Recent Posts

Hislady
on 4/11/16 9:17 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: 12 Years Out from Gastric Bypass and Diagnosed 4 years with Fibromyalgia

It is a frustrating disease because you can't test for it so it is a process of elimination and even then they are never sure they just have to guess. I loved my electric blanket because it was like a giant body sized heating pad!! I use a Fentayl patch and oxycodone 4x a day. That pretty much takes the pain down to where I can handle it but I also have several other pain issues so it treats them all at once.

Felicity Q.
on 4/9/16 4:38 pm, edited 4/9/16 4:45 pm
DS on 09/28/15
Topic: Newly Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

Hi all,

I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about a month ago. It took a lot of complaining to my PCP about pain then I finally specifically asked if it could be fibro. My PCP referred me to a Rheumatologist who prescribed me 75mg Lyrica. After a month she upped my dosage to 100mg Lyrica.

I'm at the point now where I am taking the Lyrica, but don't really feel any relief.  I'm also on Cymbalta and Klonopin, prescribed by my psych who mentioned it should also help with the brain's pain receptors.

I'm posting here now because I am at a loss as to how to communicate with any of my doctors that their expensive Rx's aren't helping. I did experience some temporary body pain relief after having some dental work done when the dentist prescribed T3's.

For some background on me, I had a lap-band in 2011, revision to DS 6 months ago. Total weight loss is approx 120lb from my highest weight; 50lb from my DS surgery weight.  Doing regular housework (like vacuuming and standing long amounts of time for the kitchen/dishes) makes it REALLY hard to function the next day. I am trying to push myself and take a 1.3 mile walk 5 days/week. I have also tried stretching, going to the chiropractor (OUCH, so painful), and even a massage (which provided temporary relief the first day, but 3 days after was in intense pain).

Any advice?

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

KatBear12
on 4/6/16 6:15 am
Topic: RE: 12 Years Out from Gastric Bypass and Diagnosed 4 years with Fibromyalgia

You are my Twin!  I have been going to a pain clinic for 4 years. Maxed out on pain meds they can give me.  Always looking for a solution. Blood tests all normal. Makes no sense thank you for your caring post !!

Hislady
on 4/5/16 6:04 pm - Vancouver, WA

Several people on this forum have said their fibro started after their surgeries, not just bypass but any of them. Any kind of trauma to the body can trigger fibro and surgery certainly is a stress to the body so can trigger fibro. Try reading about SIBO like HALA said and it may help with the inflammation that makes the fibro pain worse. I know for myself narcotic pain meds are all that have truly helped with my pain but not all docs believe in them so you may have to hunt for one who will give them to you. I have been at the same low dose for many years,it is just enough to take the worst away and make it tolerable. It is never totally gone but this makes it so I can at least get around some what better. There is only so much we can do about it and getting used to living with the pain is part of the disease, we may never be pain free at best we can hope for pain tolerable! Best of luck to you and don't hesitate to ask any more questions you may have.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/5/16 2:37 pm

You may want to google SIBO ... plus there may be other issues...

I don't chat... pm me if you have any question.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

KatBear12
on 4/5/16 11:34 am
Topic: RE: Self Diagnosis!! I am so sure

Please do tell more about this.... you poted.. Fibromyalgia may be caused by SIBO - small intestine bacterial overgrowth.

KatBear12
on 4/5/16 11:32 am
Topic: 12 Years Out from Gastric Bypass and Diagnosed 4 years with Fibromyalgia

12 Years Out from Gastric Bypass and Diagnosed 4 years with Fibromyalgia .... as the title states.... Are there any research studies out there about the operation and fibro? Been going to a pain clinic for 4 years and they cannot up the pain meds anymore... Tried all the arthritis med, you name it.. I have tried and failed at it...... What have they done to us? The pain is real.. the Non Absorption of meds  is REAL!!!  Frustrated!!!!

Hislady
on 3/20/16 6:40 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Gluten free and Fibromyalgia

I've not heard anything about gluten free helping but there is an anti inflammatory diet that may help. Personally I haven't found any diet to help my fibro. I take Cymbalta and neurontin for the fibro. I also take oxycodone for arthritis which of course helps my fibro too. It is something you just basically have to learn to live with unless you can get stronger narcotic drugs. Some docs will give them with no problem others won't give them for any reason. Losing weight helps some but not everyone. It is a very individualized disease and hits eveyone differently. I wish you the best of luck!

tjsterch
on 3/17/16 5:30 pm
Revision on 04/18/16
Topic: Gluten free and Fibromyalgia

Hi I am new to the site (actually joined because of a surgery I am about to have for something else) BUT I was wondering if anyone has tried a Gluten Free diet that has Fibromyalgia? I got this idea today when I overheard Dr. Oz's guest talking about gluten free and how it helping people that have been suffering with joint pain as well as fibromyalgia. I have tried about every medication available for my FMS. Exercise and stretch. I have tracked it in order to see if I can pinpoint what makes it better or worse (only pinpoint I have come up with is stress makes it worse) but sometimes it comes on with no reason. I would love to get this under control! I have had FMS since 2007.

TJSterch 5'7 SW 284 lbs CW 210 lbs

Per month: 1st -24, 2nd -11, 3rd - 9, 4th -  8, 5th - 8, 6th - 4, 7th -2, 8th -7

Tammi H.
on 3/8/16 1:47 am
Topic: RE: Recently diagnosed. HELP PLEASE Exercises and Revision...

Tia chi is also something that my arthritis dr told me to do for my fibro. Haven't tried it, I HAVE POOR balance. And didn't have the room to do it in my old place. But getting married, and moving I am going to try doing the Tia or Tai Chi here at home and yoga at the ymca. I have a service dog, and the Y is/has to allow her to join me in some/most areas that is possible. I believe she sill lay right next to me while I do my yoga, I can hook her to my waste, keep her from roaming, yes once in awhile she thinks she can get away with that. But that seems to be the best thing for me. I am starting to work on some of the yoga ground stretches. So any ways. Tia/Tai Chi is also something to consider

.Starr my Shih Tzu service dog. her face trimming is needing attention in this photo, but as her groomer, it has to grow out some so it can be clipped.

Most Active
Recent Topics