Exercise and Metabolism

tyvette007
on 9/27/11 3:20 am
I also posted in the RNY Forum. I was directed here. Happy I found this Forum!!!

I am 4 Months out and have lost about 75 pounds. I exercised before surgery and I am still exercising 4-5 days a week for at least 1-1 1/2 hrs per day.
I have noticed that my appetite has increased. It seems as I am hungry all the time.

Is it because of the exercise or is it all in my head??
Can your metabolism change after weight loss and exercise???
I have been told I exercise too much!!!!
How do you handle this. Do you eat more protein, have protein shakes????

Seht
on 9/27/11 4:41 am
First of all, Congrats!

Yes exercise will increase your hunger, You will find that it happens even more when you increase your workouts.

No you don't exercise too much.  Unless the rest of your life is sacrificing. 

It depends on how long or intense my workout is.  I find that eating something 1-2 hours before my workout and then something after helps.  It also aids in recovery.

But be careful, because if your workouts diminish or you get hurt or for whatever reason you aren't working out, you have to stop those extra calories.

I'm not a big fan of the protein shakes because they do nothing to satify my hunger, but that's me.  It may be different for you. 

After your workout you want a carb:protein in a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio I generally only eat after the workout if it extends longer than 1 hour of serious workout like a long run or ride or weight lifting.  If it's just a 1/2 hour run or something like that, your body has enough energy stores to take care of that.  Over an hour and you start to consider replacing some of those calories.

This is what works for me, it may vary for you.  You will find lots of info on the web about eating before and after, but most if not all of it is geared towards non altered athletes.  What they profess for them may not work or may be detrimental to us.  So take everything with a grain of salt.

If you have access to your Nutritionalist or a sports nutritionalist they can help you work through and develop a plan that will help you maintain your goals and be successful with your weight loss and exercise.

If you don't have access to a Nutritionalist you can check this group out http://www.bariathletes.com/ some of their stuff is free, some of it (most of it) is fee based.

Remember try things with caution, try them at home first then out on a short workout then on the full thing.  Make sure you don't get sick or dump or any of the other nasty things that can happen to us when we put some foods into our bodies.  It sucks to be out on a run/walk/hike/bike and have to look for a restroom, because the new super energy drink you are trying has decided to turn your pouch and intestines inside out.

It may also depend on how much you eat.  I can do the gels, and jelly beans and all the other new gimmicky energy replacement things.  But the quantity and frequency changes from one brand to another.  It's going to be a trial and error thing for you. 

Good luck and welcome to the Exercise board.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 9/28/11 6:23 am - Northern, CA
As I increased my exercise level, my surgeon had me up my protein and that worked quite well for me.

And 4-5 days of 1-1.5 hours of exercise is about right for being  healthy. People think it's "too much" because they are doing too little!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active