Run with the Jets Half Marathon Report (My 20th Half)

Brian W.
on 11/10/11 11:33 am - Belmont, CA
 This past Sunday I ran the Run with the Jets Half Marathon, the first year of this race.  Tallying up all the Halfs I've done since 2008, I realized it was my 20th Half.  A nice milestone I think.  Not bad for a guy who used to weigh 585 lbs.

Coming into this race, I wasn't expecting a PR, I would be happy with a time similar to Morgan Hill just 2 weeks earlier (2:19:09).  I've also been running the last month or so w/o my GPS watch since the battery has failed and will no longer charge.

This was a pretty small race, held at Coyote Point in San Mateo.  About 1000 runners total. The course was a simple out and back among the SF Bay Trail.  I know this course like the back of my hand since I run it pretty much every weekend.

Weather was crisp and cool, it also rained overnight, but the storm cleared out well before race time.  Perfect race weather.

There were no pace groups, no clocks (it was chip timed though), it was just me and my pace.  I started out fairly slow, but soon settled into a nice zone.  Had a little trouble with my water belt at mile 3, but after that, no issues.  As I was nearing the turn around, the sun had really come out and started to beat down, I could feel my body temp rising.  Luckily, that was negated on the way back by a head wind I'm all too familiar with coming off the SF Bay (about 15 MPH).

Since there no clocks anywhere, I had no idea of my pace, time and it was a liberating feeling.  I was running just to run, not to race.  I neared the finish line, pumped up a bit by the crowd and crossed the finish line, got my medal, snacks and headed home to watch the Niners game.  No idea of my time (no clock even at the finish).

Later that night, I check the website for my time and I thought I must have been seeing things.  It listed my time as 2:10:18, which not only a PR, but a PR by almost 4 minutes! I was truly blown away.  I didn't feel that fast nor was I that taxed after that race.

I've long had a goal of averaging under 10 min/mile for a Half and finally got it (9:56 average). Now I can dare dream of going under 2:10 and challenge that magic mark of 2 hours.  For a guy of my size and build, that'll be tough haha.

I have one more race left this year, the Walnut Creek Half on Dec 11th, which is 2 days before my 9th surgiversary.

Brian
~350

Scott William
on 11/10/11 8:17 pm
When you mention it's the 20th I thought to myself, that's cool but when I remember that you were nearly 600 lbs it puts it in new perspective. Wow - that's awesome! Congrats!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Hawgman
on 11/10/11 9:32 pm - TX
Brian,
Great day! New PR, 20 halves, and the Niners won!
You are a star!!
Paul C.
on 11/10/11 10:53 pm - Cumming, GA
Awesome job on a major accomplishment. Also congrats on 9 years of a new life!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Seht
on 11/10/11 11:20 pm
Congrats Brian.

That's a great accomplishment, keep up the good work.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

mcarthur01
on 11/11/11 4:39 am - Cumming, GA
awesome awesome awesome!  congrats Brian for the PR, your 20th, and doing it comfortably.  I've had some of my best results when my watch was dead, you are spot on, it can be very liberating running without it.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Brian W.
on 11/12/11 6:46 am - Belmont, CA
 yea i don't think i'll run w/ a watch ever again after this!  Once I get my new iphone, I'll put Runkeeper on it, but I won't look at it during the run

Brian
Rob S.
on 11/11/11 6:06 am - DE
Great job and way to represent.

Rob  

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 2:38 am
DUDE!  I know it is too often said but still...deal with it...YOU DA MAN!  Great story, long term success...that is what is all about.  
Most Active