FM and WLS Would you do it again??

SissyCortez
on 8/15/08 8:50 am - Fremont, CA

I have a friend who has FM and is scared of WLS.

Should she be afraid?

Let me know please.

Sissy.

Sissy Cortez
OH Support Group Leader Fremont, CA

http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wZcdTQA/

Cindy O.
on 8/15/08 3:01 pm - Bryan, TX
Losing 105#'s has not affected my FMS good or bad.  I'm just skinny and hurting rather than fat and hurting.
Good luck to your friend.
Cindy
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
SissyCortez
on 8/16/08 5:23 am - Fremont, CA
Thank You Cindy for your reply.

Sissy Cortez
OH Support Group Leader Fremont, CA

http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wZcdTQA/

Hislady
on 8/16/08 5:43 am - Vancouver, WA
I agree with the above poster, while I do feel better losing weight it really hasn't resolved the fibro pain and probably shouldn't be expected to. Fibro is muscles pain so unlike pain relief to the joints with weight loss the fibro remains the same. However getting excess weight off is definately going to improve her quality of life and that's what she should look at. While she will still have to deal with the fibro, losing the weight will give her more strength and stamina to deal with it. I would suggest she see a rheumatologist regarding her fibro and maybe they can get her on some type of pain medication to help her cope better. Even tho my WLS has't helped my fibro I'd still do it again in a heartbeat because it has made the rest of my life better.
Christine M.
on 8/16/08 7:45 am - GA
Completely agree with the 2 previous posts. My Fibro is no better or worse but a skinnier body is alot more comfortable (and fun). Christine

mrs. neenaj
on 8/16/08 10:12 am
I'm so glad that I found this forum because I was beginning to feel like a failure. I'm 6 months out and I'm in a lot of pain, especially with sciatica and degenerative disc disease. I've lost a little over 100 lbs and I thought that my fibro would get better for some reason. I am enjoying being smaller and I would definitely do it again.
Photobucket
Debjynx
on 8/18/08 2:41 am - MN

Hi
I have to say my fibro has gotten a lot better.  I had to take pain pills to walk out to my car every day and I actually can go all day without taking anything.  I am having trouble finding a drug that does work now that I've had the surgery.  Currently I'm taking tylenol 3 which does help the fibro somewhat.
Deb

DiTheHuntress
on 8/30/08 6:48 am - Charlotte, NC
I had weight loss surgery first (March 2004) and was then later diagnosed with Fibro (Sept 2004).  Do I think the surgery caused it? NOPE, However I'm sure that because it is a major surgery and that wears and tears on your body and immune system I was probably more prone to the virus I caught three weeks after surgery which is when I my health started to down spiral.

Tell your friend  surgery might cause a flare of her fibro.  Alot depends on her health going into surgery and her aftercare too. I'm happy to report that I had a laproscopic gallbladder removal in 2007 and suffered no FMS flares afterwards.

Tell your friend to educate herself and to take a peek at this article by my FMS/CFIDS/ME Dr. Charles Lapp on Surgery Protocols for FMS patients:

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm?id=8592&T=CFIDS_FM&B1=EM010208C

Hope that helps.
Most Active
Recent Topics