Need Advice - Due for First Fill and HUNGRY!

mary101678
on 1/13/11 5:24 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12

January 20.... Not sure if I can hold out the week. I feel only a tiny bit of restriction. Am getting very hungry and craving foods.
Have not lost any weight in a week. Counted calories, and I'm around 950 per day, plus adding in lots of exercise.
Am measuring and weighing as well as counting everything....
Good lord... I hope I don't gain any more prior to that fill appointment!!!
Any words of wisdom are welcome!!!

Brown_Eyed_Girl2010
on 1/13/11 5:47 am
Lap Band on 12/02/10 with
Im right with you.  My fill is scheduled for the 20th.  I count, weight, and then try to convince myself that really I dont want anything else.  I think at this point in time if someone was to dangle a reese cup in front of me I would hit them over the head for it.   UGh  Hurry up Fill!!

Starting Weight 309  Surgery Day Weight 267  Goal Weight 170     
mary101678
on 1/13/11 5:54 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Yeah, I feel like I am back to the days of starvation on every diet I've ever been on... I'm just trying to keep it together for one more week....
Ye Gads!
Can't wait for that FILL!!!

grannymedic1
on 1/13/11 9:13 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I was the exact same way at this point. Please don't really expect restriction from this fill, because it is rare. I was one of the rare ones, and it really surprised me, but I was prepared to wait 5 or more fills. It is extremely hard right now, that is why they call it bandster hell. The good news is that more than likely it is at this point that you get to eat really dense protein. That does help with satisfaction. Honestly, until you get some restriction I would try to bump those calories to around 1100 per day. That may jumpstart the weight loss, but even if it doesn't it may well help you stay more satisfied. Now, I will remind you that hard though it is, you have to tough it out. I knew full well that this would happen before I got my band. I was even prepared to "be on a diet" until I reached goal if that is what it took. What I also knew was that my band would be there to help me keep it off.

It is miserable right now, I know, but hang in there it will be worth it. If you cave now you may not ever get things under control again. That was a big fear for me and it made me work harder. I hit goal in 5 months (didn't have that much to lose).  Good luck, Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

adorkbl
on 1/13/11 9:22 am

Hang in there! Stay strong. It is HARD in the beginning. I will second what was mentioned already... don't expect restriction with your 1st fill. Maybe not even your 2nd. I didn't feel anything until my 3rd fill when I got to 5cc (in 10cc band). And that was not restriction, just a noticeable change from nothing. If that makes sense.

Hang in there!! Stick to the diet best you can. Get protein in so you can keep the hunger monster away.

A lot will depend on your surgeon and how aggressive he is with fills.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

mary101678
on 1/13/11 9:56 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Ladies:

Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, I am eating the denser proteins now. I just had to because I was starving otherwise. It does help a lot.

I spoke to the nutrtionist and she suggested I maintain eating the snacks.One of the diet sheets I was given had NO snacks at all on it.  That has also helped quite a bit.

I knew I would be "on a diet" with the band, and I hope to use the band as a tool to help my "diet" succeed.  I am glad I had the guidance of a good nutritionist, because I was really close to going off the "wagon" so to speak.

I really appreciate all the support and empathy and thanks for all the encouragemen! I needed it!

Mary

adorkbl
on 1/13/11 10:55 am, edited 1/13/11 10:55 am
A really good snack is just a piece of string cheese. It will keep the belly from rumbling. Also, drink TONS and TONS of water. You will be surprised at how sometimes what you think is hunger... is actually thirst. Plus a belly full of water is less likely to want to fit in more.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

mary101678
on 1/14/11 1:14 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Thanks. I would love to eat string cheese, but I am soooo lactose intolerant.... I have to eat all soy products instead of dairy.
I'll see if a string cheese type product is made from soy...

Most Active