disablility

angeldore
on 10/3/07 12:10 am
You may have read this on the main forum, but, have any of you ever tried to apply for disability for your condition? I am always in chronic pain dut to this damn fybro, & was curious if I could apply & what i need to do to get the proccess going. Angelic

Jay K.
on 10/4/07 2:05 am - Madison Heights, MI
it's been quite a while now but when i was first put on disability i called the social security administration and applied over the phone.  they sent me some paper work for an appointment with one of their doctors who i saw one time and then i was approved.  From what i hear i was the exception and most people get denied a few times before being approved on appeals filed by law firms.  One thing to note is that when i was approved, i was paid for the previous year prior to being approved so if you have to fight for it, it's worth it, there could be a lot of money involved. Good luck. 

-----------------------
"See God, Kai"
-John S01EP3

Shanana
on 10/7/07 9:40 am - Altavista, VA
I was approved in July for fibro as well as a couple other conditions. Great medical records is all I can say about my speedy approval. I applied previously before this diagnosis and was denied. Would be glad to talk to you more about it. Send me an email [email protected]. I applied online at www.ssa.gov . They made a phone call and completed app the first time. I made it thru work after first denial for 9 days and then again months later for 4. That messed up getting any back pay. I am grateful for it now but would much rather be working. I know its not possible right now. Thank God I have lost alot of weight . Cant imagine the pain of fibro and also the ruptured disk in my back. Some meds work for back and not fibro and vice versa. Another reminder is not to wait to file for disability. You have to make sure you have enough work credits with in the last so many years/months to qualfy so dont wait. If you go to drs make sure everything is documented and let them know that it must be. Good luck and hope to hear from you! Shannon
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. Thomas Carlyle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fibromyalgia/

abbiemarie
on 10/7/07 11:36 am - Crawfordville, FL

I was diagnosed several years ago, but fortunately, it has never kept me from being able to work.  However, my husband determines disability for SS.  He has seen very few cases approved and tells me that there is not even a "listing" for Fibromyalgia.  He also says that there are a lot of other things taken into consideration such as age, education, work history and other medical/mental health conditions.   Keep in mind that not everyone needs an attorney.  If you are denied, by law, you should receive the information on how to file for a "hearing" and that process can be completed w/o the assistance of an attorney, who is only looking for $$$ and may not even do anything to assist you until it goes to the hearing.  Attorneys are allowed to charge you 25% of your back pay or a pre-determined set amount.  If you feel that you need an attorney, I would suggest that you wait until you get to the hearing stage so that the attorney cannot charge you for the time prior to the hearing. Good luck, Abbie

Abbie    290/224.8/150

"There's always an alternative and sometimes you have to give up to get."  Neil Monroe

Shanana
on 10/7/07 11:52 pm - Altavista, VA
They listed mine as musculoskeletal with other diagnoses behind it. Glad it all came together for me. Medical documentation is what did it. I suffered for so many years just to have it blamed on being overweight. Now they cant blame that and finally figured some stuff out. Wish I were able to work. I am also on other meds and pain meds so would not hold a job without nap or cry breaks at this point. Thanks  and nice to meet you! Shannon
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. Thomas Carlyle

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fibromyalgia/

barbiej
on 10/17/07 10:25 pm - Goodlettsville, TN
I have been diened twice, now I have to go in front of a judge, but I've been told by several folks that TN. is the hardest. To I have worked on this since Jun. 22, 04. The lawyer said my court date should be coming up real soon. It has been a real fight.  But I have so many more comobidities.  God Bless you. Hugs Barb

scmartin
on 10/18/07 1:02 pm - arlington, TX

I was approved on the first try without an attorney so it is possible. Just make sure that you have all of your medical documentation and it also helps if the Dr is willing to work with you. It will take a long time but just dont give up!  Sherri

Darlene H.
on 10/23/07 3:19 am - Pinson, TN
I have been on disability for about 4 years.  I did get denied several times and ended up having to get a lawyer.  I got 2 years backpay because that is far back as they go now.  I am on it for CFS, FMS and neuropathy. Darlene
Darlene Hughes
     Tangled Lights

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/08 1:29 pm - Westerville, OH
i have been on STD, and am currently on LTD from work.  I just applied for SSDI.  I have so many things wrong with me.  I pretty much live in a recliner with a heat/massage pad.  It sucks.
Most Active
Recent Topics