30 mg Cymbalta before bedtime?

mermaidoz
on 8/15/12 7:54 pm - Canada
My GP gave me 2 boxes of 7 tablets each 30 mg Cymbalta to try for 2 weeks: 1 tablet at bedtime for my aches and pains, not all fibromyalgia as I also have osteo-arthritis...

I am worried as yet again it is an anti-depressant just like the Amytriptiline she prescribed for me several years ago at bedtime, and I was in a fog until 11 am the next morning,, did F**k all for my pain, but felt lobotomized,  I toughed it out  for a year as she said nothing else available for fibro pain...

The fog would only lift just before lunchtime, and I need my wits about me for my job, so stopped taking her Amytriptilene and have been without any meds since...Osteoarthritis   and lack of sleep has been handled with Flexoryl  ( muscle relaxant) at bedtime, makes me sleep deeper, but since I no longer toss and turn, except minimally, I wake up refreshed, but in greater stiffness and pain as haven't been moving in my sleep! ( or waking up, turning, and falling asleep again, not exactly sleep apnea, but pain induced wakefulness before sleeping again. happens as much as 5-6 times a night including one geriatric pee at about 3 am which makes me stretch my legs..)...

What are people's experiences with Cymbalta?  I also like a glass or two of wine if I don't work the next day ( for relaxation and pain killing) as I am semi-retired and work is a feast/famine scenario so sometimes I enjoy a few glasses and other nights none at all as have to work next day...seems Cymbalta causes some horror stories for people who drink, and if you are WLSurgeried, wonder what your experience is with Cymbalta in general  and if possible what was you reaction after a few glasses of wine...as there are a lot of horror stories out there even for non-wine drinkers!

Thanks!

Hislady
on 8/27/12 3:52 pm - Vancouver, WA
Well I don't drink so can't answer to that, I used to and it seemed to make my fibro worse. I've taken cymbalta for several years and haven't had any issues. The first few days I was a little speedy feeling but it went away. Never had any of the horror stories I've read about. I think those tend to happen more often when used on people with severe mental health issues, but it has to be listed as a side effect. I was also told to taper up my dosage for a few days, but that my not apply with your surgery. It has helped my pain tho. Maybe try it when you have a famine stretch so you don't have to go to work amd can see how it works.
mermaidoz
on 8/27/12 4:00 pm - Canada
Thanks for posting, I still haven't started it as have a busy schedule what with freelance work this week followed by travel to Europe, getting back mid-September...Have a quiet patch then, so will try it and see what happens..

I will also be drinking wine while in Europe as going for a reunion with friends and several parties scheduled  and restaurant evenings, so need to enjoy the fun without  being worried about interactions with any meds...Not that I intend getting blind falling down drunk, just a couple of social glasses a day, which may be too much if on meds, even Tylenol which doesn't mix with alcohol in any amount!...
CindyKae64
on 8/30/12 1:53 pm
RNY on 05/22/12
My pcp gave it to me for fibro and found out I am allergic to it.

It will hurt. It will take time. It will require dedication. It will require willpower. It requires sacrifice. There will be temptation. But, I promise you, when you reach your goal, it's WORTH IT! (Author Unknown). I feel this sums up my ongoing journey to a healthier me!

mermaidoz
on 8/30/12 2:04 pm - Canada
Thanks for the warning re allergy! How did the allergy manifest itself?

I haven't started to take my freebie  2 week supply yet as have had work last and  this week and am travelling to Europe for a longish week as of next week, and decided will start trial on Cymbalta when back home in case of unwanted reactions...Intend to drink wine and enjoy life with my friends in Europe so didn't think my trip was the right time to be on a new medication...
Celie
on 8/31/12 10:57 pm - CA
 I was told to take one dose in the morning and one in the evening, but couldn't sleep when I took it at night and only one dose in the morning didn't help at all. 

My doc then suggested I take both in the more.  I've been on it for several months now.  It did take the edge off of my pain for a while, but I'm still suffering.  I do notice its much worse if I try to go without it though, so it is helping a bit. 

mermaidoz
on 9/1/12 7:08 am - Canada
Thank you, so you take your double dose in the morning, not at night to get you to sleep, interesting!  I have broken sleep from my chronic pain and the whole idea according to my doctor is to get better sleep which is why she suggested taking it at night..I guess it really does affect people differently.
Celie
on 9/1/12 10:38 am - CA
My doc mentioned that Cymbalta does keep some awake.  Not in an energy boost kind of way either while that would be wonderful if it did LOL. 

I was tired, but couldn't sleep, it was weird.  I would think if its point is to block the pain, its going to block it around the clock once you get it into your system.  It honestly took me about 2 weeks before I felt a little better.  

I'm still missing my back pain meds since I can't take them after surgery, but as I said, I know its helping a bit. 

sunnyinseattle1
on 9/15/12 9:05 pm
 Hello. I started taking the losest dose of Cymbalta on 9/1 in the morning. I havent seen any difference. I also take Nortriptalyne at bed for fibro pain at night. I feel the Nortriptalyne helps me more. I am going to let my PCP now, and see if the dose can be up'd... I have a young son, so i cant be in a fog. 

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200
*Hope to become a Parent after loss, either by natural or adoption.*

mermaidoz
on 9/16/12 6:14 am - Canada
Thanks for this, I am starting my trial with the 2 weeks supply, so far haven't noticed any improvement  but people say in posts above it can take a while to work...
Most Active
Recent Topics