hips killing me

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/12 8:19 am
 I have had fibromyalgia for several years now. My WLS was Nov 21, 2011. I have been doing pretty good, and trying to exercise and walk as much as possible. 

The last two weeks, my hips have been in the most awful pain. I went to my primary care doctor and he said it was just because I have been walking. But it is very much like the fibro pain, but I have never had my hips hurt before. 

Any advice, would you say fibro or walking causing this?

Thanks so much
Hislady
on 2/22/12 11:26 am - Vancouver, WA
Actually it's most likely both, because you have fibro your hips hurt from walking. It's an issues we all have and the very nature of fibro. Fibro can be in limited areas or spread to other areas. I was laid up for about 6 mos. between last Aug and a few weeks ago with foot surgeries, so of course I had little pain because I wasn't moving much. But NOW oh my goodness the pain everytime I try to walk now is horrid, pain in the hips, legs and feet. It's gonna take a lot of slow and easy exercise to even remotely get back to before surgery. I never had pain in my arms in all the years I've had fibro(20+) but recently they are hurting as well, so I guess it's all part of the fibro fun! Try cutting back a little on the walking for awhile and maybe do more gentle strectching afterwards so the muscles don't get so tight. You might also check with a rheumatologist or pain clinic about the pain and see if they have any other ideas, PCP's aren't always the best to deal with the fibro issue. Good luyck and if you have more questions feel free to ask.
misty Y.
on 2/22/12 12:36 pm - CA
I cannot relate to the fibromyalgia but I can relate to the hip pain!! Lately mine have been hurting!!! I figured its from walking, too and I'm really bad at stretching before and after   So I've been working on getting better at stretching....but just started getting better so I can't tell yet if its going to help.  Good luck!! I hope it gets better and you don't have to stop walking!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/22/12 8:30 pm
 I have had fibromyalgia pain mostly in my arms, just recently has it started hurting in my hips, that is way I was concerned. It is some of the most horrific pain I have ever had, it just seems like so much more than just a walking pain.  I will give my pain doctor a call today and see what he might suggest. 

Thanks so much

Valerie S.
on 2/24/12 9:20 am - CA
I also have fibro and experience a lot of hip pain. I pretty much think every pain I have is from the fibro. Sad and frustrating.

Kathleen T.
on 2/25/12 8:21 pm
I've had fibro for over 25 year and even with the surgery I had problem walking or execising after the surgery I'm bless to have lost the 70lb that I did. My frib is all over the body you see the man on the chart in the office with all the spots on him. That's really me it the shoulder,back,neck
the hips knees the muscles in the calf of my legs etc.
Kathleen T
dianeg49
on 2/26/12 12:36 pm
My fibro pain is all over. Put the change of weather sends me into a tizzie of pain. I have had increased pain from my walking,my knee caps. But I also know it will flare and go , flare and go , so I try to keep walking. It does mostly make me feel better.
Dianeg49            
loretta cowels
on 2/26/12 8:38 pm - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
my fibro started in my hips like were your leg comes together with your upper body   on a bad day i cant climb into a car its awful
Cherokeesage
on 6/4/12 3:39 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I learned to cope with FMS and arthritis using Tramadol every 6 hours.  Then I got an entire different type of pain in my hips and a few months later down my leg.  Eventually diagnosed as sciatica.  I also have one arm that gives me a lot of trouble.  I was sent to pain mgmnt to get shots in my lower back and lower neck.  This stops both the two areas of pain. 

My first indication of pain issues started as a child with my knees.  The Drs called it "growing pains".  These pains continued into my adult life and were renamed "Restless Leg Syndrome".  I went for years with very little sleep.   In my 40s I started aching everywhere and thought perhaps I'd been bit by a tick or something but was diagnosed as FMS.  I'm not sure that I don't have CFS as well because I am always weak and tired.

At that time, I was told the Arthritis Foundation found FMS to be a disorder caused by lack of RIM sleep which would make sense in my case since I got very little RIM sleep due to my knees.  Eventually I hurt so much that I couldn't differentiate one pain from another.  So I lived with this for years until an MRI of my knees found very mild arthritis and an arthroscope was done.  This did not help so I've had several injections with no added relief.  If I miss one dose of Tramadol, I can't sleep at night due to the aches in my knees.

It is difficult to figure out what pain is FMS and what is arthritis or something else.  Now that I get the injections my overall pain has lessened and the FMS mostly comes in flare ups when I do a lot of housework, travel, exercise, etc.  Otherwise, I have a degree of pain that I have learned to live with. 

I was given a pain patch after RNY for 18 days.  During that time I honestly had zero pain (except for the herniated disc) for the first time in my life.  And, I was able to get up early and sleep all night.  As soon as my 18 days were up, FMS and arthritic knees returned and with it the inability to sleep through the night.   I wi**** had been a pain med for longterm use.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
Recent Topics