Deciding goal body fat percentage?

Ithocles
on 7/14/11 3:52 am
I had my first post-surgery appointment with my surgeon yesterday and they put me on this scale with metal plates and it printed out this long list of stuff for me to obsess over now.    I've been so targeted on weight that I never really thought about body fat.  The printout says the goal is anywhere from 8% - 20%, so I put 15% in my OH health tracker.  Anyone else track this?  How do you decide what your goal is?

And by the way, my weight was 274, which is 51 pounds down!  I feel like it's melting off me.  And I don't feel like it's too good to be true...not even for a second.  I'm enjoying every second of it, and couldn't be in this good of a place without the help of you all here.

Hugs to you all...

Danny

sandy L.
on 7/14/11 2:09 pm - Altoona, PA
 Danny,

I haven't yet decided on a good goal weight for myself.  Dr's office and NUT said about 200 for my body size.  I figured my body will tell me when it's done losing.  This way I won't be upset if I don't reach a certain weight.  Never saw a scale like you described, interesting.  Congrats on 51lbs. that's  wonderful.

ruggie
on 7/14/11 5:37 pm - Sacramento, CA
I honestly think it's good enough to just ficus in thar 8-20% range. Like daily and weekly weight, your body fat will vary, and appear to vary as well. Different percentages will look different depending on your build and muscle mass. Just knowing your healthy range is enough to worry about right now! Most people will end up picking a target range that is commiserate with a healthy fat percentage

I also don't know what number fat percentage or exact body weight to pick for myself, but like art, I'll know it when I see it!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

MusicMaryn
on 7/15/11 5:00 am - San Jose, CA
Hey Danny!  Congrats on 51 lbs!  Fantastico!  I don't track body fat - just lbs and inches.
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

gman1972
on 7/19/11 10:16 pm
Really when you get down to it your body fat ratio will correlate to some degree to your final weight..
I have a scale that measures weight/body fat/ hydration. As the weight goes down generally the body fat does too and the hydration goes up..
My number was 18% and I picked it by looking at Laines...if I need to adjust I will adjust...

Hugs
G

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 376 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 949 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1326 views