half marathon for the beginner.....questions

timetoloveme62
on 4/30/12 10:46 am - VA
 I had RNY in Dec of 2011 and have lost 70 plus pounds and stalling now....so I am thinking of kicking up my exercise routine.  I was thinking I might register for a half marathon coming up this Oct and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or thoughts about it.  I know I may not be able to run it, or not all of it but I thought it might give me something to work for, strive for.  I am actually excited about it, do you think I am pushing it, excerise bores me but the thought of doing this and training for this excites me....

Any thoughts welcome..

Melanie.
acbbrown
on 4/30/12 1:14 pm, edited 4/30/12 1:15 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Ive just recently committed to a 1/2 in October! 

If you aren't running now, you could always start with the Couch to 5K program - it's a good starting place to build a base to work up from. Just make sure you have some kind of plan and stick to it - I tried to "wing it" and didn't end up anywhere at all. Now that I have a plan, I feel much more comfortable and excited about training for a 1/2.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

timetoloveme62
on 4/30/12 7:31 pm - VA
 Thank you...very good advice.
Paul C.
on 5/1/12 3:03 am - Cumming, GA
 First of all don't doubt your abilities by saying you can't run all of it, because you might find yourself pushing to do just that. All you can do is train to do your best.

I would find a training program that has you doing 3 runs a week, like the C25K program previously suggested, which will help get you started.  Once you have the 5K distance it is simply a matter of building your milage.

Last year when I trained for my first half I would do 4-6 miles twice a week and then Saturday mornings were my long runs.  You can do them 1 of 2 ways run for a specified time or go a specified distance.  I would mix them up and towards the end was doing an avg 12 mile run on Saturdays which I loved!

Somethings to watch out for are
Get good running shoes. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted.
Get some decent clothes to run in Cotton will kill ya!
Hydration will play a key in your ability to progress especially moving into the summer months.
Nutrition as you increase your distance and time you need to have a nutrition plan in place.
And most of all Have Fun with it!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active