*** IMPORTANT QUESTION ***

CarlyFJM
on 7/23/12 11:48 pm - WESTLAKE, OH
VSG on 05/18/12

Hey everyone!

One thing I've noticed from reading many posts on these message boards is the variation between different programs and their rules.  It seems like every doctor/nutritionist has their own unique set of guidelines!  But of course, there are similarities, and that's what I'm trying to discern.

Specifically, I'm interested in post-op diet tracking.  What are your instructions as far as protein intake, fluid amounts, other nutrients to track, etc.?

Here's why I'm asking: I'm working on creating a special food journal for bariatric patients that they can use to track their diets.  I made one for myself, and it has been very beneficial, but I want to help others with this tool.  And in order for this tracker to work for everyone, I need to come up with a general idea of post-op requirements.

So, please take a moment and answer these questions.  I'm just looking for a brief summary of what your doctor & nutritionist have advised.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

(1) How much protein should you consume per day?
(2) How many fluid ounces should you consume per day?
(3) What other factors are you supposed to track?  (Such as calories, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, etc.)
(4) Of those other factors, what amounts should you be consuming per day?
(5) What are your exercise guidelines?
(6) What vitamins & supplements should you be taking?
(7) Are there any other things you have been advised to track?
(8) What would you like to see in a diet tracker?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Cheers,
Carly F.J.M.

Kim S.
on 7/25/12 1:23 am - Helena, AL
I use Myfitnesspal and it works just fine.

The issues you will face is that many of these questions are answered very differently at early post op, later post op and maintenance.

LilAllen80
on 8/11/12 8:59 am
Hi, 

You have asked some very good questions, I will try to answer those that I can and hope it helps you

(1) How much protein should you consume per day?      80g of protein  (2) How many fluid ounces should you consume per day?    64+ oz  (remember the shakes count in your totals also especially in those first few months) (3) What other factors are you supposed to track?  (Such as calories, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, etc.)  7 grams of sugar and carbs per meal if possible , keep below 800-900 calories per day for the losing stage, then up it to 1000-1200 in maintenance stage) (4) Of those other factors, what amounts should you be consuming per day? see above (5) What are your exercise guidelines? 30 mins of exercise at least 4 times per week (6) What vitamins & supplements should you be taking?  Multivitamins, B12, calcium with D3 and then iron 3 hours after taking calcium (the two cancel out each other if taken at same time) (7) Are there any other things you have been advised to track?  not really  (8) What would you like to see in a diet tracker?

Hope my answers help you a little. 

Take care and keep losing :)

Most Active