New York Times front page article

mstopgun
on 1/23/08 6:26 am - Myrtle Beach, SC
My sister sent me this article that was on the front page of the New York Times.  I am livid and going to write the NYT and this idiot that wrote the article.

New York Times writer Alex Berenson bashes pharmaceutical companies on a regular basis. But on January 14, 2008 the Times took his distrust of the drug industry too far with an insane article about Lyrica and fibromyalgia: “Drug Approved. Is Disease Real?” It’s a tale about how Pfizer, Eli Lilly, and Forest Laboratories fabricated fibromyalgia so that they could make a fortune selling their drugs to patients who do not really have a disease at all—just problems adapting to the aches and pains of living!

The article trampled the reputation of fibromyalgia patients, their doctors and scientists in the field. Berenson dredged up antiquated beliefs held by three die-hard doctors who truly believe millions of Americans are faking fibromyalgia. The stale theory that pain was not real unless it could be documented with a blood test or X-ray permeated the article.

In response to Berenson’s front-page feature in the NY Times, Fibromyalgia Network solicited statements from researchers and physicians across the country. Visit our website to read what the experts have to say about fibromyalgia and share their comments with anyone who doubts that your symptoms are real.

As for the editors at the NY Times, do not hesitate to voice your opinion and let them know that they flubbed up by attacking people with fibromyalgia, a real disease. E-mail addresses for the News Department, the Public Editor, and the Managing Editor of the NY Times are given at the end of the web page postings from the experts. Feel free to include in your response a few of the valid points made by the experts and ask in your e-mail that the editors at the NY Times publish a quality article on fibromyalgia, its pain and symptoms you struggle with daily.

Don’t let the New York Times set back the amazing progress we have all made these past 20 years. Read the comments from the experts and let your voice be heard—even if it is a brief complaint.

Kindest regards,

Kristin Thorson, Editor Fibromyalgia Network

Fibromyalgia Network ... Helping Patients Since 1988

Add us ([email protected]) to your e-mail address book to ensure that you receive updates on services and savings! PO Box 31750 | Tucson, AZ 85751-1750 | (800) 853-2929 | www.fmnetnews.com 

monax4
on 2/23/08 1:55 pm - Central, CA
Thanks for sending this. I wouldn't wish FMS on anyone but this stuff drives me nuts!
Monax4 SW/227, CW/171, 5'3.25"

Most Active
Recent Topics