I'm a fibromite, considering WLS...

knitteakitty
on 2/8/12 7:03 am
So, I'm new to OH, and to the thought of WLS. I've gained and lost a bazillion pounds on various diets. Dr. Oz did a bit on Gastric Bypass, and said some things that gave me pause to consider if it's right for me. I know sooner or later the weight will kill me if I don't get rid of it for good.

So, having fibro means EVERYTHING hurts. How will this affect me if I go ahead and get surgery. Any thoughts on fibro reactions, pain response, etc?

Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Dawnyel B.
on 2/8/12 12:12 pm - Whittier, CA
I had WLS in 2007, and I was dx Fibro last month. It took me longer to recover than my mom or husband to recover but otherwise everything  was fine!

dianeg49
on 2/8/12 2:11 pm
I have had Fibr going on 5 years now. Unfortunly WLS has made no difference in my Fibro attacks. But on the good side my fibro has not caused major problems with my being banded. I find the biggest problem is when I am in a two week long flare and the pain is crazy, my band seems to tighten up and it is a little harder to eat. I just have to not let my self get super hungry. Also I dont want to exercise when I am in a flare,but I usually make myself. It doesn't make it any worse.
Dianeg49            
Hislady
on 2/9/12 8:09 am - Vancouver, WA

Do research all the 4 basic surgeries the band (which I would never advise anyone to get!) My fibro has gotten significantly worse since I was banded not to mention I only lost 20 lbs and have continued problems with heartburn even with an empty band. Then there is the vertical sleeve gastrectomy where 80% of your stomach is removed including the part that produces the hunger hormone. Next the RNY or bypass where your insides are rerouted and finally the DS or Duodenal Switch which I'm not very familiar with but it is a very good surgery from what I've read about it. With the RNY and DS you have to supplement with alot of vitamins. Unfortunately no matter wat surgery you have it is pretty much agreed here that it doesn't help our fibro at all. Don't let that deter having surgery tho because even if it doesn't help the fibro it is surely going to help with the rest of your aches and pains from the extra weight.

knitteakitty
on 2/9/12 9:50 pm
I guess what I'm wondering about my body's reaction post-op. I tend to have bad flares in response to some medical procedures, and I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with healing or severe pain following surgery.

I'm not a big chicken about pain, normally, but WLS is pretty invasive, and I'm just wondering what to expect/prepare for. Am I going to need help at home? How long? Did anyone have flaring issues post-op?

loretta cowels
on 2/26/12 8:27 pm - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
hi I have fibro and am having surgery on april 16 I know from exsperence that major surgery does put me in a bad flare. Ive descused this with the doctor so we can both be prepared. Last time I had surgery they ended up putting me on a week treatment of steroids to help. But then they thought it was ms. Loretta
kitzunenotsuki
on 2/10/12 3:49 am - ND
RNY on 03/27/12
I'm going to assume it will probably hurt a lot after surgery, however based on my research many people with fibro actually have their symptoms disappear, but I think it depends on what is causing your fibro, everyone is different.
cuddles010982
on 3/6/12 9:57 am - Mt
I have had fibro since I was 16 and am 30 now. I am scheduled for RNY next monday, March 12th 2012. I am worried about the pre op pain being pretty bad but I figure a few days of intense pain is nothing compared to what I live with now. I tend to get very bad headaches so that is a concern for me with the pain meds they are going to be giving me.

I am hoping if I do have pain that in the end I will feel much better having a lower weight.

i will let you know how everything goes for me next week!
Karen P.
on 4/10/12 12:39 am - CO
RNY on 02/13/12
I had my surgery on Feb 13th. It was much more painful than I expected, but I just took the pain meds and moved slowly. As I healed it got better. Back at work and my fibro is acting up again. I did better at home - less stress, able to relax when needed, you know really taking care of myself, which is not an option at work.

WLS is a lot to consider. I was tired of ALL my health problems that were escalating, not just fibro, that's why I chose it.

Most Active
Recent Topics