Fibro and WLS? The verdict?

binaakwe
on 11/3/11 11:07 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
Hellow fellow sufferers. 

I just got my referral.  I am excited.  When/if  I am approved,  a whole lot of my medical problems might go away when I lose the weight.  However, I have heard that fibro doesn't change.  Is this true?

I've was diagnosed with fibro in '94.

Thanks.

- Bin

Hislady
on 11/3/11 2:12 pm - Vancouver, WA
Sorry to say but that seems to be the story for the majority of us. You will of course lose some pain just by getting the weight off of your joints and by being more active. Unfortunately most of us continue to have the fibro pain. On the brite side tho you'll look great while you are in pain!If you can improve even one medical issue tho it's worth it to get the surgery, best of luck to you!
impoopedx3
on 11/6/11 11:29 am - GA
Bin...Congrats on the referral. Yes, a lot of your medical problems will go away, and that is so uplifting. Not fibro, however, from what I can tell. I'm only about 2 months out, and I am trying to figure out what meds work for me now. Lyrica just made me hungry and gain wait before surgery, so I know I don't want to revisit that. Cymbalta helps, but I'm not sure if I read somewhere that capsules don't absorb well after RNY (anyone?). No more NSAIDS, but then they never really helped with fibro pain and really aren't great for you long term anyway. I find many meds don't seem to last as long as before because of malabsorption, but my surgeon doesn't buy this, as he tells me the meds are absorbed in the lower intestine anyway. I've just been taking Lortab when the pain is overwhelming, or a muscle relaxer at bedtime. Not ideal, but something. With the cold weather, I find an electric blanket help so much, but the dang thing quit working, so I guess I'll invest in a new one when I find $$ laying around! 

I will say I've heard different health practitioners views on fibro, and one young rheumy told me the fibro WOULD improve because of metabolic changes after WLS ???? He said the vast majority of patients with fibro are obese, and the metabolic issues cause fibro to be worse. I'd never heard that before, and I've heard plenty. I'm thinking we get obese because we can't MOVE!  Not sure what all this means, but so far no improvement for me. I've lost 35 lbs and have about 65 to go.

Best of luck. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and kick fibro to the curb. If not, we'll be here for you!
Beth

loretta cowels
on 11/18/11 9:13 am - MI
RNY on 04/16/12
when i got fibro i was at my lowest weight of 200 i wish losing weight would cure fibro but its a nerve problem and any size people get it. Its funny though because ive been trying to get life insurence and that what the guy said to that its because im fat and ruined my body and that not all doctors even beleave in fibro. Well us with the pain we all know how real it is. and from the women ive talked to that allready have had there surgerys the fibro dont disappear. I was told when i first got fibro that its caused from a major trama to the body mine came after gallbladder surgery. Loretta
melissa_whitener
on 1/3/12 9:27 pm - PA
RNY on 12/31/13
 i am pre op too and my surgeon said, when i asked about fibro, that some people have seen an improvement in symptoms, but no guarantees.  At least we can look forward to relief on all other issues!!! I am hoping that with less weight on the frame my pain will be less due to lower stress.  Also hoping that I can drop a bunch of drugs and that this might somehow trigger a decrease in fibro pain. Fingers crossed!!
susanmomof4
on 1/6/12 7:25 am
I am sorry to say that my fibro has not gotten better since surgery. I had RNY in sept 2010, have lost aprox 145 lbs and have absolutely no relief from my symptoms. I was hoping the weight loss would help some, but I was not so lucky.  I take lyrica, zanaflex(muscle relaxer), ms contin, anti depressants, and ambien(sleeping pill). They all help make the pain managable, but not pain free.  Even without pain relief, I would have my RNY again in a heartbeat. All the other health benefits have been well worth it. Wishing you sucess and good health.

Susan

anna R.
on 1/19/12 4:00 am
 Most problems go away never to be seen again, Unfortunately fibro and OA are two that don't. As a matter of fact my OA has gotten somewhat worse. Dr warned me ahead of time and he was right. Becoming more active can cause more irritation.

Anna

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/12 4:34 am
VSG on 02/16/12
Hey guys, I know this post is a few months old, but I've been on the Fibromyalgia Forum for a few days trying to see how WLS patients have been managing since surgery. I finally found this one today. I’ve suffered with back pain & Fibromyalgia since before 2001. Now 5 weeks after WLS and beginning to walk more, the pain is becoming unbearable, the worst area is lower back (spine). I have gotten some Tramadol for pain in the past 2 weeks, and my rheumatologist is willing to give me an injection (Kenalog) which I have taken for many years every 3 to 4 months for pain, but I am so afraid to take them now. I believe all the pain meds & other health issue meds contributed to all the weight gain. The Vicodin, Soma, Ultram, etc. I got so tired os popping pills, my doctor started me on the injections. I was not overweight back in 1999/2000 when all this pain started. I have not been cleared by my surgeon’s ofc to use the Flector Patch which would at least take the edge off. There is something in it that could cause bleeding or ulcers. I am calling his ofc again today also. My Rheumatologist wants me to do 45min to an hr in water aerobics & I just cannot do it without an injection & I just feel the injections just might stall my weight loss or have me too hungry more often. Any post op who has fibromyalgia , how are you managing it after surgery, without weigh gain?
binaakwe
on 3/25/12 12:32 pm - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
Time2live,

I would post this as a new topic to catch people's interest.  Its a good question that I, too, would like to hear somw answers for.

I have heard that increased low back pain can happen after rapid weight loss because of the shift of weight on the spine.  For me, I carry most of my weight in my belly and have for 20 years so post-op when that hopefully decreases my spine will suddenly have to deal with a significant change in my centre of gravity.

Best of luck.

- Bin

Referral:     Dec 12, 2011                                        RNY Surgery:         August 13, 2012
          HW:          394 lbs                                                 SW:                        334 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics