esophageal dilation

lvmy2grls
on 3/26/11 4:56 am - NC
 Has anyone experienced a complication of esophageal dilation?  My surgeon keeps mentioning it as a complication from band surgery.  I have not seen it mentioned in much of the literature on the band.  

I have looked it up on the internet and I see it can come from binge eating, excessive vomiting and too tight of fills.  It is quite scary in reading about it because it will most likely result in the permanent removal of the band, and a possible graft from your colon to repair the esophagus.  Just curious how prevalent this really is.  
Michele
Nic M
on 3/26/11 5:09 am
It's pretty common from what I've seen.  It can also be caused by simply having an esophagus that doesn't work quite as well as it should. And the esophagus really has to work hard to push down food and even liquids.

I haven't known anyone who had to have grafts done, but I do know several who've had esophageal problems due to banding and have had bands removed or had to leave them unfilled indefinitely.

However, I think the referred left shoulder pain that is very common with lapbanding surgery is a more distressing complication, personally. I'm hoping that doctors will start seeing this and mention it to potential patients as a possible complication from banding.

My esophagus dilated when my band slipped due to incorrect placement. I did have extreme bouts of vomiting due to the slip, though, too.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

whatadream
on 3/26/11 5:28 am - NH
Sorry I never heard of it.  My surgeon never mentioned it.
Kate -True Brit
on 3/26/11 6:55 am, edited 3/27/11 1:33 am - UK

edited to add - I don't think it is particulalry common!

It is a listed potential complication. But it is one that can usually be avoided by careful eating. That's not always the case, for some people oesophageal motilty is low (basically the food does not get moved along as well as it should) and that is not an effect of the band but for people who have the band, the two things together can cause issues. That is why some docs check oesophageal motilty before agreeing to place a band.

The occasional binge, occasional vomitting or short term tightness (i.e. from an illness) are unlikely to cause a problem but any of them in excess could do.

Band removal is not always necessary, sometimes an unfill to allow things to return to normal can do the trick. I have never heard of anyone needing a skin graft!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Lisa O.
on 3/26/11 10:27 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I don't think it's that common at all!  I've heard of it and the the best way to avoid it is to keep your portion size small and don't allow food to back up into your esophagus from over-filling your pouch.  You can also stretch your pouch but it takes consistant over eating, over a period of time to actually stretch it and/or cause a band slip.  Again, portion size, not keeping your band too tight, and controlling binge tendencies will help with overall band health.

I've never heard of anyone needing a graft. 

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Nic M
on 3/26/11 11:44 am
Maybe you've already read this information, but if not:

http://www.lapband.com/en/learn_about_lapband/safety_informa tion/

There's lots of information there... maybe too much to take in all at once! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Melanie C.
on 3/26/11 11:55 am - Inverness, FL
 I had a slight esophagus dilation at my last appt. My dr took out .5 CC and it didnt help.  I went back and she decided to take out all of my fill to see exactly how much I had in my band.  We thought 5.5 CC. When she took it all out I actually had 9 CC in my 10 CC band.  I was gaining weight and just felt terrible.  Now I'm doing better but Im still not losing weight.  
lvmy2grls
on 3/26/11 10:00 pm - NC
Thanks for the info.  It amazes me how much of a difference there is in what drs share with each of us.  Thankfully we have each other and the internet for additional guidance

Melanie-  Wow you had a significant difference in your band that what you thought.  No wonder you were so uncomfortable.  I hope your complete unfill gives you some relief.  Please keep us posted.

N.M. thanks for the info.  I am adding it to my file.

Most Active