates with the band are just too low.

I have the band and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. U might want to check out the failed lap-band group.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active