Taking the NO fast food challenge

bandhope
on 6/2/11 1:58 am - TX
I was talking to a friend of mine (fabulously fit friend) about her kitchen re-model. I asked her if they were living on fast food and she said her family stopped eating fast food almost a year ago. They have three boys all under 13 years old and they're all healthy and beautiful! She was telling me it just required better planning and discipline.

My family is similar to her family, but we shameless rely on fast food when we are running from one sporting or school event to another. My life feels like an overwhelming hamster wheel at times, but I desperately want to help my family develop better eating habits. When I do grocery shop, I do purchase very healthy foods. I study Clean Eating and purchase whole foods. However, I throw it all out of the window on game nights and those days where I'm running from one event to another. It's seem crazy for me to be so health conscious, but then fail when I'm in a time crunch. I do choose the "healthier items" at the drive through, but not my children. UGH!

I will be off for the summer and I'm taking the challenge. NO fast food. I pray we can have the discipline to do it. Anyone else, have a no fast food lifestyle with a busy family?
Lisa O.
on 6/2/11 2:10 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Good for you!  I think it's especially hard with kids.  I don't have any but I know the advertising lures kids and the time savings lures moms! 

I don't have kids so avoiding fast food hasn't been a problem.  I think I've had fast food 10 times in 2 years and the only thing I've had at McDonalds is a 4 pc chicken nuggets.  That's a HUGE improvement over my past addiction to MD's where I used to always get a qtr pounder AND  a fillet-O-fish!

I still eat fast food mexican on occasion because our local chain, Taco Time, has great chicken chili.  It can be done, you just have to be selective.  However with kids I know you lose the power when you walk in the door.  Most are not going to make their selections on what's the healthiest.

I commend you.  It will be hard, but you are doing a great service to your family in the long run!

Good luck!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 3:38 am
No kiddos here so FF isn't really a problem. But love your ideas of the challenge. Good luck!
Hislady
on 6/2/11 4:15 am - Vancouver, WA
Fast food has never been an issue for me cause we live 10 miles out of the nearest little town so it's just not worth the drive. I tried a burger awhile back while in town and it just wasn't all that great so guess I'm not missing anything!
marypatf
on 6/2/11 4:15 am
Very good! Good luck...
My son is the only one who would eat it.. He does like Subway veggie delite sandwiches...

But since he is a vegitarian, he cant eat mc donalds or such... (he will once every 5 months maybe, have fries..) 

Sometimes at work, I do order from our local tex mex..  I eat the meat and 2 bites of tortilla...
Every couple of months...

But I do rememver the days of McDonalds, big macs, whoppers...............
HW-272, PreOp Diet Start-269, SurgWeight-256,                                               CurrentWeight 189. 

crystal M.
on 6/2/11 4:43 am - Joliet, IL

I was terrible at this, but for different reasons.  When my daughter went off to college it was just easier to pick up fast food or pop in a frozen pizza.  To cook a whole meal for one was a waste of time...or so I told myself.  I think the FAT voice in my head will come up with just about any justification to eat things I shouldn't.  Most of these places the food is bad and I'm not talking calories and carbs.  I'm talking they use the lowest grade meat, full of antibiotics and steroids.  The veggies are of the lowest quality, full of pesticides (which make us fatter...look it up).  Places like McDonald's spray their food down with a sugar solution in the manufacturing process.  My nutritionist goes so far to say, if you eat there once a month it's one time too many...hahaha.

I stopped eating at fast food awhile back.  Not only do I save lots of money going out to eat constantly (it really adds up).  But my cholesterol and blood pressure are normal now.  A few months ago I was kind of put in a situation where I had to eat at a fast food restaurant and I ordered a small cheeseburger.  It was so greasy...my stomach got upset.  My system can't handle that crap anymore.  One place I still go to because they use fresh veggies and good meat is Chipotle.  I love that place and it's not so greasy that I'm running to the bathroom every 5 minutes...hahaha.   

I think it's a good idea to stop going to these places.  Of course I can't anymore without Imodium in my purse.  Although, I live by myself I am still pretty busy, I work 10-12 hours a day and workout 90 minutes a day.  On a typical day I leave at 5:30 am and get home at about 8pm.  It doesn't leave much time for much else.  But I have found ways to make fast meals for one person that aren't prepackaged or frozen meals.  I eat meals made from fresh ingredients.  I love my crock pot and George Foreman grill.  One of my favorites it chicken fajitas on my Foreman grill...yummy.  It takes about 15 minutes to make. 

I hope all that try this challenge do well...Good Luck everyone.    

kathkeb
on 6/2/11 5:53 am
Fast food is not a big deal for me --- but lately, Starbucks frappachino's have become an issue.

I made the mistake of trying a Mocha Coconut Frap at an airport a few weeks ago, and it set up a real craving for me. (what was I thinking????)

So, I will commit here and now that there will be no more Starbucks (or any type of blended drink) for me.

How about we post weekly about how it is going?
Kath

coachgrrl
on 6/2/11 12:11 pm
 I have 3 teens ages 13, 14 and 17 they are all very healthy eaters and WON'T eat fast food.  Since my band doesn't "do" fast food we rarely if ever have it.  So not an issue for me anymore...thank god.

I will own up to a chocolate issue tho...

Catapult
on 6/2/11 2:32 pm - Australia

Since mid-Feb the only fast food we have is Subway, wrap, chicken teriyaki, and then only once/fortnight.

I thought I would crave Maccas or KFC as we used to eat them 2-4 times a week, but so far so good. I think the more you eat them the more you crave them.

Cat.

vlp1968
on 6/2/11 8:24 pm
I think Cat is right- the more you eat fast food, the more you crave it. Fast food was a huge down fall for me, usually either KFC or Mcdonalds. I had Mcdonals once- maybe twice since surgery. It really didn't taste very good at all. However, I had KFC once, and it tasted great lol. What I usually have if I do fast food is Taco Bell, but it's not that often. Chipolte sounds like a good idea too, glad to hear they use high quality ingredients. There is one right by me.
Most Active