Working out and no results

Reddheadd7
on 2/22/12 4:15 am - CA
I had my Roux en Y last July and basically I've only lost 39 lb since surgery beside the fact that I haven't lost anything since November. I lost 38 lbs pre surgery. Even when I look at my measurements and haven't lost any inches maybe a half inch in a couple places but nothing really. I've been working out this whole time.

I punched it up a bit Jan 1, weight lifting, cardio to see if I could break this plateau, if that's what it is, nothing. Nothing!!!! My scale measures bodyfat %...still no change. So for those of you who might say I'm gaining muscle, well if I weigh the same then I should be losing fat but I'm NOT! So I started a new workout plan this week. I got it from bodybuilding.com, Jamie Eason's 12 week program to see if that works. I eat 1500-1700 calories a day and actually I was eating 1200 until about 3 weeks ago so I bumped it up. I average 115 grams of protein a day, 8-9 cups of water a day, carbs avg 150. I'm taking Pro-Sculpt pre workout drink mix to help with thermogenisis. I use glutamine in my protein shake post workout plus my shake mix has BCAA's and glutamine already. My diet usually looks like this:

Breakfast: Chobani greek yogurt or oatmeal and 1 morningstar farms veggie sausage patty or egg whites
mid-morning: Pure protein bar
Lunch: chicken with 1/4 avocado and either a carb or veggie
pre workout drink (with 10-12 oz water)
workout
post workout protein shake (made with water)
Dinner: lean protein, veggie, carb

Bottom line - I'm not sure what to do. I've been working my booty off and I haven't seen any results.

superconducting
on 2/22/12 6:44 am - Montgomery, NY
 The results will definitely come, especially if you are focusing on increasing the challeneges each workout (lifting heavier, running faster and longer etc).  

Everyone is different for sure, but I can tell you my body simply loves carbs.  I was training for an ironman, burning 3 or 4 thousand calories a day, and was still gaining weight when I increased my carbs.  If I want to lose weight, I have found I simply have to not only get the net deficit in calories, but I have to cut the carbs out.  Most of my carbs come from greek yogurt, veggies and occasionally whole grains, but it doesn't matter, I gain or maintain.  Soon as I cut down to bare minimums, like the cream in my coffee, and maybe a serving of broccoli, the pounds shed quickly, even if my net calories don't change from before.  I don't understand the science of it, surely I have researched enough, I just know from my own experience.

Hope this helps, keep in mind I am a lapbander, so things are different for me in that way too.

acbbrown
on 2/22/12 7:21 am - Granada Hills, CA
What are your goals?

If you want to lose weight, you will need to cut back your intake. I dont know too many people that can lose weight on 1500-1700 cal/diet unless you are burning a lot at the gym.

If you arent' worried about weight loss and want to build muscle, then you will need to up your weight lifting and protein.

Have you tried changing up your workouts?  When you say you've been doing cardio - what does that mean? Walking, running, spinning, etc? You can shake it up with interval training, or HIIT - see if that has any impact on  your weight loss.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Reddheadd7
on 2/22/12 7:28 am - CA
Because I had GB I expected to lose a lot more weight by now. So yes having surgery my goal is to lose weight. :) I was eating 1200 calories with no change so I figured maybe I wasn't eating enough that's why I bumped it to 1500. I'm 5'6", 196. something and 39 yrs old. I've gone to several websites that have a calorie calculator and according to it I should be eating about 1500 a day.

My cardio was usually eliptical interval for 35 min burning around 320 calories plus 30-40 min of weights, usually not on the same day. The new program I'm following has NO cardio for 4 weeks, only weights then cardio will start after that. I'm only on day 3 but 6 weeks of the other program I thought I'd see body fat go down or something! sigh...
Seht
on 2/22/12 7:58 am
Those calorie calculators are not acurate.
If I eat what those calculators suggest I should eat, I gain weight.
I'm 6'1" and I need to keep my calorie range in the 1200-1500 range or I start gaining weight.
If I work out a lot I can up those calories.  For me that means more running and more cycling.  I just don't get the same weight loss with strength training as I do with aerobic exercises.

The calorie counter on many of the workout machines are not acurate either.  They are more acurate if you are connected to a heart rate monitor and if that device uses heart rate in it's calcualtion.  Many of them don't.

Basically what I'm saying from my experience is that some times you aren't working out as hard as everything is telling you that you are.  What is your percieved rate of exertion.  Are you dripping sweat and have nothing left to give when you are done, or did it seem easy and you feel like you could have done more.  Not saying that is the case with you, I just know I have experienced this.  I have had workouts that I cruised through and the machine said I burned 600 calories.  I know that was not accurate.

That and documenting food.  Every BLT (Bite, Lick, Taste)
Don't get discouraged, if you keep working out as hard and dilligently as you have said, then you will see results.

Good luck with the new workout program.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Reddheadd7
on 2/22/12 8:12 am - CA
I know it's a hit and miss with the calculators but before surgery i lost 38 lbs by eating 1400 cal and exercise was walking the dog 3-4 days a week, that's it. I'm doing way more now 5-6 days a week and burning a hell of a lot more calories so it's not making sense. I added weights cuz I don't wanna look like a melted candle nekkid. :)

I use myfitnesspal app  to journal food and exercise and perhaps dont record BLT but didn't before and weight loss was dropping pretty nicely. It took me about 3 months after surgery to get above 1000 calories, then I was at 1200 a good 3 months with no weight loss before I upped it again. I'll try anything to get my body moving in the right direction I just can't figure it out.
Seht
on 2/22/12 8:54 am
You are also lighter now,

The exercise won't burn as many calories and you won't need as many calories to maintain.

You are doing great work.  Keep it up.  It's a trial and error thing.
When I stall it usually takes a big shakeup.  Like a major increase or change in my workout.
I add more frequent or longer runs.  Did that for a week and it was guaranteed to break my stalls.

Don't lose heart, you can do it.

Also if you really want to know your metabolic rate, there are places where you can be tested and it will tell you exactly how many calories you need.

I know that Kaiser Sacramento does it and there are some private companies that do it was well.
You an also get a dunk test done and that will tell you your fat content and lean mass as well.

Here are some examples
http://www.fitnesswave.com/portal/portal/getdunked/services/ restingmetabolic

http://www.fitnesswave.com/portal/portal/getdunked/services/ underwater;jsessionid=9C66D7FEE6AC3BE8666A32F9D75153BB.node1

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

cabin111
on 2/22/12 8:28 am
Like others have said it could be the exercise level.  It could also be the carbs.  If they are simple carbs, they can be the downfall.  If they are complex carbs it should not be a problem.  If I were you I would drop the carbs and keep everything the same.  The weightloss is more important that the muscle tone/endurance right now.  As you get toward goal the harder exercise should come...But working strongly on the weightloss now (golden opportunity) is something you need to take advantage of before the honeymoon period is over...Just my thoughts for what it's worth.  Brian
Reddheadd7
on 2/22/12 8:34 am - CA
ok so how do I figure out my target carb/day?
cabin111
on 2/23/12 1:40 am
I don't have an answer for you.  I just don't know.  But I do know simple carbs stop the weighloss in it's tracks.  While complex carbs take longer for the body to absorb (even with RNY).  The body turns all carbs into sugar for energy...What is not used is stored in the body as glycogen which then is stored (throught the liver if not used) in the fat cells.  That is why the Atkins Diet (little or no carbs...High protein) works...Not saying to go Atkins...You need more vegetables and some fruit. 
Just saying your carbs need to come from whole grains and vegetables...with small amounts of fruit...Nothing white and processed...
You're doing great with the exercise.  Good luck on your journey...
Most Active