Yikes! Pre-surgery jitters!

rtptjd
on 11/24/11 7:43 pm - Atlanta, GA
OK, I'm told being nervous prior to surgery is quite normal.  If it is, let me assure you with surgery only 5 days away I am VERY normal right now!!  I know this is a good decision, and I will feel so much better this time next year.  But, any suggestions on how to calm the pre-op angst?  Any of you have any special tips/tricks to get through it?  Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Hope all of you are having a safe and joyous holiday weekend as well.  Thanks so much for all the support you've given me in beginning this journey!
ZenSharon
on 11/24/11 11:16 pm - SW Ohio
I spent a lot of time cleaning, preparing for life immediately after surgery, and spending time with family.  I had a nice dinner with friends and family.  I started a journal.  I wrote about why I was having surgery, my hopes and goals for life in general, as well as a very long list of all the things I wanted to do when I was smaller and more able to move.  I wrote long "bucket" lists of things I could not currently do because of my size that I wanted to be able to do again.   Everything from the very simple:  walk up a flight of stairs without even thinking about it (and not having to stop for a break!) to the most outrageous:  skydive (because I would no longer exceed the weight limit)!

I also took photos of myself.  They were hard to take.... very hard to see myself as large as I had become.  Have a friend help you.  I also took all of my measurements.... I put them in a book. 

Relax.  Enjoy your life.  It will all be fine!
rtptjd
on 11/25/11 1:12 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for replying!  All very good suggestions, especially the photos.  I don't like to look at myself right now either.  But, I'll keep in mind how good the "after" shots are gonna look!  Thanks for the reassurance.
ruggie
on 11/25/11 9:53 am - Sacramento, CA
Take photos now, even if you hate it - you'll be glad you did in half a year. Also keep your biggest shirt, pants, and belt to remind you and others.

It's tough when you're nervous... I just start counting the hours. Twenty hours until surgery. Ok, now only eighteen to go. Ok, I'll be going under in twelve hours, thats all the time I have to kill until I restart life. Etc.

Good luck to you! Enjoy your sleeAve

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

OneFinger
on 11/27/11 3:08 am
The idea of pictures, measurements, and a journal are wonderful suggestions. Prior to deciding on surgery, I listed all the pros and cons on a sheet of paper. As I got closer to surgery I reviewed that list and reminded myself why surgery was necessary.

I'd also echo the recommendation of doing prep work around the house prior to surgery. Clear out the "forbidden" foods. See if your docs have a list of daily meals post-op. My clinic had a day-by-day meal list. I made sure I had all those foods on hand and was ready to start my new lifestyle.

Make sure you take a button-up top to the hospital with you. Much easier than a pull-over shirt when you're ready to leave. I'd also recommend lip balm. Another thing that really helped me in the days right after surgery was Gas-X strips. They expand your stomach area with gas during surgery to make it easier for the instruments. The Gas-X stips help disipate this.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
tabbott4
on 11/25/11 11:15 pm - VA
I was very nervous, this was the first surgery for me and the first time with being put under.  I did alot of cleaning and purging the house.  I felt the same way even considered backing out but i am so thankful that i didnt i would go through it over again with out a blink, it was the best decision i ever made.  Just stay focused and think of all the good reasons you are making the journey.  You will be great.

rtptjd
on 12/4/11 10:55 pm - Atlanta, GA
Thanks all for your support & encouragement!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 376 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 949 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1326 views