Chronic fatigue syndrome and not getting enough to eat...help? X-Post

Missy A.
on 9/13/12 12:20 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
I need help! I am a chronic fatigue sufferer and seem to be having a hard time with it since surgery and then having to go out of state and care for my mom for four days. I'm so exhausted and can't seem to get up to eat. I'm barely getting enough protein and fluids in, but am afraid that barely isn't cutting it. I'm still only getting about 450-550 calories at 4 weeks post-op. I haven't been to the gym since week 2 and I'm afraid that I'm ruling this tool I have, by not working out and sleeping too much. What do I do? Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts are greatly appreciated.  

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Megan K.
on 9/14/12 7:32 am
RNY on 02/18/13

As for the food part, take it to bed.  Nibble on something (within the allowed foods list) whenever your awake.  I don't have CFS, just Fibro but I don't allow myself to stay in bed (okay so it's my husband that does the hard work of getting my butt out of bed), but once I'm up away from my bed, even if I'm exhausted I can usually stay away (may not be productive, but I'm awake). 

You may have to find your "tough" and push yourself as far as you'll go.  I'm not sure what else there is.  I've always tried to live by the do what you gotta do no matter what...granted I'm not nearly as successful as I wish I was but sometimes the can-so attitude is just what you need.

Terrie W.
on 5/20/14 3:40 am - Iuka, Ms

I have Fibro/CFS . You need to keep protein drinks and bars everywhere. In you car, purse, whatever it takes. The protein will give you some energy and calories. You can't continue without it. Someone will be taking care of you. You HAVE to do this. It's easy to do thus. Get you a little cooler and don't ever be without your protein drinks! I am 13 yrs out. I have kept my weight off. I try to walk 3 mikes daily but some days I just can't. And that's ok. I wish you well, please get a grip on this.

Hislady
on 9/14/12 2:15 pm - Vancouver, WA
You need to learn to say no, nicely but no none the less. I can't even imagine going out of state and taking care of someone else this soon after major surgery! It's no wonder you are tired and exhausted, sometimes when you have CF you have to just say no, I know it was your mom and all but seriously you've had your insides rerouted and are living on next to no calories you are still in recovery and need to be concentrating on yourself and rebuilding your strength. I would suggest you take it easy for a week or two and concentrae on you, it's perfectly OK to concentrate on just you. With CF you have to pace your life, when you are tired rest, when you have a good day get things done but don't go all out or you'll pay for it the next day. I would suggest you get on the internet and really study up on the disease. That way you can see how to deal with it and maybe even join an online support group. If you don't take care of yourself no one else will! Good luck to you, hopefully you'll start feeling better when you catch up with some rest.
kellyc123
on 12/12/12 1:56 pm

Hey Missy, sorry to hear about your troubles.  My fibro kicked into high gear in Dec of 2010 when my twins were eighteen months old, but thinking back i can see earlier signs for years.  Anyway,  I had RNY in 2005 and within a couple years I stopped most of my protein and mega vitamins and I am wondering if that awakened the beast of FMS.  My body was incapable of surviving on piddly amounts of vitamins and nutrients the malabsorption issue brought on.  As far as your sleepiness, I began taking Nuvigil 500 mg/day and i was no longer falling asleep holding my children (within an hour of waking as was my case).  I was able to function again, but after a particularly nasty stomach bug in March I was nauseous or vomiting every day and I realized it was the taste of my Nuvigil.  Only after I did a bit of research on it did i find many FMS sufferers have nausea/vomiting with some meds - the solution - for me at least was an antihistimine.  I know it sounds crazy but i spoke to the pharmacist about it and he knew exactly the one I would need for that med - it was the off brand for benadryl.  I take it every day with my morning meds and no more nausea/vomiting.    One other trick to helping your caloric intake is juicing.  it may not appeal to you but you can make these quite lovely without being bad.  Carrots are a lovely healthy sweet additive to any juice recipe.  So what it does is allow your body to get the nutrients and vitamins its needing but without taxing your body.  Your body can focus on healing instead of exerting all that energy on digestion.  This is new for me but it is wonderful and i recommend organic everything.  something else i am learning about FMS is that some people have a lower resistance to the toxins of this world and I think that is what has "created" FMS.   Well, I hope this helped you, God bless and take care - Kelly

Most Active
Recent Topics