Swimming for exercise?

stonerose
on 8/19/13 4:17 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Hi all,

First time here.  I started swimming back in January and had my RNY July 16, 2013.  I'm five weeks out tomorrow and was okayed to resume swimming two weeks ago.   I've been working up to where I was before which is 3 to 5 times a week lap swimming for 30-45 minutes.  I swim with hand gloves to add resistance and I'm looking into getting foot paddles to add to my legs. 

I am not doing a lot of walking because I have a bad knee, but I'm wondering how swimming works for anyone else?  I really enjoy it, and this is the longest I've been able to keep it up - or any activity for that matter.  I swam team when I was a kid (6 to 11 years old).  But I always have this nagging idea in my head that people don't lose weight swimming, or the body somehow clings to the fat because of the water, etc.  This is from some books I've read in the past. 

So, I am wondering about others' experiences.  Any of you lost with WLS and swimming?  Did you have to do weight-bearing exercises to lose?

Thanks,

Christine

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

LJ1972
on 8/19/13 11:13 am - FL

Increasing your heart rate burns calories , swimming increases your heart rate... .Voila!

As you go, I would for sure do more strength type exercises in the water. Cardio burns calories in the "now", strength builds muscle which continues to burn calories to function.

Keep on swimming swimming swimming!

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

stonerose
on 8/19/13 11:54 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

Thanks,

What types of strength type exercises do you mean?  Sometimes I do an aqua aerobics class that does some strength training, but it's kind of slow so I don't feel like I get a workout (I mean slow, like it takes so long for all the other members to listen and hear the instructions that we don't move fast).

That's why I love the aqua gloves.  I also plan to do strength at the gym on machines.

C

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

LJ1972
on 8/30/13 11:59 am - FL

Sorry.. never made it back, did I?

Well, if you want to do things in the pool you can:

get a mildly deflated ball (like the little $1-2 ones for kids, about the size of a volleyball) and use both hands to pu**** down under water, then one hand, then inflate it more.  Do the same with something larger like a beachball for your legs.  In the shallow end walk quickly creating your own resistance in the water, then jog, then run.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

MacMadame
on 8/19/13 3:18 pm - Northern, CA

When I first started swimming, my form was so bad that I was burning 600-700 calories per hour! But now it's only about 350-400. LOL

Anything that burns calories will help you lose weight.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

BrienneofTarth
on 8/20/13 3:12 am - IL
DS on 03/26/13

Swimming is my go-to exercise as well, but once you are ready in a few weeks, you may want to consider some weight training on land.  I have started working with a trainer in group sessions, and in just a few weeks, I noticed more muscle definition in the arms and legs that months (nay, years) of swimming hadn't given me.  However, I wasn't given the go-ahead for weights until 6-8 weeks out, so check with your doc if this is something that you could do.  (I also realize, some of the definition is due to the weight loss and muscles are actually able to peek through!)  

But really, the best exercise for anyone is the one that you enjoy and will do consistently.  I am lucky to have found a weight-training gym/trainers that cater specifically to people who have more than 50lbs to lose.  

Keep on swimming!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/13 3:54 pm

Hi, the idea of ‘people not lose weight while swimming’ can be false, because I have seen and experience, how swimming helps in boosting our over-all health and even in reducing weight. Swimming is great and I will always recommend to every-person living.  It has turn magic in my life; change my whole life to good and healthy. For more info I would like to share benefits of swimming http://www.medstorerx.com/general-health/why-swimming-is-bes t-for-everyone.aspx , which I found on net.

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/14 5:20 pm

Thats very helpful article...Thank You

Most Active