New to using Weights...Can some one offer advice

mym22988
on 5/29/11 10:11 am - NC
I am getting ready to start lifting weights and doing legs presses and stuf. Can anyone advise how much weigh should I use and how many reps ? This is for arms and legs. Thanks
SiennaSun
on 5/29/11 10:29 am - CO
Well, this is second-hand advice but I'll tell you what I do.  My friend is a PE teacher and she said the mistake most people make is trying to lift too much weight. It's much smarter to do more reps at a lower weight to build muscle. I was told it shouldn't hurt. Just to lift as much as feels comfortable and if I can lift over 20 then I probably could handle a higher weight. Again, someone smarter should weigh (ha, ha) in and give professional advice. I'm just a newbie but after a year I have some rock hard muscle and no injuries. Maybe I could have done more or better though. This is just what worked for me.

crystal M.
on 5/29/11 3:55 pm - Joliet, IL
What you want to do is find a weight that is a struggle but NOT a strain.  You don't want to injure yourself.  What I do is 3 sets of 15 reps.  You know you did it right if you walk away with your muscles feeling fatigued ( I always say they feel like noodles) but NOT in pain.  Now when you first start your muscles may get sore a day or two after your workouts.   

Women who want to tone do lower weight and more reps.

Men who want to bulk up do as much weight as they can handle and less reps.  That's why they are grunting and groaning when they are lifting weight.  

You will be able to lift a lot more weight with your lower body than your upper body.  So don't strain yourself trying to lift the same on your upper body than your lower.   
fatfreemama
on 5/30/11 5:16 am - San Jose, CA
  I got the book "Women's Home Workout Bible" by Brad Schoenfeld.  It has really good instructions and pictures on getting started with weight training and different exercises to do.

Jan

Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Koko10
on 5/30/11 9:24 am - NC

I have a book that someone advised me to purchase on this site. It's called the Body Sculpting Bible for Women. It's pretty good. I have identified the things that I can do and I do them as instructed in the book. Dumbbell Lunges for my legs to begin with I do 15-20 reps, 2 sets. Then I go on and do things for the rest of my body as suggested. I do this for a couple weeks then I switch to the other exercises. Let me know if you are interested in reviewing the book.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Most Active