Is it fibromyalgia?

monky
on 10/22/07 5:23 am - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 02/20/08 with
Hi everyone. I have felt like I had a fever for about 6 months now.  I know, I tell people that and they are like, what?! My body just aches.  A sore throat comes and goes.  But mostly it is just achiness all the time.  I've been on a round of antibiotics which did nothing, I have had bloodwork which has all come back negative for everything, I have been put on Cymbalta (along with the Effexor I have taken for about a year now) and I pop motrin every 4 hours.  Yet I still feel like this. I've had a history of depression, but do not feel depressed at this time.  I feel like the crazy girl that just is always sick and I don't want to feel like that. After doing some research and telling my doctor that I don't want to self diagnose, but I think I may have fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome, I just feel like a loony. She prescribed the Cymbalta and I have another appointment with her in a month.  She said that if I am still feeling this she will refer me to another doctor.  Could this be fibro?  Is there something that I should be looking for or telling my doctor.  I am so tired of feeling this way. Thank you.
Shanana
on 10/22/07 1:17 pm - Altavista, VA
I was diagnosed by a rheumotologist. They test for trigger points on your body. I was told that this was a diagnosis of exclusion after they ruled out other possibilities. Hope they help you out! I had this for years and never knew it.  Shannon
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. Thomas Carlyle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fibromyalgia/

Darlene H.
on 10/23/07 3:16 am - Pinson, TN
You need her to refer you to a rheumatologist, they will rule out things like lupus and MS, if you have 11 of the 13 point, then they will diagnose you.  I would not wait a month to start this process. Good luck, Darlene H
Darlene Hughes
     Tangled Lights

monky
on 10/23/07 10:37 am - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 02/20/08 with
Thank you ladies.  The doc said that that was the next step (seeing a dr who handles the rheumatoid stuff--sorry I'm not technically knowledgable yet) I may call and make an appt sooner, but I do want to give the Cymbalta time to kick in, at least to say I gave it a try you know. thank you for the info, I really appreciate it!
AmyLucas
on 10/28/07 11:40 am - Jonesboro, AR
Hi! If your doctor is putting you on Cymbalta, she thinks there is a possibility that you do have Fibro. Cymbalta is being used to treat Fibro, a lot now. It is classified as an anti depressant but all the new research thats being done is showing that this illness is not a "true" auto immune disease, musculo-skeletal illness but a neurological one. Brain chemistry in fibro patients are showing that the brain chemicals are out of whack and that it is causing us to read the nerve impulses incorrectly telling our brain that we have pain when we don't. I actually got to watch some video footage of an fMRI on a fibro patient and you could see the changes when the individual was not on medication and then when the medication was given and the brain chemicals become stabilized. You could actually SEE it on the screen. It was completely fascinating!!  It gave me hope for a second. Unfortunately for me, I can't take Anti-depressants. I am chemically sensitive. I have a hard time managing my illness due to this. It really stinks! Oh well, I would go to the Rheumatologist though.  They are the best able to deal with Fibro and the CFS and Myofascial Pain Syndrome, alone with auto immune diseases. I hope you get some answers and some relief! Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics