sushi

lvmy2grls
on 6/22/11 12:12 pm - NC
 I am craving sushi soooo bad.  It is one of my favorite foods.  I am 3 weeks post surgery and I know that sushi is not in my near future, but I am curious if any one has been able to eat sushi after your band surgery?  

I hear that rice is a real stickler for some and it may indeed be for me... I have yet to test it.  I just don't know if I should just write the idea of sushi off my mind for good.  What do you think?
Michele
debbie H.
on 6/22/11 12:52 pm - AR
Can't help you there.  Sushi is not my cup of tea.  However, I did learn the hard way to watch out for shrimp if it is in the least rubbery.  Also, I have not probs with rice, but I ALWAYS thoroughly chew it.

Lisaizme
on 6/22/11 1:05 pm - TX
I don't know if what I get is Sushi or Sashimi.. but it's the little rolls with seaweed and rice rolled around various things.

I unroll the majority of the rice/seaweed and eat mainly the insides.  I take in a little tiny bit of the rice, but not much at all.

White rice is not very conducive to weight loss, along with the propensity of it to swell and get stuck, it's also a high glycemic food item.  I'm too sleepy to go into deep explanations of the glycemic index right now, but you can read about it at www.glycemicindex.com.   They're based in Australia (or maybe New Zealand.. I forget) so some of the terms and food items will be unfamiliar to north americans, the basic principles are the same world over.

Hang in there.. you'll get through this post-op phase and be able to (carefully) have your sushi again.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

barbara314
on 6/22/11 1:15 pm
I am 4-1/2 months post-op, and I eat sushi.  I have to go very slowly.  I have it made with brown rice and I use low sodium soy sauce.  The seaweed tends to be tricky, so I avoid it.  Also, it's tougher to eat now because usually I would pop the whole piece in my mouth.  Much too big now...

I have it as a treat once in awhile.  I would say it's definitely too soon for you to even try it.
Good luck!
~ Barbara 

Tarris
on 6/22/11 10:07 pm
I'm 4 months out too and I have it once a week...I'm a sushi addict.  I have eaten Maki (the rolls), Nigiri (traditional sushi) and Sashimi (fish w/out any rice at all) and not had a problem with any of it. 

Everyone is slightly different but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Tarris
on 6/22/11 10:09 pm
Hmmm...just realized that my ticker says I've reached goal...uuh...not true.  I have not lost 79lbs in a mere 4 months!!  Must be something up with the site.

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 10:11 pm - Middletown, CT
I have not had sushi with rice, but I too love me some sushi! So, in order to get the taste that I like from sushi I order sashimi or seared ahi tuna and have it with some ginger, wasabi, and low sodium soy sauce. I also get miso soup and maybe if I am sharing with someone a calamari salad.

I love sushi, but with the band I have had to find alternatives because the days of me popping a piece of a maki roll in my mouth is long gone. As with everything else we have to find alternatives to what we used to eat, and that is how I get my sushi craving in while still maintaining my protein level and meal size allotment.

I would give it another two weeks (stage 5: full foods), I waited till then and was fine when I tried some. But everyone is different so take it slow and follow the band's rules.

Good luck.
aliciahegeman
on 6/22/11 11:28 pm - Highland, NY
im ok with it with small bites....however if i get the rest to take home.....i cant eat it the next day..or chinese food......worst stuck episode ever with that....so i only eat it once in a while....

psychomom
on 6/22/11 11:31 pm - China Grove, NC
I now only do sashimi but still love it !!!! :) Tried a roll awhile back and it came back on me.LOL Just go slow and small if you try the rice as it is so sticky in sushi anyways. If it is a no go try sashimi.:)

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 11:45 pm
ohhhh SUSHI!!! One of my FAVORITE foods!!

I eat it all the time...    I can usually eat 4-5 rolls with no issues.  Granted - I'm eating SLOWLY...   And I love it dipped in low sodium soy, or a spicy chile sauce. 

Anyway - next time you eat sushi, order it without seaweed, and get it with soy paper instead.

The soy paper dissolves, unlike seaweed that is sticky.  
Most Active